Wool Carpet Cleaning

steamwizards

Name
Rob
I've booked in a job which has wool carpet, he has previously had his carpet cleaned by Electra Dry, and he had to get a carpet layer back in the re stretch his carpet because it had over stretched? Is there anything I definitely need to know so this doesn't happed when I go to his house? Or is this a case of HOW it was cleaned

Thanks

Rob

Mikey P

Administrator
If I'm reading your post correctly, after cleaning by a competitor, the carpet was loose enough to warrant a re stretching..

If thats the case I would proceed as normal with extra time spent to extract and dry the carpet as quick as possible (Fans)

If the carpet swelled due to humidity and was stretched out before it had a good chance to dry(48 hours minimum) I would not touch it.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Are we talking about buckling due to moisture in carpet?
If that's the case, it is an installation issue (It was never power stretched properly, in other words- the carpet is larger than the space it is covering.)

If that indeed is what's happening, I am willing to bet that the re stretch was done with just a knee kicker. As otherwise they would have needed to re cut in doorways etc which gets complicated. And if that is the case it may buckle after you clean as well. Normally it will go back after a day. and lowering moisture and drying it fast may help but not guaranteed to prevent it. Particularly with an owner that by now is super aware and concerned about it.

You may also want to know with what products was it cleaned before. I apologize if I was preaching to the choir. And yes- Good luck :winky:

Last edited:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Woven wools will usually shrink after steam cleaning.

Regardless, test the tightness of the installation now.

Clean with a neutral pH (7-9) prespray and FiberBrite reducing agent .

Dry strokes and drying fans.

Larry

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Check to see how the carpet was constructed (tufted, woven Wilton, Woven Axminster, Woven Velvet) This will give you a better chance of understanding how it will respond to moisture.

Check the current installation is it tight? Is the tackless trip around the perimeter firmly in place?

Don't over-wet the carpet. Use dry strokes and air movement to reduce drying time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom