"A Blast from the Past"

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Does any one still remember these two old machines sold around 1978-80 ? Bet Jim Pemberton might remember?

Man, those were the days..............................

Go to EBay and use:

Cross American Heat Xchange system XPS 4000 carpet cleaning extractor

Yes, I remember Ed.

Its easy to joke about not liking to be reminded of one's age. I have to say though that things like this remind me how much I've enjoyed growing up and being a part of this industry.

Its given me everything I have, and some of the best friends a man could ask for.

Rob Grady

Name
Rob Grady
I still have one of those at my shop, Ed. It was my second introduction to hot water extractors after the RugBug. Prior to that, I used this system for Rotary pad cleaning.

20190820_111453.jpg 20190820_111557.jpg

randy

Name
Randy
Ed, That unit has been on eBay for three years. I hope the seller upgraded.

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
Randy;

Yes, those units are very, very old and older technology. Thus that doesn't surprise me.

Jim;

I'll never forget the "old days" when we had booths next to each other at SEVEN SPRINGS! I always had great conversations with your wonderful Father and his wife. That show was a blast; one of our favorites.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Went there every year but the last one got food poisoning.
Thought I was going to die.

The seafood buffet was legendary, but I'm sad to say you arent the only one who got nailed by partaking in it.

Having had food poisoning once myself, I would agree. Not only did I think I would die, I was wanting to as well.

• Wow
Reactions: Kenny Hayes

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
The seafood buffet was legendary, but I'm sad to say you arent the only one who got nailed by partaking in it.

Having had food poisoning once myself, I would agree. Not only did I think I would die, I was wanting to as well.

It wasn't the buffet that got me.
Rolled in late at night and stopped at one of the other places to eat.
Said mmm that marinated steak salad sounds good.
I knew there was something "off" about it all the way through it
but after 7 hours on the road was starved.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
It wasn't the buffet that got me.
Rolled in late at night and stopped at one of the other places to eat.
Said mmm that marinated steak salad sounds good.
I knew there was something "off" about it all the way through it
but after 7 hours on the road was starved.

When I lived on the road (back when we met), I once had dinner with Jim Roden, the late founder of Prochem. I ordered a steak salad, and he stopped me:

He said: "If you are going to live on the road, never order a meat salad at a restaurant. They are a major source of food poisoning"

Sorry it happened to you Kevin.

Reactions: Ed Valentine

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
Back in the day when attending all those trade shows, we always made it a policy to go out and eat elsewhere at a decent pub or restaurant. A bunch of us from various booths would have a great time.

BTW, Jim, do you remember the handmade chocolates that Frank Kuse would had out? His mother made those by hand. Great job!

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Back in the day when attending all those trade shows, we always made it a policy to go out and eat elsewhere at a decent pub or restaurant. A bunch of us from various booths would have a great time.

BTW, Jim, do you remember the handmade chocolates that Frank Kuse would had out? His mother made those by hand. Great job!

Yes I do.

Frank was one of a kind.

The gravely voice of a mobster leg breaker, a heart of gold.

I miss him still.

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
Jim;

"The gravely voice of a mobster leg breaker, a heart of gold."

You
forgot to mention the comb he had in his back pocket!

BTW, do you also remember Don Berland of AMS Supply? He passed away about 3 months ago.

• Sad
F

FB7777

Yes I do.

Frank was one of a kind.

The gravely voice of a mobster leg breaker, a heart of gold.

I miss him still.
Frank Kuse was the first salesman to introduce me to truckmounts when he was with White Magic in Salisbury MA

Still remember climbing in the back of a straight job box truck with a Direct drive and 2 slide ins installed

He was very knowledgeable, but made me a bit nervous as he was chain smoking in the back and the truck was a filthy mess with gas rags , oil and all types of other flammable shit on the floor

Might have been a White Magic guy if the equipment and manufacturing plant didn’t make Larry Cobbs warehouse look like a palace

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
He was very knowledgeable, but made me a bit nervous as he was chain smoking

That was Frank for sure.

Great story:

He taught carpet repair for us. He also used a swear word in every other sentence. We'd get complaints from students, and I worked with him on it.

After a lot of practice, he seemed to be Ready for Prime Time.

It the midst of the class he casually sat on the edge of a display table, and right on to carpet tackstrip!

His eyes opened wide...his lips parted...and I looked from the back of the room with a gaze that said: "You are off the hook on this one buddy..."

Instead he let loose with what became his replacement exclamation:

"Jesus, Mary and Joseph!"

His other one was:

"You pot licker!" It doesn't take much imagination to know what it replaced.

Damn I miss the guy....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom