Window Washers.....

R

R W

Any body here wash windows, too? I was doing mine at home, and on the rainy side of the house (acid rain here in Ohio), the glass seems etched.....like a film that just won't clean off. I've tried commercial window cleaners, and vinegar and water, but still can't cut the film. Is it permanent?....or cleanable??

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I can't remember the name of the product but pro's choice sells(they had it at connections) it and you can also get it at ace hardware stores

might want to ask Greenie

Name
Nate W.
steve frasier said:
I can't remember the name of the product but pro's choice sells(they had it at connections) it and you can also get it at ace hardware stores

might want to ask Greenie

Ask Greenie for Kenny Raddon's VHS Tape on window cleaning. It was a big hit at MF! :lol:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
acid rain "etching" the windows???

fo-reel???

vinegar is an acid

maybe a real window cleaner can help, but I'd be more inclined to suspect it was "sand blasted" over the years if it's on the prevailing wind side of the home

How old are the windows?
double pain with possible lost argon seal and what you can't clean off is in the middle?
I've seen them get a milky look when the the seal failed and gas was lost

..L.T.A.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Years ago, at a martial arts school I worked out at, the Chinese teacher had us do the mirrors as part of our way of paying homage, etc.

Anyway, he had us do them with newspaper. Yep. He had us dry them with old newspaper, after cleaning them with Windex. And they sparkled like crazy. Crystal clear.

So, maybe you could try the same thing.

Sounds weird, but it really worked.

Greenie

Let's see if I can get Danny limited to Bawb's room.

It's been awhile, but here is the skinny:

The newspaper thing used to have some merit before they switched to soy based inks, so save your time on that oldie.

What you have RW is essentially oxidation/pollution on the glass. You may also have some very light etching which only gives the pollution a place to anchor to, but I'm willing to bet most of your problem is just the oxidation/pollution.

Be very carefull with any acidic product like the one mentioned, it's known as CC550 in the trade, and it can be a game of russian roulette, 5 you win on, one you FOG like a whitewashed wall.

Do a quick test, get some #0000 steel wool from the hardware store, and rub a little silver dollar sized circle in the corner of a bad area, a drop of dish soap and a sponge is all you need to keep it wet while you cut through the skank with the 0000 grade wool. It won't take but 30 seconds, if you have success then you can skip all the chemical approaches that I would next recommend, and save some money.

Report back.

Becker

Name
Becker
Do you have hard water in your area? Is it possible your sprinkler has hit, or sometimes hits the window in the wind?

Slight hard water on the glass will have appeared to have etched it.

Any supply store that sells window washing supplies ( jon don ) will carry products to cut it.

The steel wool will work for light spotting , if that dosen't do it the winsol will. As Greenie said, test it. Just put a dab of it on a corner let sit for a minut then hose it off , then dry it and check for discoloration, if all is well then treat the whole window, don't let it sit for more than a minut before hosing it off. I like to spray the window with a hose to get it wet befor treating it, this prevents the stuff from drying to fast. I used it for years to restore windows and I only scewed up one job with it (just $10,000 worth of glass, no big deal, lol )

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
I really like the stuff Big Al had at Mfest. "Glass & Metal Magic" here's a link www.groundfloor.org here's the phone 800-540-3478. I cleaned windows for 25 years and that is as good as it gets. Save the grief and don't use CC550 if you can solve that problem in any other way.

Ken Raddon.

R

R W

Thanks, all. I'll try some of the ideas tomorrow. Note that These windows weren't cleaned on a regular basis. I was just too busy ....or too lazy for regular maintanence. For Meat......it's not between the glass, it's on the glass.

AnnieV

The product at the Pro's Choice booth at Connections was Bruce's GSR, which removes severe water spots caused by hard water, soap scum and lime buildup. It's ideal for glass, chrome, tile and porcelain and is biodegradable. It can be applied using a moist towel, or in more severe cases, a hand held sander. You can find Bruce's GSR distributors at www.cticlean.com or call (800)368-1247. A 10oz paste retails for $5.95.

Stevea

Something a little different, if you can get to the glass with it, is to try a Vapor Steamer. I hate using anything that will etch glass (or fog it) and have found the Vapor Steamer will do wonders on removing a lot of 'stain' type materials off of glass, inside and out. If you have never tried it on glass, it can be amazing.

Just a suggestion I have had a lot of success with.

The first thing used, as Greenie pointed out well, is Steel Wool 0000, a staple to have when cleaning glass.

SA

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom