Worth repeating..

Mikey P

Administrator
If deflation continues to take hold, as it appears to be doing, then prices will come down. This will, as Larry pointed out, be a function of the market. The upshot is that during deflation, prices can be lowered while not adversely affecting one's standard of living or profitability, because 1) one's own expenses will also start to decline as vendors also find themselves needing to lower price to remain competitive, and 2) dollars are worth more during deflation than they were during the preceding inflation. This doesn't mean that those who stick to the bulletin board mantra of "you must gross $100-$150/hour "At The Wand" will see revenues decline as other cleaners offer same quality work for less, but it certainly increases their risk of doing so.

Debt-free Lone Wolf owner-ops can gross $50-$75/hour ATW and make book, all the while not giving up on quality by skipping steps. Under the old rules, I was priced to gross right around $100/hour while manning the wand. I now find I often need to work fours hours in the customers home to make what I used to make in three (i.e. my formerly $400 job is now often a $300-$330 job), I'm fine. I'm grateful for the $300, and it sure beats sitting at home making $0 all because I stuck to my guns holding out for 35 pennies/square when the customers new sweet spot is 25-30 pennies.

Would I do three rooms and a hall for $140-$150? Sure. And I see no reason why it matters whether I finish in 1-1.5 hours or if it takes me 2-2.5 hours. My last job today was a Great Room, Dining Room, Breakfast Nook, and Hall. My price was $178 and it took me 2.5 hours pre-vac to final groom - a measly $71.20/hour. Try as I might, I cannot see how I lost out by taking 150 minutes to finish rather than the 106.8 minutes which would have allowed me to claim the magical $100/hour for that job. My bank took the check without even asking me how long it took me to earn it. And I am grateful to have had the opportunity to earn it.

There was a time when I would almost agonize abut the $100/hour - to the point where I would feel that I had been "had" when the time I was spending on a particular job caused my rate to drop below that magic number of the bulletin board gods (and goddesses). As a result, as the economy slowed, I let my business get far slower than I needed to as I "stuck to my guns." Not anymore. I now run my life according to actual reality, rather than internet bulletin boards versions of "reality."

My worst enemy? For a long time it was stubbornly insisting that the reality I learned from the message boards accurately reflected reality in my marketplace, even as the economy weakened. I have slain that enemy, finally. My new worst enemy is clowns. Definitely clowns. And donuts. Clowns and donuts.

I swear I was going to post earlier this guy has a level head and some common sense. It could be that he sounds educated.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Mikey P said:
If deflation continues to take hold, as it appears to be doing, then prices will come down. This will, as Larry pointed out, be a function of the market. The upshot is that during deflation, prices can be lowered while not adversely affecting one's standard of living or profitability, because 1) one's own expenses will also start to decline as vendors also find themselves needing to lower price to remain competitive, and 2) dollars are worth more during deflation than they were during the preceding inflation. This doesn't mean that those who stick to the bulletin board mantra of "you must gross $100-$150/hour "At The Wand" will see revenues decline as other cleaners offer same quality work for less, but it certainly increases their risk of doing so.

Debt-free Lone Wolf owner-ops can gross $50-$75/hour ATW and make book, all the while not giving up on quality by skipping steps. Under the old rules, I was priced to gross right around $100/hour while manning the wand. I now find I often need to work fours hours in the customers home to make what I used to make in three (i.e. my formerly $400 job is now often a $300-$330 job), I'm fine. I'm grateful for the $300, and it sure beats sitting at home making $0 all because I stuck to my guns holding out for 35 pennies/square when the customers new sweet spot is 25-30 pennies.

Would I do three rooms and a hall for $140-$150? Sure. And I see no reason why it matters whether I finish in 1-1.5 hours or if it takes me 2-2.5 hours. My last job today was a Great Room, Dining Room, Breakfast Nook, and Hall. My price was $178 and it took me 2.5 hours pre-vac to final groom - a measly $71.20/hour. Try as I might, I cannot see how I lost out by taking 150 minutes to finish rather than the 106.8 minutes which would have allowed me to claim the magical $100/hour for that job. My bank took the check without even asking me how long it took me to earn it. And I am grateful to have had the opportunity to earn it.

There was a time when I would almost agonize abut the $100/hour - to the point where I would feel that I had been "had" when the time I was spending on a particular job caused my rate to drop below that magic number of the bulletin board gods (and goddesses). As a result, as the economy slowed, I let my business get far slower than I needed to as I "stuck to my guns." Not anymore. I now run my life according to actual reality, rather than internet bulletin boards versions of "reality."

My worst enemy? For a long time it was stubbornly insisting that the reality I learned from the message boards accurately reflected reality in my marketplace, even as the economy weakened. I have slain that enemy, finally. My new worst enemy is clowns. Definitely clowns. And donuts. Clowns and donuts.

sometimes its easier to work for less...
when OTHER PEOPLE is doin'....the workin'!

G

If that is Mikey's own writing. Then that is his best post all year. Honest, and finally real, in the bulletin board $800 job average, booked solid three months BS. Good job Mikey!

Mikey P said:
No that is David Day.

I'm a $350 job average booked for a week and a half kind of guy.

Just what I am striving for. So I need to raise my job average a hundred dollars. I can do that. Instead of being insanely high on carpet, I will add a sofa, tile, or rugs to the bill and a few decent commercial jobs to get me there.

The most important rule of business that free market capitalism dictates is to find a way to be better and more competitive than the competition. Note I didn't say cheaper just BETTER and MORE COMPETITIVE. Everything else will fall into place.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I believe that when we refer to priceshoppers, we are talking about those rat nasty $45.00 3 rooms deals.
Does that fit into the equation?

Those are the people that ask for the world and then complain about getting it.

I don't mind lowering my prices to get the job. Some of my Techs have talked to me about lowering my prices to get the jobs...we've given a few back to the sea.

This was the main reason I started Budget Carpet Cleaning. It was a spin off of what Crowley was doing.
One of my Techs here in Dallas wanted to do $15.00 per room but I couldn't live with that...he would have to push the hard sell.

At $25.00 per room with a 3 room minimum I think it satisfies the low end customer and the Tech who just wants to work. but it doesn't really screw either one. Fair price is just that.

I don't turn down a "priceshopper" for wanting a lower price..but I do know a scam or a PITA when I hear one. Yes, these do come to me from Full Circle when they need a decision.
I can work with lowering a price...just not lowering our standards.
I will give a good Tech a higher % or sometimes I will just give them the whole job when someone just needs that one room job done. They still make 50 bucks and the job didn't go to another company who may or may not be worthy of it.

I always ask that customer (once I've explained what we did) to refer us out to a friend or family member for our kind gesture...good always comes back to you.....always eventually.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Mikey P said:

Post of the week.

Name
Ron lippold
The most important thing a guy can do for his business.............

When times are goood or bad........

You have to take the time to do in home est...

that will increase your job adverage by 200 i guarentee it....

Just do it.......... :shock: :shock: :shock:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
The question is:
How, with all this money being printed from thin air, without hardly any gold reserves, can we not eventually have a huge inflation?

As always, and with all administrations, Democratic or Republican alike, the economic data is being manipulated by the government.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom