Who has a Little Giant 4HT laying around?

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Coils sprung a leak somewhere in the middle after descaling my machine...

Name
Marcus
Sorry about your leak may need a new coil
I use kero heater no leaks in 8 years but it's not stainless steel so I doesn't work well
If you only use acid rinse.....
I think it cost about 600$ to replace the coil.....
Don't know what yours might cost

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Radiator shop. They can work magic if you can't solder. It's just copper and pretty easy to repair.

Gene

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
The leak is in a very hard place to get to. We'd have to cut the return tube ok half and pull the cools apart then compress back together and couple the return tube together. The radiator shop is pretty iffy on doing it.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Can't be that expensive to try. Old timers are better for those type of jobs. The place i go has been there since the 50's and I think the guys to. They see a challenge not a problem.

Gene

Reactions: Desk Jockey

John Olson

Name
John Olson
if the split is on top you have a 50-50 shot at a repair but don't ever go over 500 psi again or it will continue to split. In the middle not worth trying. Even repair the coils eventually give out in other areas. As for just replacing the coil on a 4HT pretty sure 600 doesn't come close to the cost I think the 2ht is 7-800

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I had the coil in my LP heater (black pipe PW coil) completely plug up where nothing would go through it.

My bad for not running Muratic acid through it in 10 years of daily use.

I had to pull it and replace it with another one this weekend.

heater1.jpg

heater2.jpg

heater3.jpg

This coil going in is not new. I've had it for 14 years sitting in the shop. It was slightly different (has center tap for thermostat probe), and had no shield around it, so I took it to my welder who removed the shield from the plugged up coil, and he welded it to the "new" coil. Then I had to add a second hole in the heater case for the probe to reach the coil.

I also clenaed out the burner jets while I had it in the shop.

Today I"ll put the insulation blanket around the heater coil, and get it ready for the van.

It's 11º today.:frown:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom