2005 chevy express, low oil light on, oils fine?

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
The check oil light is on, oil level is ok. The oil pressure gauge moves back and forth when you press gas pedal. anyone know what this could mean?

G

That happened recently when I took it in for service. The light went on even after changing the oil. I went to check the oil level and notice the dip stick wasn't fully put back in, and that did it. This seems like a simple thing, but the Chevy stopped the light with putting it back in tight. Hope it's as ez as that.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
LOL I had to turn the ignition to on and pump the gas pedal threee times to reset the oil change indicator. hmm, its never came on before. justanswer.com is great.. LOL and i thought my motor was blowing up. I had one motor blow up last week in one van and a transmission go out in another one so i panicked!

R

R W

Yea....I believe the computer counts how many times the engine was started, and for how long to determine the oil change frequency, not the actual milage. Same on my 03 Chevy.

-JB-

Name
JB
So does that mean w/a direct drive it will accumulate hour running INSTEAD of mileage?

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
have your pressure checked. it could be a bad sensor.. if the van has a ton of miles then i would worry about a oil pump..

DavidB

Most common problem is the sending unit (sensor) however the oil pump could be bad if the problem persists.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
just fyi on chevy vehicles the oil pressure is per rev, the higher your enginge revs the higher the oil preesue will be on the gauge.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
change your oil.. and get a quality filter. your check valve in the filter maybe messing up..

R

R W

DavidB said:
Most common problem is the sending unit (sensor) however the oil pump could be bad if the problem persists.
C&S said:
have your pressure checked. it could be a bad sensor.. if the van has a ton of miles then i would worry about a oil pump..

I still believe that it was just your computer telling you it's time to change the oil. It's the same on my 03. I think you turn the key on and pump the pedal to the floor 3 times in 5 seconds to reset the computer. I've got 66,000 on mine now, and change the oil and filter every 5000 miles.

Now on my wifes Chevy Venture, I think you turn the key on and off 3 times to reset the computer. I'll have to check the book.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom