why didn't i consult with ron l first.

I am on a stone job and the results are decent not great. I got spooked this morning after my supplier told me another company damaged a floor and had to sand it to remove swirl marks. I let the solution sit for 30 min before scrubbing. I should have scrubbed a lot longer and more aggressively. The floor turned into a big mud puddle from the clay. That was expected, but this mornings conversation and the clay spreading had me a little nervous. I would say 90% of the wax came up. If I learned one thing, it is charge a lot more next time for the trouble. I will post a few photos later.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Clay??!!! are you on a Stone job or a Saltillo job? kinda of a big difference between ceramic/ porcelain, natural stone, and saltillo.

Scrubbing longer wouldn't have hurt anything. I think the other company used a spinner at 2500 psi on a floor after they stripped the wax. They put a lot of swirl marks in the floor and had to sand them out.

The floor would have turned out much better if I took the time to either scrub longer or just go back a second time. I get it now. I need to charge more. I did alright though (300 to do 150 sq ft) and was a good learning experience. A solution tank is a must for this type of flooring. I taped off the entryways, but next time I will do plastic around the walls as well. I had a towell handy to get any overspray up right away. Overall it was a good learning experience and gave me the confidence to charge more for a better job.

Before:

IMAG005712.jpg

IMAG005812.jpg

Applying solution. Mixing some sodium p with stripper makes a great tile cleaner. Mix hot and lay down with a mop.

IMAG006012.jpg

Scrubbing the tile
IMAG006212.jpg

After. Three coats of sealer/finish and two coats of floor finish.

IMAG006412.jpg

IMAG00651.jpg

Ron the problem I had was getting all of the wax up.

How long would you scrub the floor, and would you be aggressive and lift the 175 on its side?

I noticed the need for the solution tank to shower feed water through the brush constantly to keep the floor wet and also prevent damaging the floor. Once the wax was disolved the floor really began soaking up the water and was hard to keep wet.

Since the tile was slowly being removed, I didn't want to scrub in one place too long. That resulted in wax being left on the grout which did not look good.

The customer was happy, but I explained to her the situation and she was fine with it.

One more thing I noticed was using a finish mop is kind of counter-productive. I always wet the mop down real good with water and ring out before sitting the mop in the finish. It still holds too much finish to the point while cleaning up I realized I was wasting a lot of chem. Also the solution kept wanting to puddle in the grout joints. How do you apply the sealer and finish on floors with deep grout lines?

Name
Ron lippold
If you go to my facebook page you will see in pictures that i used a 100 grit sanding screen to get that floor wax free. 975 SQ FT took 8 days. The first coat of finish was 5 gallons, second coat about 3 and so on till i had seven coats on her. huge difference. yes i lost my ass on that job but i do what i say.

Ron Lippold said:
If you go to my facebook page you will see in pictures that i used a 100 grit sanding screen to get that floor wax free. 975 SQ FT took 8 days. The first coat of finish was 5 gallons, second coat about 3 and so on till i had seven coats on her. huge difference. yes i lost my ass on that job but i do what i say.

I had a feeling I was hacking this job out. My parents had a guy refinish the hardwood at their house. It took him four days to do the job (about 250 sq ft and one closet). He spent two days sanding the floor with progessively higher grits, filled all the grooves in to make the floor smoother, and repaired damaged areas. Then he sealed the floor, re-sanded, re-applied sealer, and then the urethane but no stain. He also installed new quarter round all for 650. He worked his ass off from 8-5 with an hour lunch break each day. He is definitely no hack and has like 40 years experience.

F

FB7777

yikes!!

I hacked out 3 apartment move outs before lunch and made more than that dude did in 4 days :shock:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom