Who's gonna fill their shoes?

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
I’m sitting in my office on this beautiful Sunday afternoon still worn out from Vegas, planning for the upcoming week. As I sit here reflecting on our visit to Connections, I cannot help but to ask myself questions;

Among the many questions to myself is this; What did I learn from this trip to the shiny city in the desert?

Lisa and I were only in town for a couple of days and only had enough time to visit the trade show on Thursday afternoon. It only took this short visit to the trade show to realize and confirm what I had already known. This industry is alive and well! Thank Goodness

Getting to visit with Steve Toburen and Bill Yeadon with Jon Don was worth the trip in and of itself. However, I must have somehow overlooked the memo. For had I know that Jon Don was forming a bowling league, I would have cheerfully signed up long ago.

It was very refreshing to visit with Lisa Wagner for a few minutes during Jon Don’s reception party Thursday evening. Thanks Lisa, and I wish you much continued success!

Was the trip worth the cost? Absolutely! There is not a better feeling in the world for me at least, than escaping the hustle and bustle of business for a day or two. I’ve always viewed these little excursions as a form of cleansing.

Saturday evening I was sitting in an exterior area of my home that my wife affectionately refers to as “Ivan’s Perch”, enjoying a refreshing cocktail, listening to my 15 year old daughters IPOD. In a play list that she had titled “Dads songs” was a song that was sung by country singer George Jones, titled; “Who’s gonna fill their shoes”.

I’m not exactly sure why she had loaded this classic into my play list, as I’m not really a country music fan.

At any rate, as it played I couldn’t help but to think about our own industry and the many ICONS who are so intricately linked to it. Nic Paolella, Steve, Bill, Cliff Z, Lisa Wagner, Brandon Burton, Howard Partridge, Scott Warrington, Jeff Bishop and so many others. I began to silently wonder what our industry would look like when these folks are gone.

Who would be the next generation of “Great ones” to appear and play on the stage that we affectionately call our industry”?

Have a wonderful Sunday!

Thanks,

Ivan

harryhides

Name
Tony
Don't worry about it Ivan, seems like you are always getting reminiscent after a few. You should write a journal. I'd have thought that you needed "cleansing" AFTER being in Vegas.

There are tons of smart younger people ( too many to name here ) in our industry, inventing, teaching and setting great examples of better ways to do things.

F

FB7777

that'll be the day Ivan

Guys like Partridge and Polish are always recruiting new 'wealths of knowledge' to add to their seminars

Like Tony said, there are plenty of great minds out there.

Every person you eluded to sells their knowledge to this industry lest we forget... not there is anything at all wrong with that.

Its just not something anyone needs to be concerned with... as long as there are people in this industry, there will be people available to sell them information

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
Fred,

I agree with what you said. I certainly never meant to say that the group listed were an all inclusive. I was simply naming a handfull that are regulars at Connections. I'm sure that there are many who contribute here on this board that also fit the bill.

Thanks,

Ivan

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Gosh, Tony, it didn't hit me till I read your usual affectionate and slightly cynical but never snarky post that I missed my favorite industry curmudgeon in Las Vegas. I hope you are doing well.

Island Boy

PS If "having a few" will bring my writing up to Ivan's level I may have to increase my likker intake.

And Mikey, if you will put on a dress and play Mrs. Doubtfire at a SFS in 2009 I'll pick up your tab. (We had to ban Yeadon in a dress. It scared our attendees too much.)

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
Where the hell were you Ivan? I would have liked to meet you. Next time you go to connections, stay away from those stuffy classes for once.

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
Hi Vincent,

Sorry I missed you in Vegas. Heck we only live an hour and a half apart, so give me a call sometime and I'll buy you lunch when I'm in the STL. area.

I didn't have enough time to attend any classes. I did to spend some time with my wife which made the trip well worth it!

Thanks,

Ivan

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
One more thing. Can we let the bowling shirts die a peaceful death? Yeadon and I were less than enamored about wearing them and hopefully we can be back to our sharp Jon-Don polo shirts next year!

IB

PS On the other hand, they did make people sit up and talk, as in "Man, where did you guys dredge up those shirts???"

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Yes, Mike, I always enjoyed your sartorial splendor during the show too.

IB

PS You are a genius, Mike, at internet pot stirring. However, with all the respect in the world (especially given your height advantage over me) I would say you are a bit "wardrobe challenged".

harryhides

Name
Tony
Steve, I have been far to busy preparing for my imminent retirement to attend this year.
Seeing you and Bill in kilts would definitely be a "must see" !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom