Wine stain on linen upholstery.

SmartChoice

Name
John Alzubi
I got a call from a client who spilled red wine on her new sofa. It's linen and the tags on it recommend dry cleaning. What should I do to remove the stain. Thanks for reading

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I got a call from a client who spilled red wine on her new sofa. It's linen and the tags on it recommend dry cleaning. What should I do to remove the stain. Thanks for reading

You need MIKEY # 2, the magic one whom got 3 bottles out of a wooly closet floor!

YOOODDDAAALLLAAAEEEEWWWHHHHOOOOO>................

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
You have a few things to consider here:

1. Dry cleaning is probably not necessary, but because the tag says it is, you need to get your customer to acknowledge that they have a water based stain on a fabric the manufacturer says is "dry clean only", and what you need to do to remove the wine stain will take water based cleaners, spotters, and stain treatments. They need to give you written permission to do that. If they don't, you shouldn't play the hero here.

People have short memories of who caused the problem (them) and who is trying to help (you) and can be difficult to deal with if they think you did something you shouldn't have done if there are any problems later.

2. Linen tends to be brittle, and will likely look fuzzy after you do what will likely be necessary to remove the stain. Make sure they know that it might not look like new there any longer when you're done.

3. New linen is sometimes "overdyed", and fading that would not usually be noticed a few years from now when you clean could be readily noticed when you treat it in its new state. Make sure your customer knows that there could be some color change. It might be slight, but people with new furniture will notice slight changes.

4. There may be sizing on the fabric, and if you just try to take the wine out without evenly cleaning the entire article of furniture, you might end up with water marks. The above mentioned fiber damaged and color damage potential also show up a lot more if you don't clean the entire piece.

5. Since its new, it might have some fabric protector on it. If so, a light cleaning with a neutral detergent might be all you need to do to remove the wine, but I doubt it. Still, do that first.

6. An acidic tannin spotter would be the next thing to try. Apply it lightly, and over the entire area, not just the stain, blot, and extract.

7. If you have a remaining stain, products with reducing and oxidizing agents that would usually be good to use might be VERY risky to use on linen, and you'll need to once again be very clear with your customer about color loss.

In most cases, you'll get it out with cleaning and a tannin spotter (make sure the tannin spotter has no reducing or oxidizing agents in it).

If the stain remans, email me:

jimscleanchat@gmail.com

Last edited:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
John;

Jim has given some very good info above.

I would use a powder reducing agent (DC FiberBrite) to test for removal

(it has a higher pH [5.5] than tannin spotter)

It is much less likely to cause problems, on a sensitive linen fiber.

If it doesn't work, then you have no choice but to use the more risky oxidizing agent.

Larry

Last edited:

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
You have a few things to consider here:

1. Dry cleaning is probably not necessary, but because the tag says it is, you need to get your customer to acknowledge that they have a water based stain on a fabric the manufacturer says is "dry clean only", and what you need to do to remove the wine stain will take water based cleaners, spotters, and stain treatments. They need to give you written permission to do that. If they don't, you shouldn't play the hero here.

People have short memories of who caused the problem (them) and who is trying to help (you) and can be difficult to deal with if they think you did something you shouldn't have done if there are any problems later.

2. Linen tends to be brittle, and will likely look fuzzy after you do what will likely be necessary to remove the stain. Make sure they know that it might not look like new there any longer when you're done.

3. New linen is sometimes "overdyed", and fading that would not usually be noticed a few years from now when you clean could be readily noticed when you treat it in its new state. Make sure your customer knows that there could be some color change. It might be slight, but people with new furniture will notice slight changes.

4. There may be sizing on the fabric, and if you just try to take the wine out without evenly cleaning the entire article of furniture, you might end up with water marks. The above mentioned fiber damaged and color damage potential also show up a lot more if you don't clean the e

5. Since its new, it might have some fabric protector on it. If so, a light cleaning with a neutral detergent might be all you need to do to remove the wine, but I doubt it. Still, do that first.

6. An acidic tannin spotter would be the next thing to try. Apply it lightly, and over the entire area, not just the stain, blot, and extract.

7. If you have a remaining stain, products with reducing and oxidizing agents that would usually be good to use might be VERY risky to use on linen, and you'll need to once again be very clear with your customer about color loss.

In most cases, you'll get it out with cleaning and a tannin spotter (make sure the tannin spotter has no reducing or oxidizing agents in it).

If the stain remans, email me:

jimscleanchat@gmail.com

And this is why you pay 5 bucks a month here..or should pay...

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Number 3 in Jim's wonderful post is what's happened to me. Sometimes they're dyed in an eggshell or antique white, and spot cleaning or cleaning in general will turn it to a flat white, and make whatever area you're working look unnatural. I've seen an acid based cleaners turn linen weird colors, so of course be sure to test a few pieces from inside the zipper with any products you plan on using.

Dirty Swirler

Name
Joel Hoppe
Another great product that is a 7ph emulsifier is pros choice power gel. I have had "some ' success diluting power gel ( 1 oz to 1 qt hot water) and apply to stain with micro fiber rag,to prevent fuzzing surface. Then I have used dry clean solution or a 7-5ph rinse to remove the power gel and stain. This works on some stains and some water marks from customers attempts at cleaning. A hair drier is needed to speed dry and prevent browning. I have not always removed stains 100% but have improved coffee wine blood chocolate to the point where customer is happy with results.

As everyone else has mentioned you must take time to test any cleaner on fabric and see what it does when dry. Some color loss has occurred on fabrics like linen even with neutral products that I have experimented with over the years. Let customer decide what they can live with and have a waiver signed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom