Lets talk garages..

Mikey P

Administrator
Hypothetically, what are a guy's options vehicle wise, to keeping a van nice and warm all winter in a garage with an 8ft clearance?

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I started out with just insulating the garage I had and then put in two 8 foot electric baseboard heaters.

Ended up finally putting up sheet rock....On my new garage went with OSB board and then painted white so could hang more things on the wall.

There are also wall and ceiling hanging small furnaces that vent out the side of the wall and in different styles.

Depending on the depth of the garage and room you have for the van, a small furnace with just a hood on it can do the trick..

I guess I would look at what the home is using for fuel for it's heating system and judge from there if better to just tap into that source.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I have a 2 story, 2 car garage with forced air heat. The doors 8' wide x 7' high and my 2011 Ford van clears the door fine but I had to bump out the back of the garage to give me enough length to get the van in. Needless to say , me and the wife accomplished that feat in an afternoon.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Tour in the new addition on the shop and heating system

Had fuel oil furnace in the house that was only about 5 years old....swapped it out for Propane and also have in floor slab heat on and electric pump in the home now too....multiple heat sources....so took the old home furnace and put it in the front of the shop with a hood on it.

Still have electric baseboard heaters as back up in there too

hogjowl

Idiot™

Is tour a word you picked up in Florida?

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Chris A

Name
Chris
48x32 i insulated the walls and ceilings and run a 30k btu ventless gas wall furnace I bought from northern tool for $250. Keeps the whole barn at 50 through the winter but we don't get in the negatives too much. Luckily one side has h higher header so I can put in a 9' door but standard size garage guys are gonna be fooked cuz I think even the low roof new vans are over 7'

hogjowl

Idiot™
48x32 i insulated the walls and ceilings and run a 30k btu ventless gas wall furnace I bought from northern tool for $250. Keeps the whole barn at 50 through the winter but we don't get in the negatives too much. Luckily one side has h higher header so I can put in a 9' door but standard size garage guys are gonna be fooked cuz I think even the low roof new vans are over 7'
Well, I doubt Mikey wants to have to duck every time he walks in, so I imagine his door openings will be over 7'. If pain intensity is distributed in relation to body mass, hitting his head must hurt like hell.

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
Central Steamer Professional Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning
An inside look at Hogjowl's garage and IICRC Training Facility for new employees! It's one lean mean operation!

Truck Mount F....Pigs over there, Mikey's Board Premium Pigs over here!

pig-pen_main.jpeg

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We have an overhead in one of the larger garages (1800sq/ft). We keep it set at 50-degrees, its not as warm as the offices but warm enough to work in and not freeze your butt off.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
in my last shop i used a 40' infrared tube across the back ceiling....cost pennys a day......highly recomended!
in my smaller shop i have a 90 K infrared hanging....i havta put little umbrellas on our drinks while sitting in there..............

http://www.zoro.com/i/G1606561/?utm...hopping_Feed&gclid=CMesuqizoMMCFYM8aQodT2AAzg
Bob, It looks like this heater needs a lot of clearances both front and side. Would it work in a 2.5 car garage with 8 foot ceiling?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Not that you would want to try it but I would think you might get an extra 4-6 degrees in the garage. Maybe another couple degrees inside the van.

If it rarely gets below freezing you won't need too much. If it gets down in single digits you better prepare for it.

How much cleaning do you plan to do during the winters? I figured thats the semi retired part. You work when you want to. :winky:

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
So in an insulated garage with no heat, at what outside temps do things start freezing up in a van?
My garage will stay above freezing for days and weeks even when the outside temp falls into the teens at night. It all depends on how much it warms during the day. Once the garage temp falls below 32 I start putting a small electric heater in the van at night.

Name
Brad Gouveia
I got a attached 3 car garage that I insulated. It never get below 40 out there. Most night it is in the 50s. No heater just a some heat coming from the walls of the house.

It g0t to -15 or so int he last few weeks.

Insulated garage doors as well. Need every inch to make it in the garage, length and height wise.

Extend vans out of the question for me.

Name
Brad Gouveia
When we first moved in I was putting a heater in my vans with a thermostat plug but it never gets too bad in my garage. I got a thermometer right by my door and I swear it is always 40-50 degrees.

My Master bed does cover a quarter of the garage roof so that may help with heat. As my master bed floor is always cold.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

hogjowl

Idiot™
I seriously doubt that you would need a heat source in any garage you build, even uninsulated. Even if it got down to the single digits, I'd just put a little space heater in it by the pump if it was down in the single digits. How often does that happen there?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom