wool rug

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
just booked a job cleaning a 5x* wool rug. I dont know how to do it..job isnt until next week. I have a porti and use formula 90 and browning..

HELP !!!!!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Until you know more about the rug we can't really help. The risks will differ depending on how the rug is made.

Until you know more about rug cleaning it might make sense to take it to a rug cleaning shop, let them clean it and ask them how they did it. They'll give you a break on the price and you mark it up to the customer; you make some money without much risk.

Bucey

Name
FFA?
like Oz says find a local rug cleaner get a price, quote alittle for you self and take the credit. The one and only wool rug I did came out good but I was sweatn for a few hours.... ask how much they paid for it if you dont mind buying it give it a go.

Name
I'm Rick James
First test if its a bleeder, cant express how important that is.....

If its a Pottery Barn type POS, just vac it really well set brown paper border for overspray, pretreat keep under 8 PH, prescrub with grady groomer, extract using ACID rinse, then groom shiny side up, I dont advise using the grady groomer for post grooming.

Never clean fringes in their house.

Use air mover to dry. A wool fiber has 3 parts to it, the outside is has scales that traps ALOT of soil and the inside is sponge like and can hold alot of water.

Cleaning wool in house will not remove all the soil. That rug may have a pound of dry soil in it.

Ask if they are anyone spot cleaned it, high PH spotter can damage the fibers, dont get blamed for someone elses mistake. They can loose their dye and stain much easier than nylon.

If you do end up doing act like you have done it a million times, the customer will know if you are unsure and then examine it even closer after you clean it.

Just be smart, some of those rugs are worth thousands. Most expensive rug I have cleaned was $26,000 dollars so the customer said.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
lust1kiddo said:
Harry Myers said:
Formula 90 wow.

whats wrong with the formula 90? I blast off with it and it gets everything out with minimal effort..unless you know something I dont.

Ph 10 - 11 pretty high for some wool . To be on the safe side chem spec has a product called dcf -105.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
wool is dyed at much lower temperature and the dyes are more prone to running with high pH chemistry. High heat can loosen dyes as well. Ergo high heat plus high alkaline create a very bad scenario. Also if I'm correct, Formula 90 is pretty highly buffered to maintain its pH at a variety of dilutions. The buffering alone can get you into problems. heck you could use a detergent or shampoo with a pH of 8.5 but if its highly buffered to maintain that pH it could create enough a pH shift in the wool to loosen the mordants and dyes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom