360i swirls- what am I doing wrong?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
So I got the 360i with brush head (and without) and the metal and glide shoes.
Broke the brush, yet kept the metal shoes. I like their ability to remove more stuff due to much larger opening than glides.

I don't use it all the time, just on trashed carpet, so not a lot of experience, still learning.

The cleaning is very good, did some wonders on trashed carpets. I am using the brush head with metal shoes and on some carpets, medium height pile (both were not very dense or high quality), it left distinct swirl marks (not all of which could be completely removed.) I worked at around 400 or so psi, pre-sprayed before, so there should have been plenty of lubrication.

What am I doing wrong here? Could it be my technique?
I do not let it stand in one place.
Is it the specific style of carpet?
Is it just the metal shoes? Can they be smoothed?
Should I just switch to the glides? Again, I like the larger opening on the metal shoes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lint Basket

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
A picture would be nice. I have the non brush head with metal swoops and teflon nubbins.
Sometimes it will cause swirls when one or two of the jets are plugged.

Name
Nate W.
400psi is a bit on the higher side Offy...... It could have been a combination of things.... Like @Onfire_02_01 said, you a pic?

I'd check the jets first... I haven't used the brush head yet, so my opinion is only with the regular head.... Max I normally go on the 360i is 350psi.... Even with a clogged jet, I can still get good cleaning results, it just takes a lot longer....

Now if you're talking about swirl marks left from the brush head, idk what to say.... What was your heat set at?

Reactions: ruff

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
We need to clarify what the issue is. Since it is frequently being confused.
Streaking swirls from one or two jets clogged or to high pressure and or heat. (I doubt, a seasoned veteran as Ofer is, would not recognize immediately those issues.)

I will assume it's the actual swirl motion marks he has an issue with. Whenever I run the 360xl, I always run drypasses with my wand immediately after a room is done and that usually takes care of it. If not, I would hit it with a grandi brush while it's still wet.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
it left distinct swirl marks (not all of which could be completely removed.)

I believe he's talking about swirl marks after cleaning that wont rake out.

Yes, turn the psi down 300 is plenty. Once in a while 350-400, if odor issues.

If the cleaning is uneven, wouldn't that be streaking?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Not streaking.
Jets not clogged.

Swirls = round forms that are not lighter or darker but show a circular form. Not necessarily progressive as to follow cleaning motion. Some would not come out with a hot wand flush (repetitious to trigger heat memory) let alone a grandi groom.

Done with brush head and metal shoes (not glided). Definitely not by the brush, which is well broken in and very soft. Could it be that the new metal shoes also need to be broken in? Do they need to be smoothed (sanded)?

I'm what Marty used to be like, as far as taking phone pictures (only in that regard, thank god?). Me talk with my kids pronto. I'll have to get more swirl marks though to practice. :winky: Call me particular but I'm just trying to avoid that.

And I am not talking about the swirls that you saw in Russ's pictures.
Yes I'm running it hot (pro 1200). Did not think this should be an issue. I suspect it's the metal shoes. Maybe if I am staying a little too long (hovering) in one place, I assume that if that's it, the high heat may be a contribute factor. Not sure if related, but it's a low heat set carpet.

Last edited:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I've got a CRB, thanks.
And the square head suggestion Mike, was a................. diamond in the rough. Thank you.

Anybody with somewhat more .............grounded advise?

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I turn down the temperature on my Powermatic when cleaning some types of carpet with the RV, Usually 200 degrees max, but often as low as 170, using 3/8 inch solution hose.

Moving a little faster so there is less heat build up may help.

Most of the time I make a perpendicular cleaning pass to my other cleaning passes, and then a good dry pass.

Sometimes I close the RV valve a little to restrict flow.

Clean an area, then stop and groom that area before continuing to clean, before the carpet cools much.

I use the QUAD head 360i, which may also make a difference.

These are things I do when necessary to avoid swirl marks.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Thank you Loren.
If correct, I assume that the issue is the metal being heated too much by the heat causing some distortion. The metal heat being different than steam heat where only water actually touching the carpet (which we know will not cause any issues and will actually trigger heat memory which will perk up the carpet.) Am I correct?

In that case would changing metal shoes to glides, solve the issue?

I also have the quad head, used only once in a different situation (did not cause swirls) but just once and a very different carpet.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
I'd like to help you Ofer but herself won't let me take advantage of a killer deal on a RV and accessories.

"Why? Why, you being such a hardworking kindhearted old Coastie, why?"

Well, I sold my old 73 Mercedes instead of getiing it restored. So now I'm in trouble but good. Seems awfully hardheaded to me..

But in lieu of actual knowlege, let me speculate! Maybe you are going too slow, heat too high and pressure too much. All those passes could be raising the fiber to the set point. So back down.

If none of that works, please feel free to send your junky 360i over here, or maybe another Mercedes.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I'll consider both.

Hell, all I'm asking in return is that you use a chess board. You put a single grain of wheat on the first square, two on the second, 4 on the third and so forth. Send total here and I'll forward the 360i .............and the Benz.

A deal?

.....and thanks. A solid advise.

You still gonna teach me to splork, right?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
My 360i is sitting in the corner of my garage, I never knew when it was going to permenantly damage a carpet[/quote]

Damage how? Ripping seams? Swirls? What happened?

Hey Fred! How about those Apples??? Should be getting my first ever dividend next month, up 20 bucks and they pay me. Woo-hoo. Going to spend it on a milk shake. lol...

F

FB7777

Permanent swirl makes on cutpile occasionally

Heat friction from the metal glides is my guess

Have several accounts where I have left swirls that I have tried to remove wand, and post bonnet . They are still there after years of cleanings since they initially happened

Fortuately they are too subtle to notice by the powers at the accounts

As for Apple , I think it's a value play with a high beta.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Permanent swirl makes on cutpile occasionally

Heat friction from the metal glides is my guess

Have several accounts where I have left swirls that I have tried to remove wand, and post bonnet . They are still there after years of cleanings since they initially happened

Fortuately they are too subtle to notice by the powers at the accounts

As for Apple , I think it's a value play with a high beta.
were those on nylon carpets or poly?

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I've used the 360i with metal "swoop" glides on hundreds of residential carpets of different types, though I just started using the brush heads a couple months ago. I've had difficulty removing the swirls on numerous occasions but i just had to work it a bit harder with the Grandi Groomer to remove the marks.

It will only do this when you are REALLY flushing a trashed carpet and going slow. Sometimes you just have to if its dirty enough.

Ofer, I hope I didn't steer you wrong. That little tool has really changed what I thought was possible for a residential cleaning tool.

I'm no shill. They threw a pretty chinsey handle, that is only slightly beefier than the one in the 360i, onto the new XL with 3/4 hp motor. It's probably an 80 lb machine. I LOVE how it cleans but guarantee there will be issues with the handle assembly.

Keep working with it Ofer. Only use it in dirty living rooms to start until you are really comfortable moving it more quickly over less soiled carpet. You will be putting more work into grooming than you have before but often it's negligible.

Get good with it and you'll have to beat Mrs. Piff and her girly friends off with a stick!

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Russ, you did not steer me in the wrong direction. I knew exactly what I was getting and what I will use it for.
Just a new tool that I need to learn it's quirks and advantages and to know what can and what should not be done with it. Granted, I'm a noob at it. Just trying not to learn too much from "experience" (aka- mistakes that may cause permanent damage).
Cause, as Chavez is my witness, I'm yet to make the first one :winky:

I'm still trying to decide if the swirl marks would have been made if I used the glides (metal and heat on carpet is very different than water heat) instead of the metal shoes.
Or if I moved faster, that alone would have prevented it?
And is it more likely to happen with medium pile low heat-set carpet?

And do I really have to turn down the heat? Painful! The wand just thrives on it.
And clients do dig it, particularly when they see that cloud of steam- Pufffff.

Last edited:
Name
Nate W.
It's a 9flow with the 3 spray jet head... I have a LG#4 heater and I've cleaned with some pretty high heat at the tool, but again I haven't have experience with the Brush head... Might have been moving too slow, I'd try going 2 different passes a little faster and see if it helps....

Reactions: Mikey P

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
And clients do dig it, particularly when they see that cloud of steam- Pufffff.

True, but keep in mind the RE is beating the snot out of the carpet underneath it. The cloud of steam is unnecessary, IMO the agitation makes up for it big time.

I use mine(360i) at 300 psi and tm set at 200. I generally do NOT use it on commercial, I'd image the swirls could happen pretty easily on a super short looped commercial carpet.

Reactions: Russ T.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom