2003 6.0 ltr Chevy Express Water Pump

R

R W

Well, mine went out at 56,000 miles. I was going to tackle the job on the weekend, cause I just like doing mechanical work. But....the pump was only available as a new pump, and that was $160. Plus, there is absolutely NO room to work in that engine compartment, from either top or bottom. So.....since I had extended warrantee on the van (100,000 miles or 60 months), I took it to the dealer. In by 8....out by 11! And it was only $100...the cost of the copay.

I've read about other GM Van owners having fuel pump problems.....any here??

Matt King

Fuel pump issues were on the 97-2001 (and some 2002) models. 2003 and newer you're safe. New pump and wiring design... I actually thought the new GM/Chevy vans are easier to work on than the older models if you take the top shroud off. I'm at about 46k on my 2005 w/ a pto and no issues as of yet (knock on wood)... I'm wondering how their new 250k mile warranty is gonna work? And Chrysler with their 'Unlimited' (or is it limited?) powertrain warranty. Either way, it should be interesting..

TimP

I think the water pump in mine is starting to go. It probably will be a few years before it goes out but I hear a squeaking noise when I start the van up, and it just started but maybe it's nothing. I'm not too worried yet but it's supposed to have 100 k mile warranty or something, factory.

John Watson

Tim, It might be in your benefit to get a little worried, That squeal could be just belt noise or the start of a squealing bearing which could mean very negative results down the road, ( Water pump ceased up as you drive down the freeway, engine over heats, blows head gasket, warps head, screws up piston which scores cylinder wall in block.) Please pay heed to warning signs they can help prevent gray hair and indigestion. I am speaking from experience..My oldest daughter did something similar to her car a couple of months ago..

TimP

If it gets louder I'll take it in, it goes away after a while. Right now it's not that loud at all but I just figure it probably is the pump not much else to go out I figure. I have less than 10k miles on it and less than 600 hours on the cds so it should be fine.

Rex Tyus

Get it checked Tim. I had a squeaking once and took it in. The water pump was leaking on the belt. It was about to go. If I would have waited much longer I might have been stranded by the road. Coolant dripping on your belt can be bad.

TimP

I will look to see if I see anything on the belts but I figure I'm just being paranoid. I hear squeaks from my older vehicles too and they run for ever hearing the sounds I figure it's just normal. I don't see the coolant level going down. But I will keep an eye and ear out for it.

R

R W

That was my first sign....coolant level dropping. I never bothered to look underneath. I was carrying around an aluminum roasting tin to catch the drips in customers drives.

Chris A

Name
Chris
ahh, the wonderfully built Chevy Express. My '04 w/ 38k has a belt squeak, rear brakes are touch-and-go, and leaks oil. POFS!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom