Who's Right

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
My helper and I disagree on the best way to clean a trashed carpet. I personally run in to very few. Since he will accuse this board of agreeing with me I won't say who believes what. One of us believes that the wand should be moved at a slower rate to allow the water to flush out the crap and then vacuum strokes and the other believes moving the wand as fast as possible making multiple passes without letting go of the trigger and then going back for vacuum strokes. Thanks

Gene

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
THE BOSS IS ALWAYS RIGHT j/k IMO move the wand slow, then dry.

R

rotovacguy

#2 for me. I wouldn't say move it as fast as I possibly can, but fairly quick, using the wand for a bit of agitation. That is, of course, after a thorough scrubbing from the 175.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Option #1, but only after a thorough preconditioning. You will use your wand just to flush all that you have presprayed and agitated. The density of the yarn and the amount of soil will determine how fast you move the wand. Very very slow strokes if heavily soiled thick carpet.

Name
Ron lippold
I only use water on the back stroke and on a trashed place real slow i CAN use 120 gallons on a 2 bedroom apt 750 sq ft

-JB-

Name
JB
I'm w/Ron slow and flushit!

Ya gotta a big turd ya wanna flush twice or just once?

I thought so! :mrgreen:

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
The slower you go the more thermal heat transfer you get to the carpet and also the chance for more moisture to pass down to the face of the fiber. Also you will be gettin better moisture recovery which means less moisture/soil is being shot down deeper in the fiber.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Well I guess I enjoy the best of both worlds. I will do a "fairly" slow stroke, dry stroke and then a "fairly" quick stoke and then dry stroke again. Who knows what is best.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
GeneMiller said:
My helper and I disagree on the best way to clean a trashed carpet. I personally run in to very few. Since he will accuse this board of agreeing with me I won't say who believes what. One of us believes that the wand should be moved at a slower rate to allow the water to flush out the crap and then vacuum strokes and the other believes moving the wand as fast as possible making multiple passes without letting go of the trigger and then going back for vacuum strokes. Thanks

Gene

Your helper won't like my answer. YOU are the boss - so whatever you say is the correct answer. NEVER let a helper try to tell you that you are wrong. Fire him and hire one of the millions that are out of work. He will learn to keep his mouth shut and say "YES BOSS, whatever you say" :D

royalkid

Supportive Member
Name
Gulf Coast Carpet Care
Greg, he never said his helper said he was "wrong", he said they disagreed. A lot of employees may disagree with the boss, but still do the boss's way.

I have had employees who had more years of experience than me and showed me a trick or two...just because you're the boss doesn't mean they don't know what they're talking about.

royalkid said:
Greg, he never said his helper said he was "wrong", he said they disagreed. A lot of employees may disagree with the boss, but still do the boss's way.

I have had employees who had more years of experience than me and showed me a trick or two...just because you're the boss doesn't mean they don't know what they're talking about.

I hired a guy that worked for several companies and he taught me a lot. When he cleaned a room that had bad wear patterns he would wet the carpet down with the wand even though the carpet was presprayed and make small hard chop strokes back and forth over the badly soiled area and then go back over it with a slower stroke. This produces the best results than just pulling the wand back slow.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
danielc said:
royalkid said:

I hired a guy that worked for several companies and he taught me a lot. When he cleaned a room that had bad wear patterns he would wet the carpet down with the wand even though the carpet was presprayed and make small hard chop strokes back and forth over the badly soiled area and then go back over it with a slower stroke. This produces the best results than just pulling the wand back slow.

Sounds like he was used to using lousy chemicals before coming to work for you?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
"IF" you pre-spray quality juice in sufficient quantity ..then..

slow flush/rinse extract is superior.

sawing back and forth w/keyed wand is faster, but not better for many reasons
over wet, wicking probs and it doesn't rinse the pre-spray out as well

both can look good , but one will be better/more thoroughly rinsed and less moisture left on the fiber .

if little or no pre-spray is used like Stanly Steamer or many others (Ken's crews???)
sawing back and forth w/keyed wand is pretty much essential to clean a soiled carpet.
there's no other effective way if you run soap thru the TM for the bulk of cleaning...ie little or no re-spray

"short hard" chop strokes followed by a slow flush/rinse stroke, that Dan mentioned would be like a "knock out" punch .
we employ that technique on the spots/areas that haven't completely washed out with the initial pre-spray dwell and flush extract
often the short sharp chop agitates them out before we have to have grab the spotters

..L.T.A.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
danielc said:
[ he would wet the carpet down with the wand even though the carpet was presprayed and make small hard chop strokes back and forth over the badly soiled area and then go back over it with a slower stroke. This produces the best results than just pulling the wand back slow.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. A bad lane or spot that's not coming clean after pretretreatment will get additional mists from my trigger sprayer which I either hang in my back pocket or is always close by, and a bunch of quick chop strokes. Then you get the slow uberflushen.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
gregcole said:
Your helper won't like my answer. YOU are the boss - so whatever you say is the correct answer. NEVER let a helper try to tell you that you are wrong. Fire him and hire one of the millions that are out of work. He will learn to keep his mouth shut and say "YES BOSS, whatever you say" :D

Well this answers a question I always wanted to ask you Greg: Why is it you guys can't steam clean berber carpet and you have you subs "dry clean" them? There's is just no reason for that other than the fact that you personally or your subs could not clean them with an emulsfier loaded portable. If one of your subs said "Look here Masser Greg, if you spray this and scrub this you can then steam it clean," you fire them for insubordination. From your website:"Berber carpets will only be dry-cleaned." WTF. That's just so wrong for so many reasons.

Chris A

Name
Chris
meAt said:
"

sawing back and forth w/keyed wand is faster, but not better for many reasons
over wet, wicking probs and it doesn't rinse the pre-spray out as well

both can look good , but one will be better/more thoroughly rinsed and less moisture left on the fiber .

..L.T.A.

Pretty much what Larry said, for most cleaners, I like using a chop stroke for stubborn greasy/gummy spots, but that's about it.

Chris A

Name
Chris
to ad to this, I cleaned my own home in October before we moved in. Beige Saxony, absolutely trashed with nicotine, beverage spots, and just about everything else from the previous owner. I used a sawing motion of the wand along with a heavy pre-spray and scrub, and ended up with an :oops: embarrassing 24 hour dry time, instead of our average 2-4.

LeeCory

I didn't read all the responses, but I say whichever option was yours since YOU are the boss.

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
Mr. Kelly has prefected the ART OF STROKES DANIEL ALSO TO THE POINT kill this thread.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Art Kelley said:
gregcole said:

Well this answers a question I always wanted to ask you Greg: Why is it you guys can't steam clean berber carpet and you have you subs "dry clean" them? There's is just no reason for that other than the fact that you personally or your subs could not clean them with an emulsfier loaded portable. If one of your subs said "Look here Masser Greg, if you spray this and scrub this you can then steam it clean," you fire them for insubordination. From your website:"Berber carpets will only be dry-cleaned." WTF. That's just so wrong for so many reasons.

In reality, it is the safest way to clean the carpet and maintain quality control when using dozens of contractors. Rather than risk the liability and a unhappy customer- we require all customers to get their berber dry cleaned by us. If a customer is not willing to pay for that service- they are welcome to go elsewhere. As almost 1/2 of our daily jobs are Berber- I would say many are not going elsewhere.

In reagards to the cotnractor refusing to dry clean carpets: To date I have never had a contractor say he didn't want to get paid more and dry clean a customers carpet- if it ever happens- I will let you know.
Second reason: If you do business in Atlanta and you don't dry clean Berber carpets you are considered to be inferior after our 3.1 million ads hit the streets on a weekly basis. Over 160 million printed impressions yearly, and hundreds of radio ads make it clear that we know more than the average Atlanta carpet cleaner. Pro Carpet is the leader for cleaning carpets in Atlanta and we have tens of thousands of customers who understand that anyone who is not dry cleaning Berber is obviously doing it wrong. shiteatinggrin

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom