who pays most of the time?

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
what do you think the split is between ins pay and homeowner pay? do you collect anything at the time of loss when its ins covered or is it totally ins paid if ins covers it?

i would assume you would collect the deductible at time of loss but??

thanks

also chavez sent me a copy of his work auth form (huge thanks) anyone else willing to email or mail me one?

i want to give several of them to my lawyer and have him craft mine from several..

thanks!!

carpethog@gmail.com

i am taking my wdr class next month and will be pursuing lots of education..and asking lots of questions..

thanks dave

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We do a decent amount of uninsured work, just guessing but 15-20 percent. More in years of heavy storms.

Yes we always collect something, $250.00 in the day, $500.00 after ho urs and weekend
s, I want them to have some skin in the game.
You don't know how many times I heard "it has to be done" or "oh no I don't need an estimate " only to have them change their mind once I told them we would need to collect a portion prior to starting. If you can't collect it when their home is in peril, you'll never collect it once its dry.

Plus you really do need the upfront money to cover wages while you complete the drying, get the home back together and bill and wait on payment. We take checks or Visa and Mastercard.

Also watch out for third party payments! Again if the homeowner won't sign as being ultimately responsible for payment should the plumber, roofer or appliances store not follow through with payment, we are going to walk.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Very similar to Richard for exact same reasons. Once you get burned a few times with not receiving anything upfront you'll certainly start. I've worked with about 10 different restoration companies within the time of private estimating "career". Some collect the full deductible up front, or did similar to Rich depending on time of the call. Also some also based their deposit on the category of loss it was. For Cat 1 - $150 during reg hours, and $300 for after. And for anything Cat 2 & 3 - 250 during, and 4-500 for after hours. When you start getting hot and heavy or a storm hits you're going to really need the cash flow those deposits bring im.

I've watch people nearly or completely go under because they couldn't pay the costs in between waiting for payments. I learned that hard way working with/for people who didn't take deposits to start work, and ended up getting screwed myself on my portion of the work.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Most honest people understand the cost of doing this type of business, the delay in getting paid from the insurance company.

We are direct with them, after asking what happened and where, we get all their info then we explain what we do. What they can do before we get there we give them a ball park figure from what they described. We then let them know we can have a crew there within the hour and all we will need is a work authorization signed and a check for a portion of their deductible.

Most say no problem and we roll a truck, if they do hedge on money we explain why (cash flow) and then they roll. Every now and then someone doesn't want to pay and we wish them good luck and they find someone else.

Now there can be extenuating circumstances, a neighbor calls in for a house he is watching, if it's in a decent neighborhood we may just get a work authorization signed until we can contact the owner by phone, email or fax. A business possibly the same way, but not all businesses are treated the same. We got a call from a bar on a Sunday morning said part of the bar was flooded, owner out of town only manager available, just wanted it done did care about cost BUT couldn't pay anything.

When they don't care about cost....it sends up a red flag. I care about costs and if they don't it's many time because they don't plan to pay you. Those people we make sure they understand the costs involved and we collect something. The deadbeats usually wilt when you start talking costs and that you need some money tonight/day.

The bar...ummm NO we didn't go, we referred them to our competition, they are always looking for more water work. :icon_twisted:

Be careful out there but have fun!

I love the WDR business......I waz born for this shit!
:rockon:

YouNeedChavez.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Dave, I sent you a big pdf attachment w/ all the forms we use.

I always have at least 6 folders on me at all times w/ those forms, just in case I get a call, you never know when it happens.

I agree with Richard and Steven.

Richard,

Funny you bring that up, that just happened to me 2 nights ago.

I got the call for a basement flood, arrived @ scene almost entire basement flooded, spoke to homeowner, and they wanted the water out NOW and remove carpet, I told them no problem we just need our work authorization signed so we can begin work (they asked why and many questions after 20-30 mins of answering questions), I tell them we will also require the deductible at this time in order for us to commence work (red flag - they say ugh huh ugh what? why?), after spending another 20 mins explaining "why" (this @ 10pm too), they try to do the "we're not worried about costs and just need it done tonight, tomorrow we'll pay the deductible). I told them I'll be more than happy to start the work tonight, but it'll still be the deductible @ the very min $500 to start. Long story short, we did not get the job.

Oh and Travellers was going there the next day...so we all know what happened there. Good thing I didn't get a call from an adjuster telling me how to do my job...

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Work authorization is a must! Complete with homeowners policy info.

deductible, at least for us is not a must. Securing the job and commencing drying is what is most important for us.

we can always lien on the property if payment isn't made or insurance was not valid for any reason. Have been burned yet but I think Chavez has many times.

collecting 250 seems very logical and covers your immediate cost and let you operate in the green.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Hell yes I've been burned!

I'm no brainiac all my info is taken from life experiences over the last 4-decades.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom