Embarrassed the maintenance man....

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
We cleaned for a large, high end moving and storage company. Over 14,000 sq. ft in the beginning of June.

While we were away last week I got this email:

Hi Meg,

How's your summer going? I wanted to see if John or Brian could stop by to take a look at some tough spots that have already popped up. Our maintenance man has tried the spray you dropped off (which by the way has been working great for my puppy issues) and he hasn't had much success.

Incredible what 140 people are capable of in 2 months!

Thank you,

P

I sent our techs over to check it out. They were able to get the spots out using our spotter. The whole office staff was there, watching it happen. They were all impressed with what the guys did. Manager was a bit peeved at his maintenance guy.

I sent him a follow up email (even though I knew from our guys it went very well).

This is what he had to say....

Hi Meg,

The guys did a great job and embarrassed our maintenance man. Using the Unbelievable cleaner they were able to get all the stains out. I guess he just hasn't been trying at all. Thanks for sending them over, they made quite the impression on several people around the office.

I'm glad it worked out so well for us....but feel bad that the maintenance man took the heat. We would rather have an alliance and work with the maintenance staff instead of come off as a threat to them and their job. Yikes!!

I didn't jump on the bash wagon and just responded that I'm glad our guys could go out and teach his guy the proper technique so he could handle it in the future.....And too call us anytime if they need help.

Has anything similar ever happened to you? How did you handle it?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
You handled it perfectly Meg.

The fact is that if spots could come out easily with a spotting agent, they wouldn't need you. A little extra training (even if what he really needed was to show some effort and caring) just reminds them that you needed, not just for your service, but also for your expertise and consultation services.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Never burn bridges as you don't know if the maintenance guy will move to another job and you will encounter him there.

Too many positives about staying positive to ever go negative on anyone in a public sense regarding your business or anyone else's.

Reactions: Russ T.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I remember you bringing up the issue of a competitor being able to offer encapsulation once they had access to what equipment and products you use. The fact that you sell your expertise and not the products you use is a strong reason for people to stay with you.

You can help them, but never make it seem "that easy".

Reactions: Lee Stockwell
F

FB7777

Great way to handle it. Meg

I'm sure the Manager is well aware of the shortcomings of this maintenance person without calling them out

Some janitors prefer to use the excuses they have invented more often than the chemistry they have in their closet

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
When Will commercial customers learn that Janitors great at emptying trash bins and cleaning toilets-- but are terrible at the science of cleaning carpet!

I was thinking about suggesting a "Challenge" to commercial prospects where they place a hidden camera to watch the Jan san staff-- and I bet 60 to 90 days will go by and the Carpet will never be fully vacuumed. And they may never actually clean the carpet if it's in the contract.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
So with those comments lies the "FLAW" in encapsulation (SCAMPOO) in that the staff rarely vacuums. They just hit the areas that stick out. Besides years ago someone did vacuum after and found nothing in the vac bag. Where are those magic "crystals" ?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Where are those magic "crystals" ?

where it and the soil has always been .....
sheared off the top and driven to the bottom

there's no "magic" to it

sCampoo's resurgence is due to losing the brush in favor of a VCT type pad ..shears the soil SOOOOO much better than a brush

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
LOL

Butt Larry, its looks better, the appearance lasts longer, it dries faster than HWE, it can be used in secure settings or up multiple floors. Lastly it fits the budget of facilities managers.

Don't be a Debbie downer! :winky:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
LOL

Butt Larry, its looks better, the appearance lasts longer, it dries faster than HWE, it can be used in secure settings or up multiple floors. Lastly it fits the budget of facilities managers.

Don't be a Debbie downer! :winky:

Relax ...i encRap at times
told you before, you and the other big ballers have allowed me to lower my standards and feel good about it...:lol::lol:

..L.T.A.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Sometimes it's what the market will bear. They don't want to pay so give them "appearance management" AKA inferior work.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
You know Richard that is a correct assessment. And if people will only think about it........... how can 2 0z per gallon spread out over 1-2000 sq ft encapsulate anything? Only the STUPID buy into the marketing BS.

In fact bump up the oz per gallon to 4-6-8-10-12 or what ever. There is NO way that it will work.
All it does is provide a non soil attracting DRY residue.
And is any RESIDUE good..............you tell me.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Um....

I don't recall saying that we encaped this. That's because we didn't!!!

That wasn't the issue or in question. This was HWE. We plan to offer maintenance with encap quarterly or semi annual. HWE yearly.

So encap wasn't a factor in this situation.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
yeah meg-- cant you see we are trying to derail or high-jack another post-- it is MB after all-- haha:icon_twisted::stir:

Vacuum, vacuum, I seldom vacuum-- or is it Zipper, Zipper- you should have a Zipper?

hogjowl

Idiot™
image.jpg

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
Just ordered a Zipper. Can't wait for it to come. Large commercial on the books we plan to break it in on.

Warning-- cover up that clear site tube on the zipper with black tape-- otherwise he'll be there a long time... its shocking what a regular wand leaves behind.

Last edited:
Reactions: hogjowl

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom