You must try 4 to the DOOR!

Jay D

Name
Jay D
I run 4 to the back door of my van into my homemade pvc Y and then 100ft into the house. It does increase cfm and lift without having to run 2 hoses to the door. I just did'nt like the extra hose I had to run, but I did pickup performance with this setup. Simple and EZeee. :wink:

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
I've done that same thing Jay, but it was no where near the performance increase as just 50ft of 2" hose, and 50ft of 2-2" hoses from the truck.

hogjowl

Idiot™
By just cutting a 2.5 inch port onto my waste tank lid, and running one section of 2.5 inch hose off it, I have increased the performance of my 36 blower by quite a bit.

I cleaned a direct glue down commercial carpet today and it was dry within one hour. And, that was while running 450 psi.

Pretty darn good for a pissy little 36 blower.

Does anybody still post-Dob these days? Or, is that so 90's now?

Name
Lee Stockwell
Ours is probably similar to Marty's. Putting the 2.5" in the lid is easier than thru the sidewall because you can just pull the lid off and use the drill press with a hole saw.

We used 2.5" electrical conduit (heavy grey pvc) fittings from Lowes and a sweep elbow.

Only 50' of 2.5 hose right now.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
I can't wait to get 2.5! Imma go 4 25ft lengths. I have a 250 ft hose run next month, and i am going to run 2-200ft lengths to the store, and a 50 inside. Should be interesting to see the vacuum increase!

Mike Draper

I run 4.5 to the door. I run all 2.5 and then a 25 foot 2" whip. I really do hate working with the 2.5" hose though, it will rip corners apart fast, suck s to wind up too. But it's all about the customers and my dry times were cut by about 60 percent. So I guess I'll keep it.

John Watson

That would be 5 to the door 2.5 + 2.5 = 5 not 4.5 Unless they changed how to add since I went to school... Or did you make a typo and mean you run 2.5 to the door??

150-200 feet of 2.5 will take a vortex style reel

Mike Draper

No, it's 4.5 to the door. I've tested this setup and it gives me 28 more CFM than when I don't use the Y. Also I've gotten rid of the live reel which sucked, " or actually didn't suck" you know what I mean.

ButlerVan019.jpg
[/img]

John Watson

I am sorry, Guess we have been talking about the wrong door.

I wonder what ever gave me the impression that you and every one else were taking 2 vac hoses from the truck waste tank to the clients door???

You are also correct 2.5 + 2 = 4.5

Why just a short run to the truck door, For you it's 28 more cfm, what do you get if you go to the clients door, say 2- 100 foot runs of 2.5 Yed to a 2 inch for another 50 feet??? is it worth it???

I believe I would call it 4.5 out the truck, to the door is a little miss leading till you see the photo. Thanks for posting. Now I am again totally confused.

Greenie, Larry and any other of you suck experts what you say????

Mike Draper

I think the only thing you get dragging an extra hose to the front door ( so now you have two hoses going to the front door) is a huge headache and alot of wasted time. You may pull in an extra 75 cfm on my machine at the most but is that really worth it? Now we are just playing instead of working, If you really want improved dry times switch to 2.5" hose and then buy some Dri-eaz studebaker fans and start charging more for an "dry carpet when we leave service"

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
4 to the door, is what is referred to as 2 hoses running from the van to the front door of the clients home. This is a trial setup, for when people are interested in seeing if 2.5" hose out of the truck is worth the purchase.

Greenie

This isn't directed at Mike as he's probably spot on with his measurements, but every time I hear about 28 cfm more etc... I think of Bristor and his $99 cfm gauge. It's more than just numbers, every time you introduce a "Y" especially one like Joe's offset Y, you introduce turbulence, at some point a single 2.5" hose has hit the point of diminishing returns and frankly is less expensive, and less hassle to use.

And to answer Steve Snail, on a #4 blower with a 2.5" intake, I think the law of diminishing return will kick in, so No I don't think you will notice a vacuum increase by bolting one of my 2.5" elbows on the tank, your stock twin 2" plastic fittings are fine.
That is one thing to say about that Kunkled fire breathing El Diablo, no mainstream $25,000 machine is gonna out heat it, or out suck it by much with that 2.5" hose and Greenhorn wand.

Mike Draper

I've actually only talked with Joe once when I bought the Hose. He offered to send me a cfm gauge if I would do some testing. I never took the offer, I planned on testing it with other equipment before I even bought the hose. I have a good friend that works in the Utah state University space dynamics laboratory who has some crazy nice equipment for testing. Actually "rich" my buddy was the one who I talked with about getting better dry times, Hence, then I found 2.5" inch hose and the rest is history. Anyhow, We tested a vortex, and and El-diablo and some other prochem tm. Anyhow, I'm smokin them all with my new 2.5" hose. Even the vortex ( with the smaller blower, not sure but I think it was a 6009 ) was pathetic. I think it was 345 CFM at the end of 100 feet of 2" hose. We then put 100 feet of 2.5 on the vortex and it jumped to 470 or close to it, can't remember. Anyhow I'm at 411 at the end of 100" of 2.5. Although, I have done some other custom alterations to my butler as well.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I'm testing one of Duane's new filter boxes. I used it today for the first time. It gives absolutely now additional resistance over a straight run of hose without the box. I haven't been able to see if it continues to flow as the box fills up yet, because I hooked it up backwards and it wasn't filtering the debris.

I turned it around and will see on the next job.

Greenie

Mikeyxj8 said:
Anyhow, I'm smokin them all with my new 2.5" hose. Even the vortex ( with the smaller blower, not sure but I think it was a 6009 ) was pathetic. I think it was 345 CFM at the end of 100 feet of 2" hose. We then put 100 feet of 2.5 on the vortex and it jumped to 470 or close to it, can't remember. Anyhow I'm at 411 at the end of 100" of 2.5. Although, I have done some other custom alterations to my butler as well.

I got some numbers on 100 ft of hose from AeroTech awhile back, if memory serves they did this testing and took the measurements when they swapped over to 2.5" plumbing on the new trucks from the old trucks.

6M blower @ 17"hg and 600 cfm

100' of 2" = 230 cfm
100' of 2" via a 2"Y at the truck = 275 cfm
100' of 2.5" = 405 cfm (57% increase!)
100' X2 of 2.5" (dual wand) = 300 cfm on each.

I not quite sure how it was possible to have 0 drop of cfm on 100' of hose.

But it does illustrate Mike's claims very well, restrictive 2" hose on a big blower is just nuts, and I wouldn't be surprised if the 2.5" hose showed the same basic numbers 300' out...it's just that much more efficient.

On that note, I just sent 600' of 2.5" to a customer who is gonna do just that, dual wand, 300' of 2.5 and 300' of 2" per man on a new Isuzu Vortex, I'll let you know what he thinks.

Mike Draper

Another thing I noticed..............the Vortex probably dropped in noise by half with the 2.5" hose. Seems as if the engine or the blower doesn't have to work as hard to pull the air through. That should be enough reason alone to switch over.

TimP

Rex....that does make sense. If the vac relief doesn't pop at all that means it doesn't loose cfm to the valve??? And if the blower is capable of 600 cfm at the 17 hg's or less then it stands to reason that if you don't pop the valve then all the air must be moved through the hose.

Rex Tyus

Exactly Tim. You would be surprised how many "manufacturers" of truck mounts still struggle with that concept. Imagine how many cleaners don't get it. :shock:

Greenie

All things fair, getting your "relief" through the wand makes sense IF you can.

I was just surprise to see "0" drop in cfm, you would think you would lose a couple in the process.

Some day I may do some testing of my own with some expensive equipment, but I'm gonna benchmark it against some known numbers for a solid experiment.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom