Would you pay this surcharge for clear gas?

Mikey P

Administrator
IMG_20200129_110219.jpg

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
for vehicles??
might try a tank full or two to see if any noticeable improvement in mileage and/or performance.
If nothing noticeable, I wouldn't pay more for it as I've had very few fuel system related problems over many years, many vehicles and many 100s or thousands of miles

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Mikey P

steve_64

I use to go out of my way to avoid ethanol because I've had EGR valves plug up in the past. Doesn't seem to be an issue now except with small engines.

scotty747

Most vehicles use gas too fast for it to break down. Small engines I always use ethanol free. Any engine will run better on dead dinosaurs than dead corn.

steve_64

Ethanol is a solvent. It destroys rubber fuel lines and cleans old deposits from carburators plugging jets. It's bad for old motors.
Small engines still use rubber fuel lines unlike vehicles.

steve_64

I've been using sea foam for about 20 years.

In the article he says ethenol gums up the carb but it actually cleans the gum off the tank and fuel lines plugging jets. The sea foam removes that gum and the carbon from valves and emission controls.
Ethanol also eats rubber seals.

Last edited:

Ron K

2Cycle oil can help alleviate some issues ethanol has for longer term storage. In a generator I might use it but not knowing I would just make sure you run
your gas tanks dry and empty. Keep whatever gas you want in jerry cans and cycle through it every 3-6 months. After that time pour it into your Van.
Seafoam Magic Oil and Gumout gas dryer can help but why bother.
Honda carbs are problematic.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
It destroys rubber fuel lines and cleans old deposits from carburators plugging jets.
Bio-diesel does the same, as well as generating injector clogging mold growth. And, it has the same kind of premium price over conventional diesel.

Post-94 vehicles should be OK running ethanol tainted fuel, so the forty cent per gallon premium has no economic payback for everyday use.

Reactions: steve_64

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
My boat and lawn equipment, yes. As for today's vehicles...I think they're engineered to handle ethanol fuels now. I don't have any facts on that statement. If they're not engineered that way, then it's just a scam to make people trade in their vehicles every 7-10years.

If I ever get a classic car to cruise around in, it'll have the clear gas in it

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
On a trip from Michigan to Montana driving a 2017 Dodge Ram I started with Ethanol free gas averaged 21 MPG. Had to fill up at a gas station that only had 10 or 15% ethanol my milage dropped to 17 MPG. Ethanol free is cheaper in the long run

Reactions: BIG WOOD

steve_64

On a trip from Michigan to Montana driving a 2017 Dodge Ram I started with Ethanol free gas averaged 21 MPG. Had to fill up at a gas station that only had 10 or 15% ethanol my milage dropped to 17 MPG. Ethanol free is cheaper in the long run
E85 you probably got in Iowa is worse than the regular ethanol most of us see.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I've been using sea foam for about 20 years.

In the article he says ethenol gums up the carb but it actually cleans the gum off the tank and fuel lines plugging jets. The sea foam removes that gum and the carbon from valves and emission controls.
Ethanol also eats rubber seals.
I love Sea Foam

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom