You don't see many of these if any being used for carpet cleaning, I wonder why

Mikey P

Administrator
IMG_20190406_182605.jpg

Reactions: Fat Mike

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We had (5) of them with tm's loaded for both carpet cleaning and WDR. Only 1 Butler in a extended body van.

Gas is more and you are bigger in traffic and will get hit by tree limbs in older parts of the city.

However being able to stand up is so nice. Having the space to haul everything you need gives you a shop on wheels.

It's nice but we can't use the in above ground parking and have to send the small Butler.

Reactions: Mikey P

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
almost bought a short box truck like that at one point but after taping out the dimensions for all the equipment there was hardly more room than a regular express, just a little more head room

Any tips for drying a house(elderly couple) wit a broke pipe in the foundation? All the cracks in da slab look like a rainbird sprinkler wit low pressure and da city won't cut the water. So we bought the homeowners white rubber boots and froggtoggs. They think it's time for Noa to build the ark.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Any tips for drying a house(elderly couple) wi a broke pipe in the foundation? All the cracks in da slab look like a rainbird sprinkler wit low pressure and da city won't cut the water. So we bought the homeowners white rubber boots and froggtoggs. They think it's time for Noa to build the ark.
I wish I had good news but its broken in the slab, it jackhammer time. Some of the bigger plumbing outfits here can trace the leak within several feet.

We had a bad one where the break in the slab was only found when the city came to see why there was extreme water use. Elderly woman wasn't alert enough to realize. The city condemned the property due to the mold through out. Even her yard was all mud, sad no relatives in state that would have found it sooner.

When fuel went to $4 gal we dumped them. 6mpg hurt our bottom line
Gots me thinkn maybe a smart car wit a yellow thangamigiger in it. That'll be cool as hell. Get me a service cleaning the wipe off mats at wallyworlds

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It allows us to be more versatile. They can process a decent sized wdr loss coming right from a carpet job. Or like wise, go clean carpet if another crew got pulled away for an emergency.

My first commercial job back in da late 80s doin my walk thru and the gentleman shown me round tells me to sharpn my pencil ifn I wanted this job. That's wen I axed him ifn we could turn dem sprinklers on up dar would hep me sped up dis job and dat wud save him some dough. He teld me funny they only come on during a fire. I tells him they should come on any second cause he built a fire under my ass wit dat pencil comment. I didn't clean anything in dat place.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

steve_64

I wish I had good news but its broken in the slab, it jackhammer time. Some of the bigger plumbing outfits here can trace the leak within several feet.

We had a bad one where the break in the slab was only found when the city came to see why there was extreme water use. Elderly woman wasn't alert enough to realize. The city condemned the property due to the mold through out. Even her yard was all mud, sad no relatives in state that would have found it sooner.
Or neighbors who look after each other.

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
the one mike posted is single rear wheel. much narrower . i have had 3 12 foot versions. there are awesome. they ave 12mpg

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The HVAC company next door to us has a big fleet of these GM boxes. They're pretty commonly used for on-location services where a tech needs some mobile work space. Having vertical walls makes it easy to hang stuff and hold shipping stuff.

I was looking for a spare rug pick-up vehicle, one that would be easier for a non-trucker to use and with a lower step-in height. I did a comparison of the long, high vans from Promaster, Ford and Mercedes, and since GM doesn't make a long high roof I added one of these to represent GM.

The Merc was eliminated due to purchase price, cost of options, cost of routine service, cost of repair and too many stories about dealers that don't care how long the truck sits waiting for service. The Transit lost points for being skinny and for faulty Body Control Modules leaving people stranded. The Promaster won points for having the lowest floor step-in and also lowest street to roof height. It lost points for too many complaints about flimsy door handles and also having a faulty BCM that burns $100 headlight bulbs like popcorn. The GM box won points for being the least expensive and having the best reliability ratings, but lost points for having a foot less length. (Important to have a bit more than 12 feet when hauling 12 foot rolls of carpet.) I was concerned about the fuel economy difference, and then found out the biggest versions of the Eurovans get pretty much the same mileage.

We've have few complaints about our GM vans, and the guys next door said they have no big issues with theirs, so GM it is. Ultimately I decided we needed more floor space and ordered a 14 foot long box with dual rear wheels.

PS: Now that I know the single wheel boxes don't cost much more than a standard van, I might order a couple with side doors and install a CDS. Just enough more room to haul tile and stone stuff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom