Who has subcontracted?

Walt

When I first moved to Portland I had no contacts, no ads, no work and a brand new vortex. How that happened is a long story. After a couple of months of not working I answered an ad in the paper for a subcontractor. I didn't really want to do, but it was better than sitting at home.

The guy hired me on the spot. In a month I was running all his work. I was working my butt off for him. I sold a boat load of carpet protector. But at every opputunity I did flyers, talked to businesses, and handed out business cards for my business.

After 6 months I quit (mostly because his checks kept bouncing). I still did overflow for a couple of other companies around town for a year or two after that.

All in all it was a good experience. Never made much money, but it got me out of bed and motivated every morning. My recommendation to anybody is get out as soon as you can, but it wasn't a bad place to start.

Anybody else?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
When I moved from San Jose to Sacramento I worked for a Chem-Dry for a while. The plan was to be semi retired after selling my Chem-Dry Franchise in San Jose....whattyagonnado?

After a while I got sick of working for someone else (as usual) and bought some equipment and a van.

I did subwork for about a year just to keep me busy while I built my business on the side.

I could have stolen every one of their clients...but didn't.

Anyway, subbing in a new area is a great way to jumpstart you while you jumpstart your business.

EDIT: Just for the record, I worked for 50% too. !gotcha!

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I tried it for a week many years ago. I didn't feel comfortable with it, just seemed to be a conflict of interest. I would pull up in my labeled van and sell someonelses company. The customer wanted to know how to contact me.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
Yeah I have subbed recently as well. This business was going strong until I moved to Reno/Tahoe NV in '09 to try and fix my marriage, run this biz and manage my friends carpet/waterdamage co. Didn't work... LOL..... so I came back in Sept '10 with only $3,000 and my van/equipment. Called Brian R and he was nice enough to give me carpet jobs with repairs and t/g cleans. I was able to get some of my old apt/prop mgmt co's back and advertise online to get back on my feet again. I would recommend it to anyone starting out, beats sitting around hoping the phones gonna ring.

bigchuckie

Yup I sub. I do work for a guy I have never met but talk to sometimes. He is about 250 miles from me. I do his accounts and represent HIS company.I take my POV and wear street clothes. I never leave my card or contact info. I do top notch work and get paid better than average. I wish I could get more sub work of the same caliber and ditch my TT job

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
bigchuckie said:
Yup I sub. I do work for a guy I have never met but talk to sometimes. He is about 250 miles from me. I do his accounts and represent HIS company.I take my POV and wear street clothes. I never leave my card or contact info. I do top notch work and get paid better than average. I wish I could get more sub work of the same caliber and ditch my TT job

If you don't mind me asking. Do you get paid a %? Per job? Hourly? Or...?

bigchuckie

bigchuckie said:
Brian it is by the job

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom