why don't companys finish putting carpet back in place?

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
a friend of mine called me and wanted me to put back the carpet in the basement.
called insurance company and of course they sent out the green trucks.
on cement they tore about 10 pieces of tack strip out also.
they would not come back and reinstall the carpet.
how in the heck do they get away with this crap?
i know what a slide hammer is now and have one ordered to put tack strip into cement but it was a nightmare.
thank god i was able to borrow one from a installer friend.
another reason why i have shed away from water jobs of late.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
Have you tried the PAM glue gun with the proper glue sticks? That's what we use to put tack strip on cement. Works great and holds very well.

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
We run into concrete slab where as soon as you try to hammer anything into it, it shatters. And using contact cement takes forever and stinks. I found this glue gun at a carpet repair and installation supply house.

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
I want to see a video on how you stretch a hall. With a doorway every three feet.
If you stretch it both directions with a regular stretcher, you get less offset in the doorways and can easily adjust them without cutting any seams.
Hallways used to scare me but George taught me well.
If anything for hallways, I've been looking into the Tri-Force stretcher, a bit pricey though.

Reactions: hogjowl

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
its called a gundlach 870 stand up concrete nail driver
this thing works guys we tried drill- tried glue
the stand up nail driver is 76.50 it works
tools for flooring sells them
the prob with drills 3 holes and bit is shot
we did get a new glue gun seems to work better then what we had
but the stand up nail driver is the way to go its fast and it works

we average 1.5 restretchs a week so i am always looking for better ways and founf one here.

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
I want to see a video on how you stretch a hall. With a doorway every three feet.
either stretch into the room or cut in the middle of the hall and reattach

Name
Clayton Shull
I've performed over a 1000 restretches, mostly for wrinkling issues. I have done many for insurance claims (dried out water damaged carpet) and for factory related claims after some period after installation. I have only had one call back to date. Hallways are the most difficult room to restretch even for the most seasoned veteran re-installer. Many veteran installers stay away from such an animal, as they are not used to correcting carpet that has been improperly stretched (i.e. knee kicked) and cut to fit. The like to deal with new carpet installation only. Every room and situation needs to be evaluated very carefully based on your ability and skill set to get a proper stretch. When wrinkles develop after it has been originally installed properly, one would likely have to open up the seams and start over. Power stretching and stay nailing are a key to success. Over a concrete subfloor, where stay nailing is not used, one would have to be more creative. There is likely going to have to be some patch work too, with all those pesky angles at doorways and closets.

Name
Clayton Shull
As for loose or missing tackstrips, I have been successful just using PL premium glue and nailing in different areas where the concrete hasn't already been exploded out of a concrete subfloor. Double tackstriping is another key to success. Rarely have I had to predrill a hole and work with lead or plastic anchors, except at a transition location where the concrete has been exploded too much leaving no reasonable amount of stable concrete in place.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom