4.8 liter verses a 6.0

Tom Servo

Is there a major advantage to going with 6 liter engine over 4.8. I seem to be able to find a lot more 4.8 than 6.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
GM has had lots of trouble with van transmissions burning up, some in under 20,000 miles. The only way you could be sure to get the heavy duty transmission that didn't burn up was to buy the 6 liter engine. I think they've fixed the problem, but I don't recall what year.

Russ Goddard

I drove both quite a bit during my few months at Venturi. Fully-laden Chevy 3500's (1-ton). The older vans had the 6.0, the newer ones had the 4.8.

The 6.0 was a real hot rod compared to the 4.8, especially off the line. The greater torque of the 6.0 got up to speed with less drama and didn't downshift as much during acceleration or going up grades. I doubt there was a huge difference in fuel mileage but I can't back that statement up with facts.

The 4.8 wasn't terrible to drive by any means, but if I were to buy one and load it up with TM, water, tools, etc. it would be the 6.0, hands down.

TimP

The 6 liter comes with the tranie cooler and power steering cooler (set up to tow if you like). I don't think there is any extra cost in fuel or minimal cause it does just sip the gas for a 6.0 liter. I drove 110+ miles and cleaned for about 3hours (cleaned about 800 ft) with my CDS and burned a quarter of a tank plus a line and mine is the extended van. All the PTO companies recommend the 6.0 as does interlink supply when they lease vehicles as do I if you can afford it, although I haven't tried the 4.3 engine and I think Rex has one so he can tell you the positives and negatives for it.

Tom Servo

Thanks for the info I have not decided on a slide in or pto yet. I take it it is more critical to have the 6 liter in the pto?

Bob Foster

Go with the 6L as these vans are heavy and working a bigger engine less will give you more longevity and probably the same or maybe better fuel economy.

Rex Tyus

I take it it is more critical to have the 6 liter in the pto?

That is the conventional wisdom. I however have an 04 express with the 4.8, a Cleanco Q56(a pto with a roots 56 dsl blower). I only have 77007 miles on the truck with 3108 hours on the machine. When i get a little more use out of it I will let you know. To soon to tell yet if the 6.0 would have made a difference.

Matt King

6.0 liter. Longer Stroke and larger cylinder bore=more low end torque. More pulling power, less stress on engine components. They have engine oil coolant lines to the radiator to keep oil temps down as well as a standard transmission cooler. I drove both new 2008's and there's no comparison in power. Especially if you plan on carrying water or heavy equipment. For a pto the low end power is great since you're running low rpms. Not to say the 4.8 is bad, they're based on the same block. The 4.8 just has a smaller bore and shorter stroke which is fine for general cargo use. Concerning fuel mileage, My 6.0 doesn't burn much gas at all. It sips gas in comparison my old 2001 with the 350 in it and has far more power...

Name
R.J. Povio
how about a 5.3 liter.....thats the middle of the road...that should do the trick for you. If you run a regular length van I would opt for the 5.3 or with an extended a 6.0 might work a little better.

We have a 4.6 liter ford that does waaaaay beter on gasoline than another one that has the 5.4 liter ford....does the 5.4 have more power....yes it does....but i bet we save over 50-75 bucks a week with the 4.6 vs the 5.4.

Our next van is going to be one with the smaller 4.6 liter hands down....we are not in a race to the next job. less gas=less cost=more profit....

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
Before I bought the new van I took a 3/4 ton with a 4.8 for a test drive. I was really impressed with the power.

The manufacturer of my pto unit recommended the 6.0. When the van was brand new and empty I drove it in to have the unit installed. Unreal 0-100mph acceleration for a 1 ton...man that was cool.

Up to that point I had driven a Montana, so the Savana / 6.0 seemed thirstier than Lindsey Lohan just out of rehab.

Matt King

lol.. :D I did the same thing. After we took the slide in out of my 6.0 1ton I took a buddy to the carwash and we scrubbed the back floor and walls then powerwashed it out. About a mile up the road after we left I hammered it from a stoplight just to see what it would do without all the extra weight. Man did that thing move... Once the tires hooked up it threw ya in your seat pretty hard. We were doing over 70 coming out of second gear Real quick. I decided the next car I build will have a 6.0 LS2.

Tom Servo

I have to drive the van back to Indiana from Nashville I looking forward to seeing how much power the thing has.

Now I just need to decide what to machine to put in the thing.

Matt King

The extended may not have as much initial 'pull' to it just because of the longer driveshaft and extra weight. I just have the regular length.. It'll still do a great job for you though. Definitely a lot more room.. You got a Great price on that thing!! Our extended vans on the lot here are a few grand over that for an 08.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Have I told you guys about the punk in the Jap crap we had to blow away on the highway in my 6.0? I let off after the first time and let him get a run on me then I punched it again and walked away. Man I hate them kids and their little toys.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom