Why Oxidation Works Better than Enzymes at Pet Urine Stain and Odor Elimination

X

xfgeek

By Doyle Bloss CleanMaster Solutions (www.hydramaster.com/cleanmaster) Many professional carpet cleaners are still using enzyme based and bio-enzyme based deodorizers for dealing with pet urine odor problems in carpeting. Most of these products contain multiple strains or types of enzymes or bacterial cultures that are designed to break down and digest the urine odors at the [...]

More...

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
There are two different types of "enzyme" products used for pet odors.

First introduced, were the "spore" liquid products which generate enzymes when in contact with a food source.
These do take a period of time to begin acting on the urine residue.

Second, are products that contain the actual enzymes (usually in powder form).
These start breaking down the urine residue upon application.

Some of these actual enzymes are stable with the powder oxidizers used in carpet cleaning.

This allows both enzymes & oxidizers to be used with one application . . .

with even better results.

Larry

doylebloss

Supportive Member
Name
Doyle Bloss
Alkaline Resistant Protease Enzymes (Alkylase) are "collected" enzymes and can be used in conjunction with alkalinity or oxidation, but are generally not the best enzymes for breaking down urine contamination. The most effective enzymes used for urine are the living organizms which continue to excrete enzymes and grow stronger the longer they stay on the urine contamination. These include lipase and amylase enzymes.

We have found the bonding and encapsulating deodorizers that can be added to the oxidation powder are faster and more effective at eliminating urine odors than the "collected" enzymes that can be added.

doylebloss

Supportive Member
Name
Doyle Bloss
Bryan,
We do not recommend traditional oxidationtreatments for wool unless you are in a "cure it or kill it" mode. Strong oxidizers repeatedly used on wool fibers do have a tendency to break down the fiber (although there are some who use them for fringe cleaning who argue that point.)
As far as type 6 nylon goes, I am not familiar with a higher level of sensitivity of type 6 nylon to oxidation versus type 6,6 nylon. Type 6 has traditionally been easier to stain, and requires a constant higher level of dyeblockers to prevent staining. I asked Charlie Rollins at Shaw if they had seen any particular sentivities of type 6 to oxidation, and he told me they had not. He had no problem using oxidizers on type 6 other than normal pre-testing and precautions.

Regards,
Doyle

Mikey P

Administrator
  • Mikey P says:
    October 31, 2012 at 3:38 amEdit
    Doyle would you mind explaining where a liquid (20 to 40 volume) peroxide product would be more or less efficient than a powder peroxide/ percarbonate when it come to dealing with urine and coffee problems?
    I think there is a lot of confusion on when to use what form of oxidizer..

• vbsso.php
    doylebloss says:
    November 1, 2012 at 3:55 pmEdit
    Mike-
    This is going to sound like a cop-out answer, but it is the truth. The answer is really that both powder or liquid could be more efficient depending upon the circumstances.
    Hydrogen peroxide, particularly at the higher strength percentages you mention, can be more efficient, but they are more susceptble to being weakened by exposure to environmental conditions (sunight and heat), particularly if they are stored in the back of a hot truckmount van for an extended period of time. In addition, we have seen many carpets susceptible to dye damage or bleaching once you are above around 8 – 12%.
    Sodium Percarbonate comes in several forms, so it can’t all be grouped into one answer, but we typically prefer it for effectiveness due to the fact when it is mixed up, you are getting a fresh treatment of peroxide, and the effervescent reaction (the bubbling and vapor you see happening on the carpet) means the chemical reaction is taking place right then. We believe that typically creates a more effective treatment than just spraying liquid hydrogen peroxide. It is a more consistent application of the right strength.
    There is nothing wrong with the liquid urine stain removers that depend upon peroxide for stain removal, if that is your main target. If you are wanting to deal with stains and odor simultaneously, I think the powders are more effective.

Mikey P

Administrator
I think NOW would be a good time to GIVE AWAY some more USR from Hydramaster..

[h=1]USR with MultiPhase[/h] USR with MultiPhase uses the effervescent cleansing, stain removal, and deodorizing power of activated oxygen synergistically combined with the encapsulating and bonding odor elimination power of MultiPhase. When applied as directed the vivacious, bubbling mixture goes right to work eliminating even the most stubborn urine stains, while the odor is eliminated through the power of oxidation and MultiPhase.

usr-jug-large.jpg

• Uses the effervescent cleansing, stain removal, and deodorizing power of activated oxygen synergistically combined with the encapsulating and bonding odor elimination power of Multi-Phase.
  • It chemically modifies and deactivates the stain, eliminates the odor, and does so without leaving strong and potentially offensive fragrances or perfumes behind.
  • It also contains anti-resoiling properties that keep the treated area from attracting residue.
  • Best of all, with USR with Multi-Phase you use less product than with other powder oxidizers making it more economical.
Directions:

1. This product is safe and effective on all synthetic carpets. Not recommended for wool carpet or other natural fibers.
  2. Always test in an inconspicuous area for colorfastness before using.
  3. Add 6 oz. of powder per gallon of water into the hottest water possible (over 160 degrees Fahrenheit) into bucket. Stir product for 30 to 60 seconds. Product should be mixed at the location it will be used. Mix one gallon in 2.5 gallon bucket. The foam will rise to the top in about two minutes.
  4. Consider pulling back contaminated carpet and disposal of carpet cushion. If needed, seal the subfloor with pigmented shellac.
  5. Saturate carpet with mixed USR solution.
  6. Allow 10-30 minutes of dwell time.
  7. Extract solution from carpet. For best results, use a subsurface extraction wand or tool.
  8. Check carpet for odor and repeat steps 5-7 if needed.
  9. Install new carpet cushion if necessary
  10. Always dispose of any unused mixed solution as effectiveness deteriorates rapidly.
  11. Apply Knock Out 1 if any stain remains after above procedure

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Bryan;

We would always use a powder reducing agent on wool fibers to reduce any pre-existing oxidation .

It also tends to brighten colors of the rugs.

The actual enzymes we use, have proven effective for urine decontamination.

Larry

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
So Larry, you recomend using a powder reducing agent on wool rugs with enzymes?

Name
I'm Rick James
Bryan,
We do not recommend traditional oxidationtreatments for wool unless you are in a "cure it or kill it" mode. Strong oxidizers repeatedly used on wool fibers do have a tendency to break down the fiber (although there are some who use them for fringe cleaning who argue that point.)
As far as type 6 nylon goes, I am not familiar with a higher level of sensitivity of type 6 nylon to oxidation versus type 6,6 nylon. Type 6 has traditionally been easier to stain, and requires a constant higher level of dyeblockers to prevent staining. I asked Charlie Rollins at Shaw if they had seen any particular sentivities of type 6 to oxidation, and he told me they had not. He had no problem using oxidizers on type 6 other than normal pre-testing and precautions.

Regards,
Doyle

I was at the Jon Don store, the North Seattle one and they don't have this product. Do you know when it will be available to get?

Is the MultiPhase the same as the liquid Multiphase that Jon Don sales as well.. same smell?

I lost the raffle for the product last time, I entered in this time as well.. so heres hoping.

doylebloss

Supportive Member
Name
Doyle Bloss
Brent-

Jon-Don in Seattle does stock some of our products but they may not have received any of this new product yet. I would let them know you are interested in them carrying it. That is often how they determine what products to carry.

The answer to your question about Multi-Phase is that yes, the product they carry at Jon-Don now is Multi-Phase, which has long been a popular encapsulating and bonding deodorizer from HydraMaster.

With USR with Multi-Phase, we have added some Multi-Phase to the powder formula of the USR to give it the additional deodorizing capabilities of Multi-Phase in addition to the deodorizing power of oxidation. We think it is a very powerful one, two punch. It is up for raffle again. Hopefully, you will win this time!

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
So Larry, you recomend using a powder reducing agent on wool rugs with enzymes?

Zee;

The protease actual enzyme we use, has absolutely no negative effect on wool fibers.

Reducing agents are much preferred on wool fibers, compared to oxidizing agents.

Larry

Reactions: Zee
Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
"Why None Of The Crap That ANYBODY Makes Is Worth a Dink"!!!

Because none of the textiles have been engineered and manufactured to combat urine & feces contamination. Gee, let me spell it out so as every fellow textile & carpet cleaning professional can understand what I'm saying. Don't matter what you mix up and spray the sofa or carpet, yer climbing a greased mountain, a battle you can't win. Purchase all the gadgets and the powders and the liquids you can muster, take all the classes in the free world and you will still be fighting a battle that can't be won.

That being said, good to be back after several months. Looking forward to contributing.....

Reactions: Able 1

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom