Looking at TM Wand Design

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
I would like to illustrate what to look for in a modern TM Wand,
regardless of which TM wand you use or buy . . .
The first attribute is the head design . . . It must flow a couple of hundred CFM's with modern TM's . . .
This requires a cast or milled head in most cases for smooth airflow . . .
Next, is the jet pattern when it hits the carpet . . .
I have posted two photos to illustrate the difference . . .
First is the 14" PC Titanium Wand with 6 jets . . .
and then the new DC ProTi with 4 modified jets . . .
Ideally, you want even spacing where the jets hit the carpet . .
Noticed the spacing as illustrated by the black arrows . . .
PCTi.jpg

14Titan7.jpg

Top photo shows light coverage in the center, with much heavier spray under the #2 and #4 jets . . . .
------
Mikey did better with the new special order 4 Jet Ti wand . . . The center jets are ideal, but the outer two jets are too close to the wand edge . . .

Once the jets are close to ideal, we check them with a special tool to determine actual water distribution . . .
JetCheck.jpg

Jet angles also have an effect on impact, so 95 degree jets should outperform 110 degree jets for the same size opening . . .

Bottom wand also has no center spacer, since it is machined . . .

Of course, Jim & you raffle winners already know which assist handle is best . . .

Larry

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
I really like the water separator gadget but find it hilarious that your new wand uses screw and glue technology after all the ragging you've done on Prochem's attempt.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Yes Dan it did, but the Spraying Systems metal device was several hundred dollars,

and I can see water levels thru mine easily.

Here is a chart from Spraying Systems on impact from various angle jets ;
Impact.jpg

It only goes up to 80 degrees, but the impact decreases with each increase in spray angle.

Larry

Reactions: dgardner

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I appreciate the info and research.

Being a cleaning simpleton all I know is that I have two Ti wands. No extensions, if I remember correctly 80 on four and 95 on jets close to pipe. It cleans great.
No streaking, no fiber distortion from being too close to carpet.
Works every day.
So far, clients happy.

Go figure.

Reactions: kingjoelking

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Devestator Tom says its a press fit.

Ill let you two argue over it.

Your crappy photo isn't good enough for me to argue over.
Yes the piece that adapts the Ti tube to the wand is press fit over the Ti tube, this is much different than what PC did with there Ti wand. The piece is longer and becomes more like the tube itself, I tried to remove it on one of my wands as I am developing a swivel for it, even after heating with a propane torch I ended up denting my Ti tube trying to remove it....I gave up as I didn't want to damage the Ti tube anymore than I already did.
I believe it will last it is not under the same load as what PC did it handles the stress differently.
The window came about because of the suggestions to open up the inside of the wand for better airflow, you may laugh but it actually is very helpful, techs will never leave a carpet too wet uless they just don't care.
To all of you here a MB, you may question my actions to backing this wand.... I would never ever back something that I feel is garbage ever, I have been working on this wand for several months now, I have sent several out to guys to help me test this wand we have combined over 150,00 sf of cleaned carpet.
So far everybody agrees it is a AWESOME wand, its cleaning ability is top notch.
Its machined head is out of a solid piece of material, not flimsy sheet metal, it is so rigid it need no bridge support, its 100% USA made glide that is made for this wand only fits better than any glide/wand combo I have tried.
I am backing this wand and I offer a happy guarantee to take any worries out of the purchase.
Putting the DEV name on this wand WAS NOT TAKEN LIGHTLY but I do believe in it.
This is all I will say about it unless asked

Reactions: kingjoelking

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The window came about because of the suggestions to open up the inside of the wand for better airflow, you may laugh but it actually is very helpful, techs will never leave a carpet too wet uless they just don't care.
Laugh? No, cry yes.

Pretty pathetic that a tech is out in the field cleaning clients homes and needs training wheels to keep him from creating an over wetting issue. :dejection:

People need to train their tech's better and if a tech is incapable grasping what is needed to leave the carpet dry, they probably need consider finding another tech.

It ain't rocket science folks! :(

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Laugh? No, cry yes.

Pretty pathetic that a tech is out in the field cleaning clients homes and needs training wheels to keep him from creating an over wetting issue. :dejection:

People need to train their tech's better and if a tech is incapable grasping what is needed to leave the carpet dry, they probably need consider finding another tech.

It ain't rocket science folks! :(
Storm,
You are correct, but after ALL these years of carpet cleaning history,,,carpet still gets left TOO wet. Also think about new owners just starting the biz, and how it would help them to get a better feel for what is needed.
Do I need it...NO but it is handy and I actually like it.

Mikey P

Administrator
So Tom what are those ridges seen through the viewing port?

Oh and tell Tony if he wants to sell that or any other wand here, he has to make a $5000 donation to the Pug Rescue society of Lisa's choice

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
So what are those ridges that Larry thinks are threads?

Mike this is the adapter, it is 2" long, the threads attach it to wand head, the Ti tube gets pressed into this piece. This is kinda like what PC did but it is not the same. They handle the stress differently.
IMG_20141118_082059_009_zps1z9pmh0k.jpg

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
If they need that kind of help, they need out of this business. :arrrr:

I blame portables and under powered TM's for over wetting.

Those hacks don't need a window, they need a SEMI-Pro designation. :icon_twisted:

:winky:

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
So Tom what are those ridges seen through the viewing port?

Oh and tell Tony if he wants to sell that or any other wand here, he has to make a $5000 donation to the Pug Rescue society of Lisa's choice
Mike are you being serious right now because I will relay the message.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom