10th Floor Cleaning....

Tom Mock

I've got an apartment dweller living on the 10th floor. He has a balcony overlooking the street.
How much hose does a guy need to reach the apartment?

This one is new to me. I've not had had the opportunity to clean that far up yet.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
do you have access to a portable? I know you could get there straight up with 120 ft and then probbaly 80 ft for the job, but I would bring a porty and some heat and 50 ft of hose

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I have cleaned as high as 10 floors up with the tm. If you can go straight up and into the apartment 200 feet should be plenty depending on size of apartment. For me the tm (even as high as 10 floors) is faster,easier, and higher quality than the portable. I do have to use the portable on some occasions where their is limited access. Make sure to have some hose hooks and/or bungie cords. Also it is easier to carry the hose up in the elevator and then lower it down than to pull it up.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
can we get a greenie, harry, lee or larry or someone to chime in about cleaning straight up. I do not have much info but would love to have it. I carried porty, Truckforce heater, rotovac and hoses to third floor the other day and would much rather ran a hose up 3 or 4 floors straight up

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I don't even start thinking about using the portable until we are talking 6th floor or higher and then it just depends on the access point. I'm certainly not one of the guru's you mentioned but if you're referring to how much vacuum you would have I would think if anything it would help evacuate the water from the hose faster with it going straight down. At any rate I'm sure that I've got more vacuum ,even at those heights, than I would have with the porty, not to mention the increased heat and pressure.

10th Floor

The horizontal run of your hoses it what counts.

Once when the late ED York and I were running carpet dyeing clinics.
Ed booked us into a Holiday Inn in Hollywood.Got there and conference room was on top floor.Local cleaners loaned hoses,tied the together and we carried on.

May write a book about my ED York experiences.

Judson

GRHeacock

I did a lot of high rises.

My preference for anything over the second floor was a portable or VLM system.

Sure a TM is faster once it is set up, but setting up and breaking down can take longer than the cleaning.

Plus you have the hazard of the truck running, and not being near it if there is a problem.

And, one case of cleaning the carpets in the hallway of a high rise's basement parking lot, the Truck Mount's propane heater set off the fire sprinkler system.

Gary

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Greg;

If you can go straight up, 10 floors is no problem for the vac system, since the solution flow is aided by gravity. Cleaning only; water damage is another issue.

You will however lose a little water pressure at that height.

Just bump up the pressure about 50 PSI or so.

Larry Cobb

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
so I can clean 4th floor apartments with no problem as long as they don't go beyond my truckmount capacity or 200-300ft...That is why I got the rope but wasn't sure if I could do it withou hurting my results

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Judson

Please write that book. I'm pondering one of my own, but mine might have to wait till some of the "usual suspects" have gone onto their "final reward".

I've got a great Ed York story whenever you want it!

G

10th floor 200ft hallways with my ole 45 unglided unmodified TM every quarter. Carpets are dry to touch 3 hours.

Set up times are the toughest. Tie your connectors together on the hose that hangs down. bungee straps are a must. Would I do this just for 1 apt probably not. Rent a rug doctor. One of these times I may try the pvc set up as I can probaly leave strapped in stairwell.

cmaster

Name
Paul Budnik
We have done up to 16 floors with our TM, running hoses up a stairwell. No noticeable loss of suction on the vertical drop, just the horizontal run.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
cmaster said:
We have done up to 16 floors with our TM, running hoses up a stairwell. No noticeable loss of suction on the vertical drop, just the horizontal run.

16 floors and up a stair well. :shock: How much hose did it take to get that high twisting up a stairwell?

When I have gone 10 floors it was straight up and over the ledge. At 16 floors I think the only way to do it would be up a stairwell, the weight of the hose would be too much to drop straight down over a ledge.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Wouldn't it be nice if all commercial buildings would incorporate something like three inch schedule 40 for vacuum into the building when it was built.

Rex Tyus

10 floors is like a 100 ft vertical right :?:

Gravity would absolutely be your friend. Especially with 2.5" hose. :D

Name
Jesse
Sometimes 1 floor can be 20 ft, it varies. We have a reel on wheels but we have to use a separate cargo van to get it there. Both of our tm's have 0 extra space. Id like to see a dual hose reel that was made to be portable easily. When going through stairwells some have a pass between the flights, the hoses can still go straight down.

Becker

Name
Becker
I'd have no interest in doing it with anything other than a portable type cleaning.

Either way it would have a upcharge.

cmaster

Name
Paul Budnik
Joey Johnston said:
cmaster said:

16 floors and up a stair well. :shock: How much hose did it take to get that high twisting up a stairwell?

When I have gone 10 floors it was straight up and over the ledge. At 16 floors I think the only way to do it would be up a stairwell, the weight of the hose would be too much to drop straight down over a ledge.

Go between the railings in the stairwell. It's a straight drop. Approximately 160 ft or 3 50' lengths plus. We tie it off half way down to reduce the weight.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I tm'd one of my clients apartments a few weeks ago in the 3rd floor. Too much of a pita for me. I told him next time it will be op'd.

Albert

cmaster

Name
Paul Budnik
We charge a $50 set up fee for anything over 5 floors or one 50' length of hose. If you run a 2 man crew, set up is a snap. One man is a PITA.

bobrog

Suggest you consider using cool cuff swivel connections to ensure hose sections are locked. You could give somebody a nasty bump on the head if they broke loose 10 stories up.

G

They have section 8's that high up der in Kanada?? I mean upnorth?

Chad

G

We can send you some more Samalians if you want. Maybe a few Mungs too? (Hondas with fart pipes and fiberglass bumpers will be included if acted within the next 24 hours)

Chad

R

R W

I regularly clean at 5 floors and higher. I would never consider hanging hoses more than 2-3 stories, just for the liability factor. I run the stairwells, tieing off at every connection. With a 2 man crew, set up isn't so bad. I will also run the steps every 15 minutes or so to check for leaks, and check on the truck. When I do hang hoses out, I lower them with a rope when finished.

I'm going up 2 floors tomorrow, so it's a snap to setup..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom