4 cylinder engine vs small engine

Name
I'm Rick James
I have a spare 23 HP engine I am going to get some work done on and use it next spring.

After looking at some prices for new, would it be more practical to go with a 4 cylinder engine vs a small 23-35 hp engine. I think Stanley Steemer still uses the 4 cylinder with their machines and they run I believe a 56 blower.

If you were building a TM is it more practical (besides cost) to use a larger engine with a larger blower? Or will it just add more bells and whistles.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Depends on how mechanical you are....

i love my nissan, and if it goes, i will truck on over to a foreign motor place and get a low mileage one....and then pay to have it fit.....

with out a doubt i love the 4 cyl over the 2cyl

Name
I'm Rick James
With my air cooled briggs, its pretty simple.. but I wonder about all the extra attachments and wiring that goes into the 4 cylinder.

I was just going to use the extra briggs i have for a new TM build next year to put into another van, but was thinking of just going bigger.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You can either pay up front or pay in the end. Nothing wrong with either choice but we prefer to pay up front.

If you don't have the funds then a lower investment is the best way to go but if you can afford more of an investment up front then you won't have to deal with powerplant issues for 10-years or so.

The liquid cooled engines have been very durable and problem free for us. The larger powerplants are not operating at peak and so there is less stress than those operating at max.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Caduceus said:
With my air cooled briggs, its pretty simple.. but I wonder about all the extra attachments and wiring that goes into the 4 cylinder.

I was just going to use the extra briggs i have for a new TM build next year to put into another van, but was thinking of just going bigger.

like what???

depends i guess if you want to have all the "fail safes" on there...and i suppose a EFI may have a bit more wires....but a carb motor, has nothing more then the aircooled....

cept maybe the mounting or how you would setup the radiator....

truth be told....... I think every water cooled should have the heli-coil, paired up with a fuel burner...

I took out the (turned out to be hella clogged) exchangers....left the heli-coil and it is a bad ass mama jama.....

plus i think it helps to regulate the heat in the summer as well....just my thought....

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I just had some repairs done on my Kohler, it was backfiring when I gave it fuel. I took it into a shop, he checked it out and it turned out to be just the ground wire was loose. The mechanic tested it, revving it up and covering the vac inlet. He said he couldnt pull his hand off till he revved it down. I only change oil, plugs and air filter; no rad or coolant to worry about. Been there with the Big Red, don't miss it. One more potential for challenge.
I think the only ones worried about a lawn mower engine is other cleaners; customers think it looks industrial and they don't complain about the results.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom