1st time ever.. Pissed off client.

Becker

Name
Becker
Ok, For 5 years now I have been cleaning for this lady.

1st time she pointed out her fancy drapes, and asked me to be careful with them.

That day she helped me loop them over the rod, or drape them across a sofa that was not being moved.

Ok, we are talking about 16 panels, all matching and over sized.

So some 6-7 cleanings later, she calls and leaves a VM, telling me what a great job I did on the carpets but wanted to know if I was bonded, and she has a problem with her drapes. I really hope you are bonded she sez.

She sez she used a chair when bringing the drapes down, and noticed a tear in one. She things I did it.

My guess is she wants them all replaced.

I returned her call, got VM, explained the care I took with the drapes as always, did as I have done for all the past cleanings.
Explained that if the drapes snagged as she pulled them down, then it was not my fault. But I offered to come over and take a look.
I also pointed out another on a set I always drape over the sofa was torn.

I have not heard back from her yet. 2 days have now passed.

My guess is these super delicate silk drapes are 8 years old.

I know I did not damage them.

I may never hear from her again. But if I do what route should I take?
My guess is one panel alone can not be replaced. And match.

Rex Tyus

If she calls again take a look. Turn it over to your insurance, explain your side to the adjuster. They will investigate and possibly deny the claim. You might let her know that a bond won't help in a case like this. General Liability is what she wants to know about (It never hurts to dig at their ignorance since they are already pissed off). :twisted: :twisted:

Becker

Name
Becker
Yeah I told her if anything it is an insurance claim, not a bond issue.

Fact is the sun does shine here, and after 8 years I'm sure they have become worn.

A supplier told me that even if insurance covered it, they would deprecate them to almost nothing.

Kinda pisses me off, because I know the tear happened when she pulled the drapes down. And I put them up as she has always asked me.

I told her I want to come look at them. ( and take pictures. Did not tell her that) But she has not called me back.

Maybe she has come to reason.

I hope, As like aways she is not there, or leaves after I start and I bill her.

I'll be looking for that check in the mail.

diamond brian

Make your insurance co the bad guy. Not you--not your custy. It's the only way to not lose in this situation.

Becker

Name
Becker
I'm pretty sure all I will lose is a client.

Not a big deal, she has not sent me any referrals I know of.

Good client, big house, good $$.

But, another will take her place.

AnnaAgostino

Hi Don :)

I agree with Ed. She didn't see you do it and can't prove anything, so she doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Did you do it? You don't have to answer this publicly, but if you did then assume responsibility and go through your insurance and get them taken care of. If you didn't then I would just tell the customer that you did not do damage to her drapes and if you lose that customer, then so be it. I wouldn't pay for a damage I didn't do, regardless of losing a customer.

Also, if you have cleaned for this customer all these times and you never damaged these drapes before. that should tell her something :)

Anna :)

Becker

Name
Becker
Thanks guys, and Anna.

I know I did not cause any damage. And if I did, or even think I did I would be right their trying to figure out the best course of action to make her whole.

Oh well.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I'm thinking there's a reason you didn't post this over on ICS, and it's because you didn't want to be told to replace the drapes.

Is there anything else we can tell you that you want to hear?

Becker

Name
Becker
I just bought another boat, I can't afford to be buying 8 year old drapes. Besides, they would not look good in my tin house on wheels.

duckster

Offer a free cleaning in payment for the drape. Have it in writing that this is a free job to cover for the torn drape. What does that solution cost you? And you still have the customer.

That's my take.

-JB-

Name
JB
Call your insurance agent, not to make a claim, just to document your knowledge of the situation to be put in your file, just in case it comes back on you later, it won't effect your rates.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
diamond brian said:
Make your insurance co the bad guy. Not you--not your custy. It's the only way to not lose in this situation.

Chances of him cleaning for her again, are slim to none. Either way, I wouldn't pay for jack crap. Go get out every invoice you have ever done for her, you should be able to count how many times you have picked those drapes up carefully, and delicately.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Jmo but I think you should call her to see when you can come take a look at them. She may have come to her senses and wants to apologize for the trouble. She might have some more work for you!

G

Some customer are just difficult. I recently had one that complained about EVERTYTHING and EVERYPERSON that has ever performed any service she has ever had. She complained about her $6000 granite counter tops, her appliances, her EVERYTHING. Then I realized, she is just a bitch. I can't imagine going through life and thinking that everything is so effed up. She doesn't have to work and has a large house and money to burn, she even said that she can afford ANYTHING, but still lives the ecclesiastical lifestyle. It's too bad that there are people who look for a reason to be unhappy so they can find some stupid reason to complain. I didn't make her too happy when I forgot to tighten the dishwasher drain to the disposed after I reconnected her plumbing. It made a small flood under her kitchen sink (0r so she says, she wouldn't let me come back and fix it). I accept that I am now another in her long line of incompetency that infects her life Perhaps there is something to that thing they call karma?? I am sorry that it happened, but it couldn't of happened to a nicer person.

Dolly

It is always suspicious when a custy asks that question about being bonded and insured.

Red flag usually. They are looking for something to pin something on you

Another agenda perhaps.

I hope it works out for you and that you will not loose her business, but then if she was wanting to use this issue to get new drapes, do you want to keep her.

Only you know , I hope it works out favorably.

G

George

In the future, ask your customers for clothes hangers to hang up the drapes. It will avoid problems like this and is much more professional.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Them freakin plumbers are only good for unclogging toilets.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
check everything while I am there, once I am gone(unless it is related to the carpets) it is your problem

-JB-

Name
JB
Becker

I thought you were the one that posted the idea about bagging the drapes in kitchen waste can liners? Was this from before you started doing that?

Scott Hayward

Becker,

Sorry to hear your woes with the drape lady. If she wants you to clean for her again...refer her to Coit. She will soon find out what an outstanding cleaner you were.

None of that is important though. How did your date go with your customer a couple of weeks ago? Or was it your customers sister? Anyways, we are all rooting for you. Hopefully she isn't into drapes.

Scott

Becker

Name
Becker
I still bag drapes. But not all.
I dealt with these how she had asked me to the 1st time I cleaned for her. Her VM she left even said, "You looped them over the rod, and that is fine but when........"

Maybe I'll start bagging everything that can't be easily pulled up.

I'm not worried about this drape issue. If she does call me again for cleaning I will note any damage to anything before I get started and have her sign off on it. She won;t be to pleased as she aways wants to just leave the door unlocked, or leave once I get there.

That brings up another point. She likes to leave the door unlocked for me, what id someone came in before I got there and cleaned her out. Is that my fault? LOL

Date with the client went well, we see each other from time to time.

Currently I'm dating 5 girls ranging in age from 27-37.

Heading out tomorrow till Monday, Next date Tuesday.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom