A gallon of Laundry Detergent spilled on carpet

Name
R.J. Povio
A Customer wants to know if we can remove a whole gallon of spilled laundry detergent on a carpet in her laundry room? We have had bad experiences with the waste tank foaming up when people use a bunch of resolve or woolite type products let alone a whole gallon of laundry liquid soap. What would someone use to attempt to get rid of a spill such as this? We already told the customer that the carpet might need replacement, but she is willing to let us try something first. Any thoughts and or specific product names would be a huge help. I have had small amounts of laundry soap spilled on carpets in the past (never a whole gallon), and we have applied liquid defoamer right to the carpet and it seemed to work some when flushed with straight water.

Name
I'm Rick James
I had that happen twice at my own house and the best soulution is to replace the pad. If not expect to go back.

Also the concentrate can also discolor the carpet.

Ryan

After you extract it like Lee said soak it down with some cold water and take a spot claw too it.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
put a bunch of defoamer on it, and in the hose, then put your water claw on it and dump water around the water claw. and run the truckmount on high

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
Doesn't Jeremy have a device he made that would work great for that.

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
Cleaned up about four of these types of spills.

Medium water claw, open qd with cool water and defoamer.

Works great.

A

amazingcleansc

on second thought. you wont get it out of the pad in any kind of efficient manner. replace carpet pad. acid rinse it out of the carpet.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
First figure out what type of pad it is. If its a slab rubber or some of the new urethane, the spill most likely stayed in the carpet only. In this situation, like others prescribed, water claw, cold water, acid rinse and lots of defoamer, you probably woudln't be a bad idea to add a liquid defoamer to your waste tank to start with. Then flush and rinse until you get it all out.

Name
I'm Rick James
amazingcleansc said:
on second thought. you wont get it out of the pad in any kind of efficient manner. replace carpet pad. acid rinse it out of the carpet.

It is very true you will never get it out of the pad, it will just keep coming back. The question is will you. As a Laundry Soap clean up guru like me, you should just replace the pad.

I cleaned up a small spill (about 8 oz) of liquid laundry concentrate a while back. Used rinse master. I sprayed it on heavy and scrubbed in with a hand brush then extracted with lots of water. came out perfect ,No de foamer needed the rinse master kills foam as well.

Chads

Supportive Member
Well there always is the option of cutting out carpet where the spill was and pad replace pad and take carpet outside somewhere and flush with waterhose or if you got a rug plant to do it for you.

randy

Name
Randy
A great job to use a steamin demon on, back n forth for about a 1/2 hour and lots of defoamer.
That being said you will have a wicking situation unless the pad is replaced, so if the carpet is a few years old PULL IT.

Name
R.J. Povio
i didnt use Rinse Master. I did use Matrix's Rinse and seemed to work ok. I could not fully remove the blue color from a light gray carpet nor all of the foamy/laundry detergent! I sprayed defoamer directly on the carpet and it definately didnt foam much. I did what people said, put the TM at a low speed and dump loads of cold water on the carpet and water claw/extract with vac only. After just vaccuming the area, i used the wand with the Matrix rinse. I did get alot of it out, but not even close to all of it. It litterally was a whole gallon of LIQUID ERA laundry detergent. Whem custy called we told her from the start that she was probably SOL. I wanted to try it for my own knowledge as I have never done a spill that big before. She also had spots where the kids walked through the big spill and got tiny footprints on the rest of the carpet. Those spots came right out after a good rinse. Thank you anyway guys for the advice/help.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom