2.5 swivel cuff report

Wandslinger

Name
Tom Meyer
junk, junk, junk. The ones I received seem to fall apart just being on the hose reel often exposing the "O" ring. I've snapped them back together more times than I would like to say. Great concept but poorly made Chinese product. They leak something fierce. I wish Joe would have just kept it simple with the latches.

Greenie

Ssshhhhhhh...I got $1500 in 2.5 cuffs left to sell.

I agree they suck, but you can pop em back and they still work.

My question for all you guys that told Joe you wanted a swivel 2.5 WTF were you thinking? And I know there were some here beside Rampage that asked for them. There isn't a reason on earth to have a 2.5 swivel, should have been a latch for sure.

Same holds true for swivel stair tools, if you had a properly designed tool in the first place, you wouldn't be addicted to the swivel....but you never had one.

LeeCory

Greenie, I don't understand your problem with swivel stair tools.

I like to clean the nose going from both directions. I come a little down from the top, then I swivel and clean the riser and come up over the the top. I can't imagine the ergonomics of doing this with a long solid tool and especially having to flip the thing upside down.

Maybe it can be done but I don't understand your aversion to ease of use.

Greenie could you lead me in the direction of a post you've made speaking of the results of the testing done on ergonomics between a good swivel tool and your long straight tool?

I would like to see a video of someone using "a properly designed stair tool". And I volunteer to make a video of using a "properly designed swivel stair tool". I'd like to see which looks easier.

Greenie

Lee, I've used both, obviously you haven't.
The point I'm trying to make is try the other before you ask for a custom built tool that may not be necessary.

LeeCory

That's where you have me confused. Yes I have tried a straight stair tool, and I had to turn it upside down. The problem with doing that is that along with turning the tool upside down, the hoses are also turned upside down. The way I like to "round" over the nose on the upstroke means I have to take the tool into an awkward position.

When using my swivel head tool, I no longer have to turn it upside down and it is far superior.

And the point I am trying to make is that their must be some way to use your tool without flipping it upside down that I am missing.

The next time you are cleaning a set of steps could you have someone take their digital camera and make a short video clip so you can help me to understand? Are you going to be cleaning a set of steps soon? I could take my video tomorrow. How many sets of steps have you cleaned yourself with the new stair tool?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
OK 2 questions.............

I am a avid swivel user.been using the same ones for quite some time with no problems at all ........what is wrong with the 2.5's are they not made like the 2 " what changed........

also.........this is twice that I was going to order my new stair tool and twice Greene got me rethinking it.....how much different is Greene's then a swivel.....why is it easier..how are you holding and working the tool to do the risers if it don't swivel........mind you I have only ever used the short pro chem tool.........and I really need to step it up........

Mike Draper

my O rings have long since broke. so I was winding up my reel the other day and the hose came completely apart and smacked me right in the nose. I was cussin like a sailor!!!

Greenie

Lee, you have used a 2" straight tube stair wand that was not a Stanley Steemer wand (cause it's totally different)?

I ask because I had a single bend stair tool, and a UT-40 straight on the truck, the straight is just more universal, especially if you happen to have a glide on it.
You are already comfy with your swivel, so you should stay with it, my appeal is to those who are looking for a new tool.

I will say that the swivel tool has a few drawbacks in my eyes.
#1 the forward handle is fixed, you grab it there and that is it. ON the straight tool you have almost 18" of insulated tube to hold the tool by, you can place your forward hand anywhere, very handy.

#2 because the head swivels you can only "leverage" so much, there is something to be said for the 40" tool being solid, it's really good on risers.

#3 the swivel is only a 30" tool, a 40" tool allows you to clean stairs standing up, very nice on the back, not so nice in a pie shaped radius stairway, trade offs?.

The forward hand position ends up being a big deal.

I'm amazed how many don't put a glide on their stair tool, it's the answer for cleaning bullnose steps better, a radius on a radius, I think this may be part of the technique you refer to on bullnose extraction, it's just easier with a radius tool.

I could go into the FeatherTouch valve, but everyone here knows about that already, and the advantage of high flow jets with checkvalves, teh standard PMF valve on that 30" tools plain and simply stinks.

Other than that it's just another tool.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
OK so how does yours work on the risers......

are you holding it straight with the hose tossed over your shoulder or is everything in front of you.........

then what about the step itself.........how level are you cleaning...........

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
I've used both the straight and swivel. The swivel wins hands down, with or without a glide.

I get plenty of leverage with the swivel without the headache of twisting the whole wand and hoses. It just makes perfect sense. Besides you can angle the head when you're up against the wall with the banister in the way and get the entire step cleaned.

But then again, you could be a hack like Mikey and use a floor tool to clean steps. Jeeezzzzzz.

Greenie

buyit try it, you can give it back, you'll never know listening to feed back from limp wristed back handed riser cleaners. It is a man's wand, not for the feint.

Able 1

Name
Keith
i have one of those longer prochem stair tools.

the only reason i have not put a glide on it is that dirt seems the worst right where the riser meets the step.

how does it work there?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I have a glide on my pro chem and it does fine......I have never had a problem...........tilt it in.key the trigger..... and run like hell..............does just fine.........

John Watson

Helen has the long handled pro chem stair tool with the glide and threatened to castrate whats left of me if I thought about messing with it again. She is still pissed I had it and waited over 8 months before putting the glide on her stair tool She said it was perfect for the crotch and the knose and she would stick my knose up my crotch if I didn't leave it alone unless of coarse Jeff and Lisa come out with something she liked better!!!! Go Figure

Able 1

Name
Keith
I have used a whip in the past for stairs but it was lost on a job.

since then I've been using my 2" hose it fits right over the stair tool works great!

do most of you guy's use a whip or go right off the 2"?

did 5 stair cases I'm feeling it now!

FastEddie

Where I see where the Swivel tool wins is angles. Tight spaces where you cannot go in with a longer straight tool. Freshly painted walls will appreciate the swivel action.

FastEddie

I ended up slapping on some Gorilla Glue all around the 2.5" female swivel cuff and sealing it for good.

John Watson

We used to go off the 1 1/2 whip but after getting the 2 inch flexible hose we are only 2 inch cept when we put on the T& G tools...

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I am using a whip because it is easier with the short pro chem....I plan on going 2 inch once I order my new one.......

FastEddie

It's a whip that originally started out 1.5" and eventually ends up 2" with a very smooth transition. I ended up hacking as much 1.5" as I could to barely get the 1.5" cuff on. I am getting 1 hr dry times or less with my 09 jetted glided swivel tool. I really can't think of a reason to go to 2" for a glided stair tool.

gasaxe

FastEddie said:
It's a whip that originally started out 1.5" and eventually ends up 2" with a very smooth transition. I ended up hacking as much 1.5" as I could to barely get the 1.5" cuff on. I am getting 1 hr dry times or less with my 09 jetted glided swivel tool. I really can't think of a reason to go to 2" for a glided stair tool.

kinda like this
http://www.dultmeier.com/catpages/E0093.gif

top right hand of page...

LeeCory

I guess I am a limp wristed stair tool user. And I bet if other cleaners compared a straight wand on risers and angles compared to a swivel they would be also. You don't have to be an ape to work smart.

And one that has a tool that clean at angles that a fixed wand could never.

Also get to stand up while cleaning the steps... LOL how silly, you stand 2 or 3 steps below the one you are cleaning.

The handle is a place to hold onto that makes sense. Doesn't need a whole tube to try to grab onto to make up for lack of ergonomics.

Greenie, How many sets of steps have you cleaned with your new tool? Do you clean steps on a regular basis?

Are you willing to compare short simple videos showing each tool in actual use, on actual stairs, cleaning in tight angles?

I really want to understand why your tool is so much better than a swivel tool other than being called limp wristed.

There are only so many lemmings.

P.S. Jim, to make a fair comparison... also purchase a good swivel tool and keep the one your prefer. Making a comparison and making up your own mind is a cool thing.

Greenie

Lee, don't take it personal. I refer to the limp wristed stuff because I hate cleaning the risers with a swivel tool because your hand remains in the same position as when doing the tread, and you are in effect "back handing" the riser, not good for control, with your palm towards the riser you are applying force and control in the proper direction.

As for handle or no handle, I stand firm, holding the 2" insulated tube is very comfortable, and having that bolt on handle is nothing more than a liability, it's just one more thing to get in the way.

I already said that certain shaped staircases would benefit from a smaller tool, and Fast Eddie points that out, in fact some are just going to be better with a small hand tool when it comes right down to detailing.

But...for 95% of the rest, a 2" tubed, streamlined wand is a money maker. The 14" version will be too I am sure.

Obviously you have your preference, and I have mine, but I had my tool made cause it didn't exist, so I don't take it lightly when someone tries to compare something they've never used.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom