07 and up sprinter fuel tap - a do it yer selfer

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
After not being able to find a fuel tap anywhere for this van and needing to get it on the streets, I decided to see if it was possible to easily fab one up.

Almost all 07 and up will have an auxilary pick-up, top left center of this pic, if you do not need return, you pull from here and you are done.

IMAG0551.jpg

If you need a return, you have to drop the tank. disconnect the lines in the front of the tank, and there is a wiring harness plug you must disconnect beside them, both clearly visable, no tools required just push the lock tab into the fitting and they pop apart - remove the fuel door and filler neck bolts, 3 bolts to remove the exhaust shield, 6 bolts (you need a star socket set) for the tank straps. Note, run the tank as close to empty as you can - but don't run dry. Drop the tank.

The sending unit is where you'll plumb the return line through. disconnect all the lines and plug to it. You need a strap wrench to get it out. The float and pickup tube on it are long and run to the rear, be careful not to break them.

Top view of the sending unit out of the tank you'll see a red circle where you want to drill through

IMAG0553.jpg

Here is the bottom of it, and why you have to use that specific spot

IMAG0554.jpg

Hole drilled (make sure not to get plastic bits into the bottom assembly of the unit when drilling). Note that you will have to dremel out a tiny little bit of the plastic gusset going to where the wire plug goes.

IMAG0557.jpg

Brass fitting with the line already installed on it, you will need to use the squeeze on clamps, the others won't fit. I drilled out a washer to fit the brass fitting through to serve as a backer for the rubber ring to seal the tank.

IMAG0558.jpg

This is the only way it will install, position the hose this way, you have to use a 90 fitting, a straight won't have the clearance.

IMAG0559.jpg

Barrel connector on the enderside with a smaller oring to seal from the inside as well - don't go too nuts tightening, you do NOT want to break the plastic - I believe these pickup/sending units run upwards of $2500

IMAG0561.jpg

Back under the van with the tank in position to go back up, the sending unit in place, and the hose run just about the only way it will fit and not pinch

IMAG0562.jpg

Plumb it and your pick-up line through the floor using the standard brass parts found in just about any fuel tap kit, and yer done ;)

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Thanks guys, hopefully this will help a few newer sprinter owners with diesel TM's. 1 hr and about $5 in parts. I have 3 more to do, if I figure a better way I'll add it to the post.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
oh shit.....what a pita....

GREAT JOB...SERIOUSLY

makes me want to keep my boat tank though....lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom