Worst Filtration Line....and Pet-Zone?

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
Central Steamer Professional Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning
Got this call on the worst filtration line ever, 6-8" from all walls. Told custy we would try test in hallway to see results, then do rest of home in a couple weeks if it works.

How did it happen? Customer says from burning candles or possibly a few months back when neighbors house up street caught fire and sucked smoke in somehow. No oil or coal furnace. Just electric baseboard heat. I can't figure the cause on this even though we handle alot of smoke jobs/puffbacks.

First vac'd this one hard. Then used encapu-punch with a citrus boost. Dwell time with brush agitation. Steamed it hard and certainly helped, but still there.

Final kicker that worked was Pet-Zone mixed with very hot water, sponged in heavy along sides. Dwell Time. Rinsed with wand. Perfecto.

Then to get center area clean, flex w/citrus, Rinse. Looks great.

Raked, Ran two Velos for an hour and half while I did another job 4 miles away. Came back, touched up a few edges that had slight wickback with a microfiber cloth and POG.

The Pet-Zone was the star here!
20150406_112922_001.jpg
20150406_123433_001.jpg
20150406_125329_001.jpg

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
Yes, here's what it says on Jim Pemberton's Site. I can tell you this was some tough filtration line to move until I tried the PETZONE.

PETZONE WITH HYDROCIDE
$42.80
PET ZONE WITH HYDROCIDE
PET ODOR & STAIN REMOVER, ODOR NEUTRALIZER

New PetZONE is an awesome new product that permanently removes pet odors AND stains - all in a single step! Stains are removed by the natural power of oxygen while the odor bonding and encapsulating power of the Hydrocide permanently eliminates odors.
PetZONE was designed for the worst pet urine contamination. Affected areas must be completely saturated, making the Water Claw an ideal application tool.
Odors are immediately eliminated without leaving strong and potentially offensive fragrances behind. Plus, the persistent yellowing stains that often accompany pet urine contamination are also removed.
PetZONE has a powerful effervescing action that lets you and your customers know it's working. Won't cause resoiling.
RTU pH: 10
Dilution Ratio: 6 oz. per gallon of hottest water possible
  • Not recommended for wool carpet. Do not use on silk.
Pet Zone.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: J Scott W

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
very impressive.

Never seen one so bad..

Did you tell her it would come back?

Me either. I always undersell these situations because I don't know myself if filtration will come back. Its almost a maintenance thing for them to keep it under control.

She didn't have any furnace issues ie puffback (all electric hot water baseboard heat) and she did say she use to burn a lot of candles which she stopped doing. I just find it hard to believe that candles could do that although their is some residue on walls and some light cobwebs only on one end of the house only. I'm only noticing this on the one side of the house though which is closest to the neighbors house up the street that caught fire a couple months ago. Just find it hard to believe that smoke from a fire 4-5 houses away could infiltrate her house like that. I told her to check with her neighbors who have houses closer to the fire.

But, if she stopped using candles and no more of her neighbors houses burn down, then maybe I could write this off as a once in a lifetime thing and tell her that it won't come back. This really has me perplexed.

The only good part is I made $5 bucks a square foot cleaning this hall. New Record for Central Steamer!

Name
BradFenstermaker
Bryan explain sponged in please. Squeeze and saturated or just rubbed it in with sponge?

I am very impressed with your work here.

Lot of soil filtration here from cheap home builder

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
Bryan explain sponged in please. Squeeze and saturated or just rubbed it in with sponge?

I am very impressed with your work here.

Lot of soil filtration here from cheap home builder

Sponge sloppy wet, and rubbed over dark area. Dwell time, Slurry rinse extract. Tada.

Don't believe it's home builder dirt because a slight residue on walls, some cobwebs and only on one side of the home. Has to be smoke burn related. Home is very well kept.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That is so odd looking, I'd guess the candles. I'd almost want to disengage the installation to see if it came from the top or the bottom.

But I suppose hot air will go to cold, and the walls would be cooler and that's why the residue would be more noticeable. ???

Either way nice work, it looks great! :cool:

Reactions: Bryan S. Bennett

hogjowl

Idiot™
I wish I had a better understanding of the REAL causes of this disorder. I run into it all the time and folks never claim to burn candles or have fireplaces they use and there is often clean looking heating/cooling vents over the areas. So, I am at a loss to explain it, and certainly can't offer help in preventing it.

Is this like crop circles and carpet pooling?

Reactions: Bryan S. Bennett

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
It's about you low life southeners walking around bare footed , going to wal mart, feeding the pigs and generally being trailer trash.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I run into it all the time and folks never claim to burn candles or have fireplaces they use and there is often clean looking heating/cooling vents over the areas. So, I am at a loss to explain it, and certainly can't offer help in preventing it.

In this case above he had some crazy stuff going on, so who knows.

Generally, the gray, charcoal, black looking lines next to a wall OR under a door are filtration lines. The carpet is filtering the pollution in the home.

I explain it like this to custys...
lets say they are doing construction down the street, any time the windows are open and the door is closed all that dust/pollution comes into the room and get sucked under the door. Air on one side of the door wants to get on the other side. The carpet is filtering the pollution. Any time they cook, it gets in the air.

Along the walls is more difficult to explain. Same deal though, air is trying to get under the wall and pulling pollution, dust, etc with it. If enough time goes by, it bonds with the carpet. You will also notice it's GENERALLY interior walls that get it the worst.

Throw in a furnace, winter, closed windows for months, white carpet, vacuums with out attachments, people not using the attachments, I see it all the time. Sucks, some times it just won't get better. best thing I've found to work is that magic bar of fels and a gum getter.

If they want to fix it, next time they buy carpet, calk the bottom of the walls before it installed. Not much else you can do. Get it cleaned more! sssssss.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Let me be frank with you ... we all already know that. What I'm talking about is what causes the air to get dirty. Normal air isn't that dirty. So, if you aren't burning candles, using a fireplace, have a malfunctioning gas heater, etc. in the house, what's causing it? I've seen it in houses with electric heat and no women in the house burning candles. I've seen it in brand new houses that have sat empty for months with the central unit turned down low.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
So, I am at a loss to explain it, and certainly can't offer help in preventing it.

Let me be frank with you ... we all already know that.

Puzzling fella, this guy...

What I'm talking about is what causes the air to get dirty. Normal air isn't that dirty.
As I said above, dust, cooking, farting, pets, bla-bla-bla... Air is actually quite dirty, we just don't see it. It's not like this happens over night.

I've seen it in brand new houses that have sat empty for months with the central unit turned down low.

No home is air tight.

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
My little friend Mr. Dylos says my air is fair.

Better get cleaning....and get Mr Dri-Eaz Hepa 500 a part time job at my house!

20150407_194442.jpg
20150407_194406.jpg

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
Well the customer called today and is thrilled with the work - a new cheerleader.

We will do the remainder of the house........time and material job with protector throughout.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

glenboy

Name
GLEN
Somewhere on here it says the filteation lines over time are a compound of several types of airborn soil, cooking grease, dander, hair and so on...which is why the standard pre treat doesn't even budge these lines...and sometimes makes them look worse

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom