wooden furniture stain

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
I have some cologne that spilled on a dresser and dried..any ideas on how to get it of without damaging the piece?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
lust1kiddo said:
I have some cologne that spilled on a dresser and dried..any ideas on how to get it of without damaging the piece?

you mean how can you repair the damage the cologne did to the finish??
(and possibly the wood depending how much and how long the cologne dwelled before it evaporated)

Is the dresser real wood (solid)
fiberboard and veneer,
or fiberboard and whatever that film layer of "wood look" stuff is that's on inexpensive furniture??

Colognes have alcohol in them , i knew that.
i did a google search and discovered it's actually ethanol .
plenty other stuff can be in them too that can dissolve finishes;

what I'm saying is, I don't think it's a "stain"
I think it's most likely damage to the finish ...and you're looking at refinish/repair of the effected area .

depending on construction , whether solid, veneer or faux wood, it may range from "not too bad" of a repair to "forgetaboutit"

details man, need more details ....and maybe I can walk you thru some re-finish/repairs .
id it's a large area that's damaged and contained to a nice flat top (and the top is solid wood) the easiest way to make a perfect correction is simply sand the whole top and refinish.
If veneer, it gets a little more dicey
if phony baloney wood.....go get lace doily from your grandmother....

..L.T.A.

..l.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
lust1kiddo said:
its solid wood.

sand are refinish the whole top..if you're "sure" it's solid .
Pull the top drawer out and look at the bottom of the dresser top with a flash light.
If solid, you'll see where boards were glued together

To match the finish, the back side of the drawer front will most likely be unfinished ...so do this ..
Take a drawer front or two off, (if they're the type that unscrew from the drawer box) drop them off at Sherwin Williams and have them find or mix a stain/finish that matches

or you can play around trying to match it yourself .

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom