Wood floor question..

White Collar

Name
Nick Petersen
I have been practicing on some wood floors, cleaning them and recoating them. I watched videos and went to trainings and now just doing some hands on trying to get good, but I am not having much success..

First I used the DD and it was pretty good on one and then the second it came up blotchy and unsmooth when I recoated it.
1)Followed the DD cleaning and then recoated..

Then today I was practicing on 350sq ft of floor with the bridgepoint sysytem and a 175, it came up very blothcy and unsmooth..
1) I used the purple pads and BP cleaner and scrubbed with a 175
2) Then I rinsed with water and let dry.
3) Applied the finish..

What am I doing wrong.
How many purple pads should I be using on 350sq ft? Maybe I'm not scrubbing it enough, even though it felt like I was scrubbing the heck out of.. ARGh...

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Nick

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Without seeing the floor, this is more guess work than an direct answer. Here are some possible issues -

The floor has some incompatible finish on it, likely paste wax (Orange Glo, Murphy's Oil Soap, Scott's Liquid Gold would also be candidates.) The floor may need a bit more scrubbing. This is one of the top two common causes of uneven results.

The floor has areas that where the finish has already worn off. The Bridgepoint finishes are meant as a top coat to an existing finish not as the only finish. Applying to a badly worn floor is the most common reason for uneven results.

Uneven application of the finish. Two or three thin coats will do better than 1 thick coat. If one area of the floor appears to be drying much quicker than another area, put a little more finish on the area that is soaking in the finish.

The floor was not above 55 F.

Your applicator or an open bottle of product introduced some contamination into the floor.

RGH269

Name
Bobby Hales
Sounds as though there is something on the floor that the prep is not removing that is preventing the finish from bonding. Murphy's Oil Soap is good for causing this. The oils in the soap have a negative reaction with water based finishes. Thereis a product that I have been told that will remove the oils, it is from Lamanator Plus that I have been told will remove those oils I can't remember the name of it though.A situation like this may indicate a complete sand and refinish.

John Watson

Like what the others said, but, you say you scrubbed the heck out of it? Did you have a lot of slurry type build up break loose? Sometimes in heavy slurry, it took 2-4 rinses using absorbant pads and bonnets otherwise you can leave that moltled look..

Been there done that!!

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
Not sure how many coats of finish you are putting down but its not uncommon to have to put down a minumum of three coats before the imperfections dissapear and the floor begins to pop.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
this is where pics would be nice...

i know we dont always think about it....but maybe WE ALL should...more so going into something new....

i want to try this...just need a scapegoat....to try it on...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom