How Do You Stay Busy In the Winter

How Do You Stay Busy In the Winter?

• Total voters

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
For most of the country, the time between Christmas and springtime is slower than the rest of the year.

What do you do to keep the yourself busy and/or keep your employees from going elsewhere for more steady work?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I cant say I really like where I live ....but where I live is the best place for what I do...we work year round.....

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Everything and anything, but mostly restoration work. Fire, water, mold.

One major difference is that work is not scheduled so if you or your employes are the type that gets ruffled feathers when the plan changes on you, avoid restoration work.

Friday at 2:30pm we get a call about two school rooms smoked from a small fire. We had a few technicians working a couple of hours that night and a dozen technicians worked both Saturday & Sunday.

200 man hours put in over the weekend, nice start to the week. :cool:

IMG_1844_zpsv03nppsr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
What do you do to keep the yourself busy and/or keep your employees from going elsewhere for more steady work?
This is why we first ventured into fire and water damage restoration, Jim. It was only later that we discovered the potentially huge profits!

We also developed regular contract commercial routes that we serviced year round. We were not a really big company (1.3 million) but that "guaranteed 30K" in contract work coming in every month was a big help!

Steve

PS When I was an owner-operator I didn't worry about "keeping busy in the winter". Just charged absurdly high prices the rest of the year, saved much of it and hung out in Southern California and Mexico every winter. (This still sounds like a good option sometimes!) :)

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Every year is pretty much the same for me. I just save my money from late summer til Christmas and then wait out the winter til spring. Last spring was awful with all the snow we got. A few years back I started strong a few months early because of an early spring..

Mike Draper

Doesnt seem to matter what I do here in the winter as the cold dictates our work load. Each winter is different. This january we grossed 4x what we did last jan. And that revenue is 12-13x less than what we would do in August alone. I've learned to enjoy the time with the family and get my "honey do" projects done.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Commercial contract work (not janitorial Ofer BTW, only have 2 cleaning contracts).
Focus on tile/stone cleaning for residential

Businesses dont always follow weather, some buy because of cashflow, VIP visit or something with the operation internally.

Luck does play a role though, january we had a couple of mid size jobs but looking at february so far most are smaller for some reason.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Oh wait...
The power just went out at our shop, no lights, heat and its 15 degrees :dejection:

I spoke too soon :hopeless:

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
We do not skip a beat in the cold months. Our business is 90% commercial and we get some bigger jobs over the holidays for those offices that want to be cleaned while all employees are off.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I haven't slowed down really.

Market Readies for Real Estate, Apartment Contracts, even had some Residential Occupied Cleanings Lately.
Most of my commercial is through another company that just rents my service.

Heck I cleaned around a Christmas Tree again back in LATE December .....I laugh at Bawb evertime this happens : )

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
10:00 AM... get up
10:00 AM....Let's Make a Deal
11:00 AM.... Price is Right
12:00 to 12:30 play on computer
12:30 to 1:30.. The Young and the Restless
1:30....................take a nap
5:00 ..................eat
walk out to shop
take a nap

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Reactions: GCCLee

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
i usually see 3:00AM or 4!

searchin an' googlin' Ebay and stuff to buy or sell!
sometimes i get stuck on an old movie

sometimes i jus stay on this board and vote idiot of the day........hopin' it ain't me!

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Mikey P

Administrator
much like Jim Martin we dont see a huge drop in completed jobs.

Just not booked out as far. We do have more time to up-sell so our average goes up a bit.

In other words, the "Event Cleaners" keep us going until the "Spring Cleaners" show up..

Mikey P

Administrator
Jim I added another choice for us non snow companies.

I will say that February would be very slow if we did not offer our 20% off sale. We can count on at the very least 10k in work from that card.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Thank you Mike, and thank you to those who have responded/participated. Much of what you share will help the newer cleaners who find this time of year difficult to endure.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
:winky:

Commercial contract work (not janitorial Ofer BTW, only have 2 cleaning contracts).

Shane, the "Janitorial" remark did not have anything to do with actual janitorial work. Janitors are hard working people that have my respect.

It was referring to the people that always refer to carpet cleaners as "Glorified Janitors", (a school of thought that I think you share.)
Which is fine if it comes out of humility and understanding that the client can find another cleaner in a heart beat. However, it discounts the relationship we build, the quality of work and weather we are smart enough and work hard to provide added benefits, not to be a "janitor" in the eyes of the client.

I'm glad you diversify.

Reactions: Shane Deubell

hogjowl

Idiot™
I checked the commercial block. My regular commercial DOES help me even things out in the winter, but not always. This year, January is REALLY slow, only one of my commercial accounts was due for a cleaning this month. So, things have been particularly tight. In years past I haven't worried much about times like this. I was alone and didn't really have to work. My busy times banked enough funds to get me through. This year is different. I have my son to worry about.
I ran a FB ad and got one job, but luckily it was a $950 tile job. Other than that, I've just been waiting on the phone to ring. I may have to become more proactive over the course of 2015.
A new website is on the list, and a change it my optimization company. Besides referrals, google searches are my number one attraction for new business. I want to make it a bit easier to see how pleasant and kind I am.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Besides referrals, google searches are my number one attraction for new business.
Being that your market appears to be internet savvy, what about a small Google adwords budget? Nothing crazy, set a budget run it through the winter months and see if it will get a decent click though rate that generates bookings for you.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Being that your market appears to be internet savvy, what about a small Google adwords budget? Nothing crazy, set a budget run it through the winter months and see if it will get a decent click though rate that generates bookings for you.
Because that requires me getting out of my comfort zone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom