Hybrid Electric TM 16" of Lift

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Reminds me of all those porty users in denial and continue to buy every gizmo to hook up to their porty to mimick a small blowered TM.

Just buy a TM and be done with it.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Larry is talking about using Lithium Ion vehicle batteries, nothing to do with moving any washers, dryers, stoves, or using any generators.

You might of missed this part, Brother Bob

"BTW, my comments have nothing to do and is not directed at any particular individual. Rather to the industry as a whole"

If i understand, Ed is speaking "in general"

like that mightee bad idea quadvac stack that needs a quadrillion amps that you can only get from a 50amp STOVE plug
cause a 30a drier plug wasn't enough to turn a weeniemount (Marty's term for glorified portys in a van) into a lectromount that can pull a load 100ft uphill out of a finished basement/rec rm

I believe that's the kind of retarded chit "in general" he's talking about ;)

..L.T.A.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
That's a beautiful thing you said right there..............Larry

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
You might of missed this part, Brother Bob

"BTW, my comments have nothing to do and is not directed at any particular individual. Rather to the industry as a whole"

If i understand, Ed is speaking "in general"

like that mightee bad idea quadvac stack that needs a quadrillion amps that you can only get from a 50amp STOVE plug
cause a 30a drier plug wasn't enough to turn a weeniemount (Marty's term for glorified portys in a van) into a lectromount that can pull a load 100ft uphill out of a finished basement/rec rm

I believe that's the kind of retarded chit "in general" he's talking about ;)

..L.T.A.
I didn't miss it, but I guess I see why it was mentioned, and I agree you should not have to move appliances in order to clean someone's carpet; and, 50 amps is way toooo much power to need to hook up to.

Reactions: Ed Valentine

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I've been having a "wet Dream about this type of machine for many years now....
But the "cold Shower" of this dream is the realization that the end product will be a SS370 or similar at an Aerotech Price :icon_rolleyes:

I hope Larry is successful and proves me wrong-- Cuz I really want this to work out.

Reactions: Bob Savage

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
My big thing (I've mentioned this before, I think ) is the conversion losses.

You use the engine to turn a generator, losing energy as you convert rotation to electricity. Then (in Larry's case) run the ac power through a VFD drive. The first thing it does is convert the ac to DC -more losses. Then it creates variable frequency ac through some sort of switching arrangement. More losses. Then we use an electric motor to transform the vf ac back to rotational motion, another loss (motor only 91% efficient ).

All that loss, compared to just driving the blower with the engine means it will, by definition, consume more fuel.

You would be able to use the charged batteries for maybe the first job, then you're using fuel.....

Reactions: rick imby

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
I already have 85 kWh battery in my car, I wonder what kind of reaction I would get from my customers if I showed up with a Tesla hauling a TM on a trailer.

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
John ;

The Hybrid van has an unlimited range since runs on both the lithium ion battery pack and a V-6 gas engine.
The lithium pack will operate the TM for ~3 hours without running the engine.
30 GM dealers are signed up to bring them in for fleet customers.
Many incentives are available in different states and other areas of the country.
Chicago had some incentives over $20K, in addition to federal incentives.
Ballpark pricing available yet for the van & TM?
Any idea what the rebate\incentives are in California or where I can go looking for the info?
Put me down for very interested.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
'Via Motors may have only recently begun delivering its first extended-range electric vehiclesicon1.png to fleets, but it expects the business to grow dramatically over the next few years.

12,000 trucks in 2015.

The company expects to sell 50,000 plug-in trucks and vansicon1.png a year by 2018."

Source : Green Car Reports

P.S. California has some substantial credits for hybrid vehicles

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
I
P.S. California has some substantial credits for hybrid vehicles

I am aware of the $7500 Fed tax credit & California's $2500 rebate, I was wondering if the TM equipment qualified for "Clean Energy" incentive program as well.

A plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) qualify's for HOV lane stickers, living in Los Angeles this is a huge added bonus.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
LOL...@ Larry....That video was seriously incredible.... In the fullest meaning of the word "incredible"..

What's the point in doing this?

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Count me In as interested as well.
My sprinter Loan is $685 and fuel is about $500 a month also--- so there might not be that much of a Premium to have a machine of the furture.
Beside, a hybrid will have awesome marketing clout in this tree hugging town

Reactions: dgardner

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
One company is doing Hybrid conversions for ~$10K.
Ford Transit or GM.
http://www.xlhybrids.com/.../files/XLHybrids_TransitVans.pdf

Their "hybrid" conversions are quite different than one would expect. The vehicle never runs on electric only, and you never plug it in to charge. The gas engine/trans/drivetrain remains in place. The battery pack is comparitively small.

The basic concept is called regenerative braking. When you apply the brakes, the braking action charges the small battery. When you accelerate from a stop, the electric motor gives you a "push" to help the vehicle to get moving, reusing the energy normally lost to braking. It definitely helps mileage, but is not an electric vehicle per se.

With the fuel savings factored in, one wonders what the break-even ROI period is. $10K will buy a lot of gas....

I also wonder if this setup qualifies for rebates/incentives?

Reactions: Ed Valentine

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Without getting into the age old argument as to whether electric vacs (centrifugal) can match the performance of a roots-type blower, any TM-class machine like Larry's will require around 15 kW to run - and the absolute theoretical power you can get from one $25 cord is less than 3 kW (2400 watts).

I can show you how to run the cords.

rick imby

Name
Rick
electricity%20taped%20extention%20cords.JPG

Willy found a new way to patch in his five corded Porty...

Do not try this at home---leave it to Professionals like Super Willy...

Reactions: SamIam

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom