Wood Floor Coating

Joseph225

I've cleaned a couple floors with the Basic Coatings process, but really don't like to offer it, often. Too many people conflate "cleaning" with "refinishing", when talking about wood.

That being said, a realtor I do a lot of work for has contacted me, wanting me to clean his floors. They've started to grey out (poly's worn down), and wants a stop-gap measure in place until they can get their floors refinished later. This is HIS house, so I don't mind doing it. What coating should I use, and what factors should be taken into account when making the decision on what to use?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
They've started to grey out (poly's worn down), and wants a stop-gap measure

I know enough about wood to be dangerous, Joe .
so since you've gotten no replies ...lemmie ask
what kind of wood and how old?
and is solid T&G or veneer?

got any pics?

if an older home (pre-'80s) most of what I see in Ohio is oak, maple and spruce .
If a newer home (last generation or so) it could be any number of woods from the rain forests of South America, Africa or Asia

regardless, I don't know of any "stop gap" measures that would look good.
You're left with the halfazz crap they try to sell CC'ers and DIY'ers ...that you already know ain't sheeit and accentuates every scratch an gouge that's not sanded out

if he doesn't want the hassle, mess or cost of $5-$7sf to refinish "right" .
suggest his "stop gap" is synthetic rugs and runners that match the home's decor

otherwise, ask if he wants shinny sheeity looking worn out floors or satin sheeity looking worn out floors....

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Joseph225

revitalize

Name
adrian
The stop gap in the middle is a process called screening which roughs up the poly and allows another coat to stick. The kicker is whether the client has a factory pre-finished floor which has aluminum oxide suspended in the finish or if the wood floor was finished on-site from unfinished wood. If it is the prefinished variety, you will end up with white swirls and paying someone else to complete the job. I like Larry's answer to the rugs for your liability. Most wood refinishers can eat the liability if they screw up the screening with aluminum oxide as they will just have to refinish. If you really want to be the hero here, connect the realtor with a trusted wood refinisher to take on the project and discuss screening, which is a fraction of the price of full refinishing. Personally, I have tried for along time to get a job like that and mark the labor up a little, but it still makes you noncompetitive, kind of like trying to sub out carpet cleaning. It is easier to work with a refinisher and get referrals back for carpet, tile, etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom