Hybrid Electric TM 16" of Lift

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
For those interested in performance . . .
here is a photo I took of the Hybrid TM while it was in final testing
Quiet . . . and 16" of Lift . . .
upload_2015-7-28_17-4-52.png

Next one is going in 100 MPG Van.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Reactions: BIG WOOD

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
The 100 KW Generator should come in handy for restorers also.
Misleading, Larry. The 100 kW is available only for charging the batteries. The currently available power for external use is limited to 14.4 kw, and the Via site says 30A circuits. At that rate you won't even be able to run your 15hp motor.

Their site says a 50kw module is in the works, you might be stuck until then......

ViaPower.jpg

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Dan ;
The 100 KW generator is already there.
50 KW convertors are available . . .
Wait and see . . .

Last edited:

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Keep me posted Larry-- I've been dreaming of such a TM If it works....

But I think those vans can only be leased. The van can only drive 40 miles per day max--If the TM also uses the Battery power then that reduces the Miles/day. hopefully you found a way to overcome these drawbacks... I was wondering If adding a couple more Alternators would help with the charging?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
John ;

The Hybrid van has an unlimited range since runs on both the lithium ion battery pack and a V-6 gas engine.
The lithium pack will operate the TM for ~3 hours without running the engine.
30 GM dealers are signed up to bring them in for fleet customers.
Many incentives are available in different states and other areas of the country.
Chicago had some incentives over $20K, in addition to federal incentives.

Last edited:

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
WOW! nice incentives... I spend about $40/day on each Van.. so that's a lot of financial room to work with.
I noticed that the van is also a plug-in hybrid, so I can power up to the customers power grid if needed..

Last edited:

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
If you can get that all to come together, that would be awesome. I'm concerned about the cost though for all of that setup. There won't be any savings if the initial cost is high. Keep us posted.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
I'm Sure IT will be SOLD at a hefty premium vs standard equipment. hopefully there are Tax Credits..
But it goes with one of my mantras-- "Be the Solution- Not the Problem"

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Couldn't all the expence and weight of lithium batteries be replaced with a $25 power cord from clients home to van?

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
not sure how TAX dollars subsidizing products that aren't competitive in the market place is a "solution" to anything ...'cept making us more broke and in debt than we already are

just a thought.....

..L.T.A.

You Got me on My "Flank" Larry-- didn't think of it from THAT angle---- But in a way, the Credit would be subsidizing R&D dollars to find alternative forms of energy cost.
I wonder what the true cost of fossil fuels would be IF the cost of our Military were adding in.?

Reactions: Jim Nazarian

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Without getting into the age old argument as to whether electric vacs (centrifugal) can match the performance of a roots-type blower, any TM-class machine like Larry's will require around 15 kW to run - and the absolute theoretical power you can get from one $25 cord is less than 3 kW (2400 watts).

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
Without getting into the age old argument as to whether electric vacs (centrifugal) can match the performance of a roots-type blower, any TM-class machine like Larry's will require around 15 kW to run - and the absolute theoretical power you can get from one $25 cord is less than 3 kW (2400 watts).

I'm So Glad to have you on MB...
So a PD blower would need at least 5 cords? or how any AMPs?

Reactions: Mikey P

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Something like that, except there's no easy way to combine cords to feed a single big motor. You would need a dedicated two pole 60A breaker to feed Larry's VFD motor drive.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
This single cord runs the Hybrid TM at full output (~18KW).
Slightly more power than a 50amp 230AC Electric Range in a house. (edited)
Hybrid9.jpg

Last edited:

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
This single cord runs the Hybrid TM at full output (~18KW).
Less power than a 50amp 230AC Electric Range in a house.

Larry are you creating energy out of thin air? As you well know - amps times volts equals watts (not taking into account power factor).

My calculator says 230 X 50 = 11500 watts (11.5 kW)....

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
I am still scratching my head in regards to using a 220-240 v. outlet to run a electric ETM. In an effort to take a step above the other guy (so to speak) are we not forgetting that there is a potential Operator Liability situation here? Moving washers, driers, ovens..................................

And, if we are referring to operating it off a generator (99% of the time), I would suggest to any potential purchaser to go buy a gasoline TM and be done with it.

After all these years in the manufacturing business, I highly suggest that "we" keep improving what we know (common sense) in terms of design, engineering, and efficiency rather than trying to re-invent what will never be practical. Seems as though most have forgotten how design really matters rather than the amount of components.

BTW, my comments have nothing to do and is not directed at any particular individual. Rather to the industry as a whole.

Anyways;
The very best to all;
Ed Valentine
cross-American corp.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I am still scratching my head in regards to using a 220-240 v. outlet to run a electric ETM. In an effort to take a step above the other guy (so to speak) are we not forgetting that there is a potential Operator Liability situation here? Moving washers, driers, ovens..................................

And, if we are referring to operating it off a generator (99% of the time), I would suggest to any potential purchaser to go buy a gasoline TM and be done with it.

After all these years in the manufacturing business, I highly suggest that "we" keep improving what we know (common sense) in terms of design, engineering, and efficiency rather than trying to re-invent what will never be practical. Seems as though most have forgotten how design really matters rather than the amount of components.

BTW, my comments have nothing to do and is not directed at any particular individual. Rather to the industry as a whole.

Anyways;
The very best to all;
Ed Valentine
cross-American corp.
Ed-

Larry is talking about using Lithium Ion vehicle batteries, nothing to do with moving any washers, dryers, stoves, or using any generators.

Larry is also talking a 3-phase motor, not a single phase motor. No home, and very few businesses have 3-phase power available.

3-Phase power is usually found in industrial parks, etc.

Back
Top Bottom