2" hose to the wand, more CFM's or Lift?

FastEddie

What really makes the difference? I am leaning towards lift. Just seems that cfm's with the glide on the carpet, would remain the same, if using a short 1.5 whip"

Mikey P

Administrator
With a real TM you can have both...

A cleaning nerd like you deserves a Vortex.

Go the distance Eddie.

tatt.jpg

G

I think he is too cheap. He would rather nickle and dime it than step up to the plate and be money ahead.

Chad

hogjowl

Idiot™
Funny you should bring this topic up. I have been seriously toying with the idea of trading my unit in for an uprade to a 47 unit. The reason is not because I think a 47 might help me be more productive, or lower my drying times any. (I mean, just HOW MUCH FASTER DO I WANT? They're at 1.5 to 2 hours NOW!) I think with a 47 blower I can go back to a 1.5 inch whip hose ... as long as I use a hole glided wand.

You see ... at my age, lugging and wrestling a 2 inch hose all day gets really hard. Into my second job today (yes, I work on Saturdays, and like it) I had to take a pain pill for my arthritis in my hands and wrists from it all.

Plus, running a 1.5 inch wand allows me to switch to my upholstery tool, or stair tool without having to exchange hoses ... thus allowing me to clean between that piece of furniture and the wall, or under the bed, etc. Areas where the wand won't reach.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Eddie;

The 2" leader hose adds a slight amount of lift.

That, in turn, allows a slighty higher CFM @ the wand-carpet interface.

So actually, both are increased.

Is it enough to make a noticable difference, I don't think so.

Only testing will tell for sure.

Larry Cobb

FastEddie

I guess being 6'8" and 320lbs has it's advantages

Nice Tat, arms need some work though. LOL.......

hogjowl

Idiot™
I just turned 49, and really didn't start having any problems until last year. It started out just being a problem during the winter cold months, but since I started using a 2 inch wand, my wrists have started giving me real problems. Usually after a full day of cleaning.

Nothing a helper couldn't solve if I'd just get my Joe Brister personality disorder under control so somebody could work for me.

Greenie

I agree with Larry, except I do think it makes a difference.

Marty, just step back to a 1.75" wand, it's a whole lot better than dropping to a 1.5", and that superflex 2" hose shouldn't be any more stiff than most 1.5" leaders.

If you do opt for a leader, I'll send you one of my Cobra lead hoses to try out, it starts out 2" and Sloooowly tapers to 1.5", very good on airflow.
It's only avail in the carwash grade right now, working on the polymer to make it higher heat with my hose guy.

As for upgrading, are you happy with your production and dry times...then screw it, stay with the machine you have, besides you already have a vac booster, if anything a mainline hose upgrade to 2.5" from van to door would give you the most bang for your buck.

Your unit is plumbed 2.5" from blower to tank...right?

Mikey P

Administrator
Got to be someone down there willing to work hard for 15 an hour.

Hang out at the Kingdom Halls like I did.

jwit's make great chimps.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I hear that Stockwellian disease runs rampant amoung J-Wits. If so, I'd end up in prison.

Yeah, Greenie ... 2.5 to the tank. Something to think about ...

hogjowl

Idiot™
No ... you misunderstand ... Stockwellian disease is where a person knows everything about everything and talks about it constantly.

I'd have to shoot him.

G

It does not make any difference to most guys UNLESS the wand is 2" tubed as well. Why is that? Because the radius in the internal surface areas of a 2" tubed wand are less restrictive than those of a 1.5" tubed wand. As far as the whip hose goes, the effect is minimal if it is a short 10 ft whip or less. It can still flow at least 280 cfms, and I can tell you that is more than twice as much cfms than most of you are getting at the WCI, which is where the real restriction in your system lies. Until you fix that, working on the next choke point with 2X better flow is NOT going to help much.

Mikey P

Administrator
Do the "on-off, on-off" test with a whip hose of any length on a 2" wand and if you dont hear or feal the difference it means one of two things.

1. Your vac relief is set or stuck at under 10, or under 7 like some of my local morons.

0r

2. You're just a plain idiot. ( who should be running a OP so you do less damage....

If my 16 tear old twig of a son can use my set up so can YOU!

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Marty get that 47 blower and do away with that vac booster.
You wouldn't need it running an average hose run of 75-100 ft.
I also use a 15 ft superflex hose as my leader.
Got it at Dultmeirers for $15.

Like I said in an earlier post...run an emulsifier that doesn't foam.
That alone will decrease drying times.

Also when you get a bigger blowered machine go get a wider wand and be more productive.
Means less time on the job.

Fon Johnson

For those who say that there is no difference using a whip, or not using a whip, how do you address those (including myself) who have done it both ways and found that whipless dry times are shorter? If you can only move so much cfm to begin with, why have so many noticed a difference? Heck, I won't even boggle the mind so much as to ask this question: If only so much cfm can move through the wand/hose/cwi, then why do those with larger blowers see exponentialy quicker dry times compared to those with smaller blowers? I guess you nerds have nothing on me and my 33.. :twisted:

G

Fon: The reason most that have the larger blowers see slightly quicker dry times is not the size of the blowers, but the fact that most of them(like the Vortex and such)run higher LIFT. It is the lift that gives you the increased cfm, NOT the other way around.

The reason that people THINK that the whip cuts down on the cfm is because of the way they test it. Most only have the wand OFF the carpet and listen to how loud it sounds.Of course the 2" hose is going to sound louder and move more air that way. If it is hooked to a 45 blower moving 320 cfms, nearly ALL of it will then move through the wand. The whipped hose will only let a maximum of about 250 cfm through. You can HEAR that difference! But when the wand is on the carpet working, airflow is reduced to 100 to 150 cfms(depending on glide), and then the fifference wether you have a whip on or not does not exist.

Fortunatly, I use a Anemometer to check my facts on this, and do not have to depend on opinion only like some here, eh?

FastEddie

Gotta say I agree with Ken. When that wand is on the carpet, it's all whole nutha ballgame.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
tell me why my 1.5 tubed wands "stick" to the carpet better with 2" hose all the way compared to using a whip?

..L.T.A.

The Preacher

all this just to get a 1/4" of carpet fiber clean??? LOL

a good VACUUM is gonna get out more soil than any other tool, so why not get a vacuum that does the job right before you crank up that TM, Bonnet, OP, Cimex, CRB etc etc???

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom