$350 And 2 Days Down Time.....

R

R W

I just finished up replacing the brakes on my Chevy Express 2500, and it cost me $350 and my labor, plus the down time. I don't have a back-up TM, so either way, the truck would have been out of commision while a mechanic replaced the brakes.

Here's what I had......

$50 for 1 new rotor
$120 for a caliper bracket and the floating pins (dealer only part for rear disc....the front was available at the part store)
$60 for the rear pads (ceramic)
$45 for 3 rotors turned
$60 for the front pads (ceramic)
$15 for hardware

So.....in addition to keeping your TM and equipment running, don't forget the maintainence for your van.

I had planned for Friday downtime, and left Saturday open for the "flexible" custys. It feels good to be able to "wrench" again, but I think leaving it to the proffesionals is the best bet.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I've found that the severe service pads from NAPA seem to outlast others on the market almost twice as long. Doesn't hurt that my bro in law works there and I get jobber pricing.... :D

R

R W

Willy P said:
I've found that the severe service pads from NAPA seem to outlast others on the market almost twice as long. Doesn't hurt that my bro in law works there and I get jobber pricing.... :D

Yeah, Willy. I was just going to throw regular generic pads on, but opted for the ceramics that come standard on the van. Hey, I got over 70,000 miles out of the originals....would have lasted a bit longer if that caliper pin didn't freeze up on me. can't complain....

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Pads... or rotors.

One is gonna yield to the other.

Get heavy duty pads and you'll be replacing rotors more often.

Get standard pads and you'll be replacing them m ore often.

Name yer poison.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Lol I thought the post was about an IICRC class. I think I would have paid the extra $200 had someone else do it and take 1 day down time relaxing.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
2 Days of down time? Disc brakes all around sounds like a few hours at best to me.

R

R W

Doug Cox said:
2 Days of down time? Disc brakes all around sounds like a few hours at best to me.

Well, it was just a few hours labor wise, but running around fetchin' the parts, especially the caliper bracket at a Chevy dealer, plus my wife needed the car all day so I had to beg for rides from my sons who were busy also, plus it takes a few hours to get the rotors turned, since there are very few auto stores that will turn rotors anymore. Oh, and since I don't do brakes everyday, I took my time to do it right.

I got it done, and they will probably outlast the life of the van.

Back
Top Bottom