Wiring for portable upgrades

extreme steam

Name
Pete@TCC
Can the wiring on portables handle replacement of vacs/pumps with higher spec components? can i easily and safely turn a 1 cord machine into a 2 cord one? I hear about upgrades all the time but want to be sure im not just gona start a fire, thanks for any help.

Name
John LaBarbera
extreme steam said:
Can the wiring on portables handle replacement of vacs/pumps with higher spec components? can i easily and safely turn a 1 cord machine into a 2 cord one? I hear about upgrades all the time but want to be sure im not just gona start a fire, thanks for any help.

You have to look at the wire gauge and what components you are swapping out. If you PM me with pictures, I'll help you.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Peter;

Just add a 12 gauge 3-wire cord and strain relief to your machine.

Keep the two cords separate in your wiring.

Use one cord for each 3-stage vacuum.

Larry

Brett

What voltage do you have available in New Zealand? Do you clean residential and commercial? What amperage plugs do you have available for both if you do. Any fuses, circuit boards, switch ratings, etc. may have to be upgraded if you add more powerful motors and pump. Make sure whoever you end up taking advice from knows New Zealand Electrical Codes. Smartest thing you can do is stay 3-4 amps below the lowest amperage plug you will be using, no matter what circuit breaker size is being used. If you have a 20 amp breaker feeding 15 amp plugs, then that cord for your vac motor, vac motors, or vac and pump should pull no more than 11-12 amps ideally. 20 amp plug, 16-17 amps max. Mfgs ignore that all the time. A 15 amp plug doesn't know when your trying to pull 16-20 amps through it , and when that 15 amp plug is on a 20 amp breaker, the breaker won't trip. But you will over heat that plug and the wiring feeding it. Now you may not start a fire at the time your cleaning, but that plug will be damaged, weakened for the future and the customer may end up with a fire and kill people because of the carpet cleaner using a more powerful porty than they should.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom