Who Was Your Mentor?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Some comments on another thread here made me think about how much we owe those who helped us get started in business.

In our case, it was a man who taught my father how to wash walls. That might seem like a low demand service to most of you, but in the early 60's, wall washing was as important a service to carpet cleaners as upholstery cleaning and tile and grout cleaning are today.

No one helped my father with the carpet cleaning part of his business; in fact he was treated fairly badly by the president what was then the National Institute of Rug Cleaners (now RIA) when he went to him for help early on.

But Pat Shriane (who is still around today; his son runs the business now) was a carpet cleaner who helped a guy who lived 5 minutes from him learn how to do what was then a very valuable service.

Thanks to Pat for helping my father Lee. Lee has been trying to pay it forward ever since.

Who do you owe as much to as we both do Pat?

Reactions: Bjorn

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I would like ta thank the old world religious fanatics that raised me....If they hadn't tied me to that hard black chair every Saturday and yelled scripture at me....who knows how I might a turnt out.....!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Ed York would be a main one.

Through his efforts he was instrumental in offering training all across the country. He picked some of the best instructors in the industry for his classes and we were fortunate enough to attend many of them. Your father taught me so much about restoration at a class in Phoenix in the early 1980's. I was far to young and inexperienced to realize how valuable the training was at the time but thankfully I took good notes and we were able to apply much of what he was teaching.

So many have helped so much here are the one's I can think of off the top of my head Ed York, Lloyd Weaver, Cliff Zlotnik, Lee Pemberton, Murry Cramer, Walley Weber, Jeff Bishop, Woody Gosnell, Claude Blackburn, the SfS gang (Steve, Bill, Chuck), Pete Consigli.

We used Pete for many years training our tech's and agents & adjusters classes and consulting with Dan & I. Pete is like a computer he knows everything and helped us in so many was from formal training to simple things off the cuff in a dinner conversation.

I know I left a lot of the current people out, but these are some of the main ones that helped us form our company early on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Larry Cobb

Bjorn

Learned tons from Jim Pemberton and not exactly carpet cleaner either

The best advice I got and still get is from Tony Wheelwright the man knows how to run a business and know his rugs and all the little tricks I learned along the way.

I also learned a ton from Judson Jones

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
My former boss, worked there for 6 years.

She was a total class act and very good businesswoman.
Never swore, showed anger, did anything underhanded, nothing. Always knew the right thing to say.

Its funny whenever steve t talks about business systems, she was exactly like him. Great administrator, too bad she could never get me to do any of it :numfi: :shifty:

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Danny Strickland
Ed York would be a main one.

Through his efforts he was instrumental in offering training all across the country. He picked some of the best instructors in the industry for his classes and we were fortunate enough to attend many of them. Your father taught me so much about restoration at a class in Phoenix in the early 1980's. I was far to young and inexperienced to realize how valuable the training was at the time but thankfully I took good notes and we were able to apply much of what he was teaching.

So many have helped so much here are the one's I can think of off the top of my head Ed York, Lloyd Weaver, Cliff Zlotnik, Lee Pemberton, Murry Cramer, Walley Weber, Jeff Bishop, Woody Gosnell, Claude Blackburn, Pete Consigli.

We used Pete for many years training our tech's and agents & adjusters classes and consulting with Dan & I. Pete is like a computer he knows everything and helped us in so many was from formal training to simple things off the cuff in a dinner conversation.

I know I left a lot of the current people out, but these are some of the main ones that helped us form our company early on.

I took a couple classes from Pete, Jeff Bishop and a few more. My fav had to be Steve Swan. lots of real world knowledge and wasn't afraid to speak the truth.

Tom Zurzolo in Atlanta (EverClean) gave me my best opportunity as far as being a technician. We cleaned lots of commercial carpet and furniture in that city back in the mid 90's. Sitting in on Shaw Ind first class in Denver with Bill Yeadon when they tried vertical intergration was a good experience.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I was surprised how involved you were with the industry. Here I thought you were just a some dumbass.

I had you pegged all wrong! Turns out you were an involved dumbass. :winky:

Have a good one Daniel! :biggrin:

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
A friend named Jim McCloud had an office cleaning business. I wanted to start a business so Jim taught me the ropes of the janitorial business. I started my cleaning business in 1982. Then in 1983 I was introduced to a friend of a friend who needed to sub out some commercial carpet cleaning in my area. His name was Frank DiGloria. Frank showed me how to clean commercial carpet, and then subbed a handful of stores to me. Back then it was a 2 step process Shampoo first, then Extract with a box extractor. From that point on I started to grow my commercial carpet cleaning business and I gradually phased out of office cleaning and window washing. Going forward through the mid 80's and thru the 90's I was doing lots of commercial carpet cleaning as well as a lot of high speed floor care. As I approached the end of the 90's we were servicing commercial carpet almost entirely, with only a small amount of floor care on the side.

Throughout the 80's and 90's I constantly searched for better ways to handle commercial carpet. I went back to the industry again and again trying to find the best way to successfully service commercial carpets. I wanted to find a system that was consistent, simple enough to train our techs, I wanted to eliminate the constant problem of wicking and recurring spill stains, and the system needed to be profitable. I just kept banging my head against the wall. :hopeless: The response I got from the industry in those years before message boards was: "try this... try this... try this." So I complied. I filled up a good sized storage unit with all the stuff I tried and then stopped using because it wasn't what I had hoped for. I tried, Scrub & Extract, CFR, Host, RX-20, walk behind extractors, Von Schrader, bonnet cleaning, bonnet brushes, a plethora of chemicals (a couple of interesting ones were Ultrachem Labs & LST), Chemstractors, and then finally crystallizing chemistry with the Cimex.

I often think back to my old friend Frank. I'm ever grateful for his guidance in my early years. It's so much easier for cleaners today though. There's great information on forums like this one. Enduring a course of "trial and error" year after year is no longer needed. Today's commercial cleaner can simply order a good encap detergent and get a scrubber that suits the style of accounts they want to service. No more guess work! But you know what, I don't regret the learning curve that lead me to this. To quote the old Grateful Dead song "what a long strange trip it's been". :headbang:

P.S. My favorite IICRC instructor was Bob Wittkamp. He lived in my town up until he died. Bob was a great guy to bounce ideas off of. Sadly he died of cancer a few years ago. So Bob is another person that rates high on my list of positive influences in the industry. Here's a page I put on our website when Bob died... http://www.excellent-supply.com/Bob_Wittkamp.htm

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
A guy named John Stahl taught me how to sell in Chicago. He would say " What's the worst they can say is no." He also said "You have no now. If you ask you might get yes".

Another guy named Todd Hustel modeled for me what a great manager is day in and day out. Best guy I ever worked for.

Gary Ware He taught me to manage projects, people and management. He was the master at motivating people.

6 Years ago I met a spunky Catholic with a pension for Guinness on line and then for lunch at a Panera Bread. He spent time one on one and opened doors for me to meet a plethora of this industries nicest and best people. Ken Snow spent several hour's with me on the phone, He encouraged me to participate on this dysfunctional venue. Mike has many times helped me on tech issues, Richard has helped me through a few water jobs, then last year I met Mr.' Appleby. I probably refer to his talk monthly if not more on handling your staff. I could listed a dozen other folks who I have called and have helped us manage through change or challenges.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell
Name
jack zerkie
I also knew Bob whittkamp met him in 1983 in St Pete at Rons store at a carpet seminar Bob used a lot of prespray prior to cleaning for better results. I still use Bobs method and pride my results for cleaning dirty white carpets. Thank you Bob a great guy. jz.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
John was lucky enough to mentor under a cleaner in the area over 20 years ago when he got started in the business. At the time he had to do that for his IICRC certifications. Since I've been involved with the company, my mentors started with Steve Toburen, Chuck Violand and Bill Yeadon and their esteemed leader, Papa Nick, after the first time I did SFS. I continue to call on these fine gentlemen. That Jeff Cross guy isn't too bad either...when you can get him to smile.

I have added Tom King to my list most recently. I hope to pick his brain more in the near future and look forward to meeting him in Clearwater. Then there is that Mikey guy...met him in Frisco last year and he quickly won me over.

I love how MOST of us help each other and lift each other up. That is how it should be. We wouldn't be where we are without the help and encouragement of others. I strive to follow their example and have worked with a few folks that I met though SFS that have sought me out as their mentor, and others I've met through other industry events.

Aside from the industry mentors...I have ones from my past work experiences that have taught me things that are relevant in our business today.

I know as we grow and change, there will be new mentors that come along. I can't wait to meet them. Because, there is always someone you can learn from. If you find you are the smartest person in the room....then you are in the wrong room.

F

FB7777

I took a couple classes from Pete, Jeff Bishop and a few more. My fav had to be Steve Swan. lots of real world knowledge and wasn't afraid to speak the truth.

Tom Zurzolo in Atlanta (EverClean) gave me my best opportunity as far as being a technician. We cleaned lots of commercial carpet and furniture in that city back in the mid 90's. Sitting in on Shaw Ind first class in Denver with Bill Yeadon when they tried vertical intergration was a good experience.
Considering yore current employment , I figured it was the Tidy Bowl Man

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I would not say that I had a mentor, but there were several who had a major influence on my role in the industry. I think the first of several classes I took from Jeff Bishop was late 1970s. Jeff told me about SCT where I met Ed York and worked with him for several years. Steve Toburen helped with training my staff. I got lots of practiceteaching classes and also learned something about the back-stabbing that sometimes goes on in this industry from Clint Townsend. Doyle Bloss is largely responsible for my move to Utah and going corporate.

Time spent at SCT (ISCT / SCRT) with Bill Yeadon and Joel Reets also influenced me as did time at IICRC with Jim Pemberton.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

hogjowl

Idiot™
I had no mentor. In fact, I am surprised I made it in this industry from 1988 until around 1999 when I found the old ICS forum. But once I found the forums, all you assholes taught me how to clean.

I already knew how to take naps.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I remember seeing you and Jimmy going at each other back in those days. I'd read it and laugh at what assholes you were.

Funny how times change but people DON'T. ;)

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I have learned a lot from the folks here at MB, sometimes in unusual ways. I remember a period where everyone was posting videos of their wand technique. I decided on the one that was the best by which video was made fun of the least - None of them was hailed by all as the right way to do it.....

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Came by it watching my family....and it surprises me that they were able to do as well as they have done with our location in the Northern Frozen tundra...:lol:

My uncle Merle Reck started our family in this industry by pure chance and..... we all ran with it.....

My father (Don Saiger) still to this day loves the industry and loves watching us kids doing well....

But.....

I will never be able to live up to what my dad has done for the cleaners in the upper Midwest as he helped mount and install 23 direct drive truckmounts (making a lot of the parts to do it himself) FOR FREE!

By For Free, he helped find the equipment to do so, the people would purchase the equipment, but my dad would take a day or so, drive out to their location, do the install.....

AND NOT TAKE ONE DIME FOR HIS TIME! :biggrin:

He also gave a lot of cleaning assistance to other cleaners who would hear about him and call him. He was always working to find better cleaning agents, modify equipment and do his best to be a better cleaner everyday.

How can a kid not be proud of his dad :)

Now it is my turn to try and give back in some manner to this industry....

Don't think I can ever match what my father did (he set the bar high)

So, having the chance to also meet the greats from Jon Don, Interlink and many of you, just makes it even more fun to be part of this industry (and Mikey's Board)

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
My father-- because he had great mentors who would give him business books to study- I don't think my dad ever read them but he would give the books to me to read and ask for my "Cliff Note report".
I soaked up that information like a sponge!

I learned a lot from my father's Mistakes--I remember thinking-- "Gee dad- That looked painful- Ill try not to repeat That when I get older"

My father always pushed my sister and me to try harder and not settle for "good enough". He would always say, "You can do better"-- and at the time my sister and I hated him for saying that.-- we are better because he did that.

Two of his sayings were: "Nice guys have skinny Kids!" And "If you believe like everyone is a complete idiot, you will never be disappointed"-- haha

He gave my sister and ,I an amazing life growing up on a limited income--

I wish MY kids had a father as great as he is.-- I didn't push/ challenge my kids enough. It was difficult for me to punish my kids.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
... I don't regret the learning curve that lead me to this. To quote the old Grateful Dead song "what a long strange trip it's been". :headbang:
Unlike Rick I DO have some "regrets". :) But "it is what it is" and I'm grateful for what this industry has provided me.

My first mentor literally ran his little cleaning business out of the trunk of his white Oldsmobile. (And no, it wasn't Howard Partridge!) Gene's small company provided for his family (today he has over 400 employees) and gave him a lot of freedom too. So at the tender age of 16 I asked Gene how to get into the cleaning industry. He shared two little tips that I built my business on:

1) "Steve, all I sell is people."

2) "Keep the chrome in the washrooms bright and shiny and your clients won't notice the other stuff you miss!"

I learned LOTS from other people in this business during the 70's and 80's. Jeff Bishop, Mack Clark (still one of the best speakers I ever heard), Ed York, Martin King (no relation to Tom), Ron Toney and a lot of others that I can't remember right now. I kept hearing about a little Irish guy that worked for Baneclene but never met him. (Even though I got a little digest every month with a "Jiminy Cricket" on it that he produced.)

Once again, I'm grateful. As my friend Jeff Cutshall says, "I'm not worthy." And so it is...

Steve

PS Jim, I learned a lot from your Dad. I still remember a seminar he gave in Colorado Springs where he shared what has become an abiding principle of SFS, "Make every task doable by people of a low order of skill." Then he stated this came from a new book called "The E-Myth" by a guy named Michael Gerber. I read the book (5 or 6 times) and Gerber's concepts became the backbone of my company. So I really appreciate Lee too!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom