Yes, I just did it

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
After my brother in law passing a month ago, we picked up their 8-9 year old microfiber couch. I wanted to clean it up good, since I knew the couch had a pretty high amount of butt traffic along with foods drinks..I cleaned this piece 3 times already over the years.

I didn't want to mess with it too much this morning and decided to just pull all the fabric off the pillows and cushions... Tossed them in the washing machine and washed them with tide. Hot normal cycle.

Yikes...

End results are amazing. Cleanest it's ever been since being new.

Maybe we should start offering on location washing instead of messing with upholstery tools :lol: :lol:

Those with a box truck - just bolt down a washing machine and hook up to your waste tank to pump into.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Only downside is stuffing all the pillows afterwards.

I put the loose stuffing in plastic bags while the fabrics were in the wash.

Name
Nate W.
Some fabrics you can do just that.... Just make sure you put the stuffing back while the cushions are still wet.... DO NOT put the fabric in the dryer, for the noobs...... It's pretty classic seeing homeowner's dry it too and ask why the cushions don't fit....:lol::lol::lol:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Man I feel like such a HACK!!
I knew a very high end cleaner in KC. He only worked for millionaires and cleaned very nice decorator pieces through interior decorators. I asked him what he used and he shockingly told me and answer I didn't expect.

He said the standard care stuff he cleaned with a Kleenrite tool.The special care fabrics he would slip the covers off and take to the dry cleaners. Then when they were done he would schedule the bases to do with OMS. :eekk:

Here I idolized the guy and then found out he was cheating! :errf:

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Now try that on a flocked fabric or an all natural that was not pre washed or one that has single stiched seams..

I know Mikey... We can only do this for some of the fabrics.

Newbie -I don't recommend trying this with your customer's upholstery, you hear??
Don't come back in a week complaining that you read it here and now you own an $8000 couch.

Reactions: Mikey P

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
That's the best way to get the stuffing back in. Use the bag and then just tear it off once its in the covers.

make it easier with this trick... While stuffing is in plastic bag or wrap-- wrap opening of bag around vacuum hose and vacuum out the air. this will compress the cushion making it easier to insert into fabric cover while still in plastic. Once stuffing is in cover release the vacuum and allow the stuffing to expand-- now remove plastic. Do this while fabric is wet.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
This is safer to do using a Front loading washer as opposed to top loading washer because the front loading washer doesn't have an agitator which can cause problems. Front loaders also use less water. use cold water and delicate cycle.
We offer in plant cleaning of sofa cushions that have sever urine or vomit problems. We soak the cushions without the cover in "our secret sauce" for a few hours.. then extract using a Stand On size water claw. we then use the plastic bag trick I mentioned in above post to extract more water. Then put in Rug drying room. once cushion is dry- install wet covers. dry again

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Good pointers.

Now forgive me.. I'm experiencing a case of brainfartoleosis: how do you cut/release the plastic bag once it's in the case? Do you reach in and cut around?

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
Good pointers.

Now forgive me.. I'm experiencing a case of brainfartoleosis: how do you cut/release the plastic bag once it's in the case? Do you reach in and cut around?

Yep-- cut --pull-tear what ever works. we get $50 a cushion n up.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
The only problem would be matching up the clean cushions with the body of the couch. I've had custys wash their arm covers, and then expect the rest of the cushions and body will come out that bright.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
The only problem would be matching up the clean cushions with the body of the couch. I've had custys wash their arm covers, and then expect the rest of the cushions and body will come out that bright.
Pre qualify... pre qualify the customer--- but in most cases--- getting the "Cooties" out of the cushions and saving the sofa from trash is the main concern.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
Jim Pemberton,

What happens to silk, velvet, cottons, etc. when washed with tide or other type of laundry detergent?

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I think we all know what happens with those types of fabrics.

We are talking about 100% polyester microfiber.

After washing them, I did run them in the dryer for about 35 minutes, medium heat.
Did not affect the fabrics whatsoever.
They fit perfectly and no shrinkage happened.

Again, those of you with limited experience - don't do it. You will be screwed.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Good pointers.
I saw an upholsterer do this once - note how he tears the plastic out at the end:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We've done that and also induced deodorant fog when we release the vacuum.

It sucks in the deodorant, works well but you have to be careful of the fragrance you put in. If its too strong then it will be a long time before it dissipates.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
also induced deodorant fog when we release the vacuum.
Oh my - havent thought about this in years - When I was a kid my mom bought a rainbow vacuum. The salesman demonstrated exactly that. He sucked all the air out of one of our cushions and added a little fragrance when he let the air back in.

But he poked around on the cushion first to make sure it was stuffed with foam rubber. Told us he had demonstrated once on a bean-bag type cushion that was filled with styrofoam peanuts. After he sucked out all the air - it stayed flat......

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
if you used high heat it can damage the fabric and make it rough on the hand. so be careful.

I think we all know what happens with those types of fabrics.

We are talking about 100% polyester microfiber.

After washing them, I did run them in the dryer for about 35 minutes, medium heat.
Did not affect the fabrics whatsoever.
They fit perfectly and no shrinkage happened.

Again, those of you with limited experience - don't do it. You will be screwed.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Ok..good, I'm not the only one that was "creeped" out by this guy... Wow the whole time I thought he was gonna force himself on that woman.

Let this be a lesson for all of us: be nice to customers but DON'T be this close talking/leaning idiot that's trying way too hard to be nice.

hogjowl

Idiot™
The "instant blow job" comment ruined it.

He may be as professional as Howard Partridge, but that comment made me think he belonged on this board instead.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
can you say shrinkage, distortion, color fading.

I haven't Had that happen yet using the method I described. It did happen to me before I was a carpet cleaner and to a customer when the guidelines I gave weren't followed. The main thing is cold water, very little detergent and DO NOT put them in the dryer.. Or put them in Dryer with NO HEAT.. Putting the covers on while wet helps prevent shrinkage and distortion.

It is quicker just to use your upholstery tool then to go through all this trouble-- So Why do I do It?
Here's why: To avoid cross contamination. I don't want to clean the cover while on a contaminated cushion-- doing so will only suck more junk through the cover. and taking the cover off will help dry the cushion. and I don't want to clean a contaminated cover on a clean cushion.

I haven't done this yet on silk.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom