Who uses OZONE machine for odors? Positives and Negatives??

jstucky

Name
Jordan Stucky
Thinking about getting into/buying an OZONE machine.

I don't know really anything about them.

What is basic science of it?
What is standard charge for doing cars with smoke smell or houses with smoke smell?

Seems to me like it's common sense that it won't do get rid of urine odor and from what I've read that's the case.

What are advantages and disadvantages of it?
What are the best machines?

Thanks!

Jordan

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Whatever the source of the odor, you will need to get rid of the source and then clean the surfaces. Ozone can be used to get rid of the final bits of odor.

Ozone is oxygen with 3 atoms in a molecule rather than the usual two atoms forming a molecule. When an ozone molecule comes in contact with anything that will accept the "extra" atom of oxygen, whatever it has contacted is oxidized or changed molecularly to a new substance. This new molecule may either 1) have no odor or 2) be unstable and break down into basic gases that have no odor.

DISADVANTAGES
Since ozone works on a molecule at a time level, it works rather slowly.
Ozone in concentrated amounts is harmful to living things including people, plants, pets or whatever. This can range from allergy like symptoms to more serious damage to lung tissue. It should be used in unoccupied areas.
Over enough time, ozone can damage soft plastics making them hard and brittle.
Ozone can weaken natural latex rubber.

ADVANTAGES
Ozne machines don't need to be refilled with chemicals.
Ozone is slow but very thorough. It will eventually contact all the odor molecules.
Ozone breaks down to oxygen after the third atom reacts. So there is no residual odor, fragrance or any kind of chemical people can object to. (After the job is finished out ventilated.)

In many situations where people or animals need to be present, I prefer Vaportek. But there are places and jobs where ozone is just the right thing.

Avoid over-using inside automobiles. Short term use should not be a problem, but using it for 12 -24 hours or such would do some damage to plastic and rubber components.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom