Why use both

Bucey

Name
FFA?
Why would you use both rinse and emulsifier? I have been using both for the last 8 months, I switch back and forth depending on soiling level. Also I have been evaluating if I will continue to use the rinse. I am about 90% decided on running the emulsifier only. When cleaning uph I will switch to CTI natural fiber cleaner. I was wondering what others do. What are your opinion on this.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
What usually characterizes the difference between a rinse product, and a cleaning emulsifier is the nature of two distinctive elements of these chemicals.

1) The soil attractive nature of the product residue
2) The differing cleaning power, as provided by a cleaning surfactant, versus a rinse surfactant.

Ideally, we'd use a surfactant that was completely non soil attracting, yet having strong oil to water emulsification characteristics. The problem is that this type of surfactant has yet to be invented. So we choose. But there is no clear division line. With the advent of better surfactants, we can often formulate quite powerful cleaning products with a minimum of soil attractive residue, but it can be a little more costly for these chemicals. The market does not chose to have just one answer. So, a variety of manufacturers create sliding scale products that all have their unique properties of cleaning power, cost per square foot, and level of soil attracting residue.

Moreover, those products strictly designed to be very low in soil attractive residue, by using rinse aid surfactants instead of oil-cutting types, often incorporate the characteristics of a low pH soure, so as to leave the carpet fiber and dye system in a favorable ph state, especially if high pH preconditioners are employed.

While it usually isn't necessary to make a choice between high power prespray, followed by an emulsifier versus a prespray followed by a non-attractive rinse, the option to maximize the desired outcome is certainly available.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Just seems to be a subject with a variety of answers and was curious.

indeed..and very little of it based on empirical data
use a top quality emulsifier.
If you're using a top quality pre-spray, you won't need much emulsifier...'bout half of recommended amount in the stock tank .
It will be enough to condition the water.
Use the flow meter and meter it low or high depending on soil conditions

..L.T.A.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
What usually characterizes the difference between a rinse product, and a cleaning emulsifier is the nature of two distinctive elements of these chemicals.

1) The soil attractive nature of the product residue
2) The differing cleaning power, as provided by a cleaning surfactant, versus a rinse surfactant.

Ideally, we'd use a surfactant that was completely non soil attracting, yet having strong oil to water emulsification characteristics. The problem is that this type of surfactant has yet to be invented. So we choose. But there is no clear division line. With the advent of better surfactants, we can often formulate quite powerful cleaning products with a minimum of soil attractive residue, but it can be a little more costly for these chemicals. The market does not chose to have just one answer. So, a variety of manufacturers create sliding scale products that all have their unique properties of cleaning power, cost per square foot, and level of soil attracting residue.

Moreover, those products strictly designed to be very low in soil attractive residue, by using rinse aid surfactants instead of oil-cutting types, often incorporate the characteristics of a low pH soure, so as to leave the carpet fiber and dye system in a favorable ph state, especially if high pH preconditioners are employed.

While it usually isn't necessary to make a choice between high power prespray, followed by an emulsifier versus a prespray followed by a non-attractive rinse, the option to maximize the desired outcome is certainly available.

Shawn, you sure have the ability to make things more complicated than they need be. Kind of like Dr. Aziz. I am sure that you are right, but things are not as complicated for the regular cleaner (not for the formulator.)

Most good quality (well formulated) products will do a fine job.

I've seen no difference in re-soiling (whatsoever) between carpet that was rinsed with an acid and a carpet that was rinsed with a mild alkaline rinse.

Though there are specialty formulated products (which I use, say for upholstery), I can't categorically say that the cleaning results were any better than when I used the same old and proven products that seem to work well on everything.

If indeed you can formulate a product that will be proven superior (proven, not just claimed) in its cleaning ability and its non residual qualities, many here will be delighted to buy it. And pay the extra $.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
If indeed you can formulate a product that will be proven superior (proven, not just claimed) in its cleaning ability and its non residual qualities, many here will be delighted to buy it. And pay the extra $.
We use an emulsifier for carpet cleaning and an acid rinse on area rugs and upholstery, especially when natural fibers.

AND uhhh no Ofer I don't want to pay anymore for the magic juice....in fact I'd prefer to pay less! :icon_razz:

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Most good quality (well formulated) products will do a fine job.

I don't disagree at all. In fact, it is much more true today, than say 10 years ago.

However, there still exist situations where the carpet owner has concerns that he/she wishes to be addressed. Often a cleaner has to respond to previous poor conditions left by a previous cleaner, and to "over-deliver" a solution using amost a "purist" mentality is right on target. If every cleaner could adopt a singular philosophy on cleaning, it sure would make things simpler. However there are differences, and just as you win when you satisfy your variety of customers, we have to be there in similar fashion to our customers (you).

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Shawn,

Thank you for always giving us a deeper understanding of the mysterious world of chemistry. I appreciate it.

I don't disagree at all. In fact, it is much more true today, than say 10 years ago.

However, there still exist situations where the carpet owner has concerns that he/she wishes to be addressed. Often a cleaner has to respond to previous poor conditions left by a previous cleaner, and to "over-deliver" a solution using amost a "purist" mentality is right on target. If every cleaner could adopt a singular philosophy on cleaning, it sure would make things simpler. However there are differences, and just as you win when you satisfy your variety of customers, we have to be there in similar fashion to our customers (you).

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Bridge point fiber plus is my choice because it's safe for almost everything. The only time I change is I like red intensity for commercial. I have an acid rinse on board for that rare silk sofa.

Gene

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
The only real way to know is when you get that customer again and can see your work months later.

I used Procyon for a few years and the finished clean was the best I ever used. But it did eat my brass fittings and I popped hoses more than I would like..But that can be remedied.

No residue, had cleaning power and the carpet always looked great for a long period after. I had a great deal of repeats and was always impressed at how well it stood up. Aside from new soil it always looked great even a year after.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom