Protectors

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
How important is the sale of carpet and fabric protector, as well as stone, concrete, and grout sealer, to your business?

Share your views about products, procedures, experiences with effectiveness, and what they mean to your bottom line.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
This is a pretty weak part of my game. Protectors represent one of the fastest money makers on the truck. Mel sells over the phone and follows up with an awesome prep letter (written by Mike). The letter mentions our recommendation for protector one more time.

A monkey couldn't screw it up.

But I do.

It has a lot to do with the fact that I can see the incredible results attained by rotary extraction on carpet that hasn't been protected for years. Add up to .20 cents per foot and its a tough sell for me.

I'd like someone to sell me in it. Seriously. If someone can sell me on it and show me how that .20 cents per foot will be well spent, I can be a better salesman for it. I like to educate a customer.

I sell our business all day and am really good at it because I believe in us (experience/equip/products/process). I want to believe in protector. It's probably the easiest and quickest way to increase our bottom line.

I use Maxim but am open to hearing about what others are using.

Looking forward to reading this thread Jim.

Reactions: Wing It and Mikey P

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I have a bad taste in my mouth for pressure sales from my days (@ 14 years ago) at Stanley Steemer.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Jim we suck at it. So at this point zero to the bottom line.

How important could it be...a fantastic opportunity we are squandering. Not only are we missing the chance to gain an easy add on sale but the client is missing out on a product that they may very well want.

Last month Dan & I met with the crew leaders and asked the why don't they sell protector. Dan thought too big a hassle and
funky sprayers. I reassured him we had new sprayers I purchased last spring.

After meeting with the techs the main response was they lacked confidence in the product, not enough sales training and no support materials.

Scott Warrington sent me a packet of literature on interlinks products so that is something we are looking at. David Gargan has a nice program when they offer free spotting with the sale, which is also a consideration.

Last month I met with several other cleaners and we were the only company in that group there were not actively selling protectors. :icon_cry:

Sometimes we are made well aware we are not anywhere near as smart as we think we are. :cry:

Mikey P

Administrator
My guys and I are totally confident in how well stone sealer works, all the time.

Cleaning unsealed surfaces is a disappointing pita.

Natural fiber upholstery is where we push protection.
But how often do you see that anymore?

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Every job for t/g or stone. Main selling point to me and we then give a discount if they reclean within 24 months because the sealer should make it an easy job.

Reactions: joey895

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
from a low of 0% to a high of only 10% it looks like protectors are not being sold at all.

I agree that I am guilty as the rest but I recently made a decision to change that. I firmly believe that if alls you do is ask every customer that 10% will say yes. If you follow it up with statements like, "well I have several customers that swear by it, keeps the highest trafic areas clean longer and makes spot clean up a snap, and for only 8 dollars a month it really is a good value if you have your carpet treated once a year." With that statement I believe you can get at least 25% of customers treating at least the livingroom.

protector bothers me, its like all this money lying around that is meant for me. All I need to do is take a little bit of effort and bend over and pick it up.

dwellpro

Supportive Member
Name
m
If I put a proposal together before cleaning I always add protectant cost. The service has to be fairly new and expensive though.
I won't treat a surface that is several years old.

My pricing usually revolves around the cost of a technician on the job. I always wanted to at least cover that. Repeat customers get a good deal on protection. You make sure they know this and they are very happy.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I get no positive feedback from the sale of carpet protectors. Nobody EVER tells me it's great or they see a difference. I can't tell it either. So, I don't sell it much, unless the customer specifically asks for it. May be I have just been using the wrong protector?

I don't push grout sealers either, but that's probably because of my lack of trust of carpet protectors. I must say though, of the T&G jobs I have sealed, I can't say I have noticed any positive feedback.

Reactions: Bjorn

steve_64

the biggest reason i dont push it more is the additional dry times and the crunchy feel when it does dry.

i did commit to selling protector more this year by buying a couple cases but still have several gallons left.

i had a new customer put me down for not having it in the van last year. she said "what kind of carpet cleaner doesnt offer protector"? i had to order some and go back to add the protector. it was late winter and i let myself run out. :hopeless:

not sure about my bottom line but it sure made a few jobs much more profitable.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Tile..almost 100% of the time
Carpet and uph..10%?

Imo, all it takes to see t&g sealer works is a few drops of water on a grout line. Soaks in - no sealer, stays on top - it's sealed. Very easy to show the custy it works and they "understand". I also agree with the 10%, if they ask. Generally I wont bring it up.

100% nylon protecting polyester or olefin is a waste

I totally agree. Yet thousands of cleaners will be more than willing to protect commercial carpet(olefin).

mike r

Name
Michael Ramsey
T&G yes, upholstery yes. We limit residential service to employees that work in industrial/commercial accounts we service. Do not even offer protectant for carpet unless a customer is hell bent on it. It is rare though. Was talking with a chemist with a carpet cleaning chemical company years ago,(don't remember which on) and stated my opinion on protectors. I said we are applying a topical treatment to a fabric that is walked on by many many people. With constant traffic and scuffing I would think it,(protector) would wear off very fast. He was silent for a moment and said "you're right". To me carpet protectors are a waste of money at best and at worst a rip off. I guess I just blew any chance of ever getting hired by Stanley Steemer.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I don't do tiles.
As per carpet & upholstery, I will only do it if the client insists. (Very rare.)

I don't feel that adding one more chemical into their indoor environment is a good service.

Reactions: mirf and Willy P

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Since Scotchgard went off the market here many years ago, I have done very little, compared to Scotchgard days.

We do no carpet protection, only upholstery.

This last year I was introduced to a product that is now getting me more work, mainly on NEW upholstery & rugs.

Does anyone else here use MicroSeal ??

I think I have seen a couple that say they do.

:yoda:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
For carpet I stole from david gargan's delivery, thought his was the best.

Even used it on a DM campaign running currently.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I'll pile on here then. I don't like applying Scotchgard to a carpet cleaning job I've been so careful to remove and minimize the moisture and assure fast drying, but some customers insist on it so I apply the crap. To me it's an unhealthy product to apply (goes in your lungs and does who knows what) increases drying time and serves no purpose. Not exactly a strong product for salesman confidence.

Al_Paulsen

I had light sage green carpet in my MBD. Cleaned every 6 months. I have 4 big dogs that come in muddy in the winter and sleep in the MBD. After 14 years the carpet looked like new other than a pivot point by the door. A few times I skipped protector and it resoiled faster and was harder to clean. That is what I tell them. Same with white grout in my MBA. Although in my shower it makes NO difference. We are at 20% residential carpet protector and 80% grout and stone.

Name
Rifleman
Good subject, but you should mention what brand of protector you are using. I have been using Green Guard on all my jobs. Been back to those jobs and it works.

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
Protectants are a substantial part of our revenue. So is upholstery cleaning, in plant rug cleaning, tile and grout cleaning, encap., etc...You can't sell it if you don't believe in it.

Reactions: Russ T.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Definitely a big part of our business. As far as how I simply offer and tell them the benefits and leave it up to them. But most of our jobs that own their homes apply stain shield to the high used areas and almost all hard surface jobs seal all their floors

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Protectants are a substantial part of our revenue. So is upholstery cleaning, in plant rug cleaning, tile and grout cleaning, encap., etc...You can't sell it if you don't believe in it.

Agreed Joe. Make me a believer!

I want to KNOW that the customers $ is being well spent with carpet protector. My problem is I don't know that....yet.

If I believe it, I can educate them and help them believe it. I don't want to leave a bad taste in the custy's mouth after I leave.

I will be hiring a new tech in the Spring and this could be an important part of increasing our profit margins.

The Clean Machine

Reactions: hogjowl

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom