A Question

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
The Idea is that just about anyone can make a better hamburger than McDonalds
And yet they make more money than all of us...Why?

Because they are not in the Hamburger Business. They are in the people business.
They are heavy into Marketing... To people.

They idea is you don't have to be the best carpet cleaner to make the most money.

Most independents focus way to much on being a better cleaner and not on being a better Marketer...is that a word? Or a better business owner.

Not suggesting that you become the McDonalds of Carpet Cleaning but something closer to that would make your life a lot better.

Unless of course you don't care about money... in which case, why are you doing it anyway?

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Hopefully everyone understands that we/they are business people first and carpet etc. cleaning just happens to be the action that creates revenue to the business. I agree that we are primarily trying to service a need and there are lots of ways to do that whether it be McDonalds, Ponderosa, Outback Steak House, Ruth's Chris etc. Each has its own niche of prospects, with McDonalds and other fast food business having the lions share. I believe it is due to many things, marketingcertainly one of the powerful ones & in addition:

Systems (KISS) so that low paid uneducated or elderly people can quickly learn and produce the same results worldwide

Equipment that enhances the speed and freshness of delivery

Locations that appeal to impulse stopping or placed on high traffic roadways.

Supplier relationships that give them consistant products and ingredients worldwide so that the burger tastes virtually identical in Detroit MI as it does in Moscow.

Ken

rick imby

Name
Rick
Brian Robison said:
The Idea is that just about anyone can make a better hamburger than McDonalds
And yet they make more money than all of us...Why?

Because they are not in the Hamburger Business. They are in the people business.
They are heavy into Marketing... To people.

They idea is you don't have to be the best carpet cleaner to make the most money.

Most independents focus way to much on being a better cleaner and not on being a better Marketer...is that a word? Or a better business owner.

Not suggesting that you become the McDonalds of Carpet Cleaning but something closer to that would make your life a lot better.

Unless of course you don't care about money... in which case, why are you doing it anyway?

I thought this might be a Trick Question but your answer is wrong. If you have read much about Mcdonalds you would realize they are not in the Burger business they are in the French Fry business. Yes I can make a better burger but I cannot make better fries and I would bet you $5 you cannot make anywhere near as good of fries.

I would say they are in the Marketing to Kids business. They have always worked hard to addict the next generation to Mc Ds.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
My question is why is who makes the most money important?

Be true to yourself, if money is what motivates you then you are going to build a different business than someone who is looking for the satisfaction of excelling in quality, or someone looking for a low stress, simple job to own.

We all have our priorities, if they were the same, all businesses would be the same.

Good point on the fry issue. McD's does have the best fries, if I'm gonna cheat on my diet, most times it will be a stealthy drive through McD's for a fry. :oops:

The hardest part is figuring out what is most important to YOU and building a business with that in mind.

Take care,
Lisa

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
McDonalds fries are horrible. Carl's Junior had the best until they changed them. Why? probably too expensive (vortex) to market and McDonalds knew they could "sell" their crappy fries to anyone who would fall into that trap.

I am only saying IF you want to make money you better work on Marketing to People. Once you get a good product or service you have to sell it to someone.
If you want to make it better then you will market it to less people because your price will go up. There are way more people in this world with little money than a lot of money. It's a little different with services...I understand that...a crappy service probably won't last as long...but even that can be marketed.

You can still get those crinkle cut fries at some good restaurants but they won't make the money that McDonalds makes.

Oh, Dell taco has them too...not bad...we'll see for how long.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
truckmount girl said:
My question is why is who makes the most money important?

Take care,
Lisa

Money gives you the most options...doesn't mean you are the most important.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Carl's used to have fries that were formed from a mashed potato product, but they switched from those way back in the early 80's...we called them "mush fries" and you either loved them or hated them. I loved them. Del Taco has good fries, but they are just crinkle cuts, not mush fries. I still think McD's fries rule for what's available now. The worst fries, IMHO are In-N-Out's.

Money gives you more options, but it isn't every person's priority. of the three scenarios I listed above, I would rather own a low stress job. But that's just me, we're all different.

Take care,
Lisa

hogjowl

Idiot™
As you age in this business, and the responsibilities of life collect on you, you become less and less worried about presenting the "perfect" cleaning and more about giving the customer what she wants. (A good visual cleaning at a reasonable price.)

Suppliers who are out of the cleaning loop can be tolerated when they fail to get that point.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Actually money IS the most important thing. Unless you hunt ALL your food build your own house etc. It's how we survive and you have nothing without that.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
McDonald is not in the "People" business at all.
They are in the:
Packaging business.
Attracting customers through "extortion"- The little kids want the latest movie toy.
Predictability- the same tired old sh... again and again with very little quality variations.

If they, or any large company, were in the people business they will not be able to compete, as the mom and pop shops give you better food and treat you better.

They, however serve the market that want fast, cheap and consistent (though lousy) food. They are run very efficiently and have the advantage of large scale (see Walmart) a very efficient marketing and execution.

They are not, however, in the people business. they could not care less.

Ever meet a McDonald franchise owner that at the end of the day leans back and says to the wife: boy, I served my clients some hearty good food today!

Very well run franchise though.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
By "People Business" I mean the "Getting People business" Or "knowing People Business".

They know what people want...which is

convenience and cheap prices
People are lazy or busy....usually both.

Not everyone wants that....they go to the Mom and Pop (these are the people I market to....less people but more money per person)

So NAAAHHH. :wink:

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
So,

Use this post to brainstorm for your own business.

Since people are busy or lazy.

Think of all the ways that you can make it easy, convenient and almost effortless for your clients to:

1.Select and choose your business.

2.Reserve their initial appointment or get more information

3.Prepare for their cleaning

4.Easy on the client's time.

5.Complete the payment transaction.

6.Refer their friends

7.Set up their next appointment.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Dave's got it.

The people we want are the people willing to pay for quality because we provide a service and not a product.
Those people want to pay to have all those things probably because they are on the busy side...and maybe a little lazy...or how I like to put it..."Efficient".

People will pay more for a limo than a taxi....if that is the lifestyle they are in.

Provide someone with a taxi and they complain about the smell.

Give them a limo and they think they are living the high life.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
No. Money IS NOT everything.

I've never wanted to be wealthy. Just live a simple, low stress, comfortable life.

The Mexican Fisherman

A boat docked in a tiny Mexican village. An American tourist complimented the Mexican fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took him to catch them.

"Not very long," answered the Mexican.

"But then, why didn't you stay out longer and catch more?" asked the American.

The Mexican explained that his small catch was sufficient to meet his needs and those of his family.

The American asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

"I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a siesta with my wife. In the evenings, I go into the village to see my friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs...I have a full life."

The American interrupted, "I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you!

"You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat. With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers.

"Instead of selling your fish to a middleman, you can negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant. You can then leave this little village and move to Mexico City, Los Angeles, or even New York City! From there you can direct your huge enterprise."

"How long would that take?" asked the Mexican.

"Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years," replied the American.

"And after that?"

"Afterwards? That's when it gets really interesting," answered the American, laughing. "When your business gets really big, you can start selling stocks and make millions!"

"Millions? Really? And after that?"

"After that you'll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take a siesta, and spend your evenings drinking and enjoying your friends!"

That illustrates what is really important in life.

Take care,
Lisa

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Money IS everything if you want to have anything else.

Or why would you work?

I'm not saying that you have to have millions...but you still have to have some to survive.

Brian I completely agree with everything you have said in this thread. We all want to be the best and most professional but that does not neccessarily lead to more money in our pockets. I have worked very hard the last few years building up my reputation. I used to be in the yellow pages and still get calls almost daily. Nothing makes the phone ring like a yp ad even if 99 percent of the people are price shopping. Not trying to brag or anything, but my first year in business I had a simple in column ad with low price points and was averaging a gross of 3 grand a week. The ad only cost 350 a month. I made the decision that I really wanted to focus on building my business with great customers and now almost all of my new customers are through referrals. It still gets old having so many people call me and not using my service becasue I am too high. I could easily offer them a basic bonett clean or low moisture cleaning for a cheaper price and then charge extra for truck mounted cleaning but I don't want to mess up my reputation. I just hate throwing money away. I am giving serious consideration of starting a new company. I mean all I have to do is get a business license. My van is plain and unlettered. Then if someone calls price shopping I could refer them to my other company and use some good old upselling. I would not be worried about trying to keep their business. My goal would be to just make as much money as possible. Right now I am leaving a ton of money on the table because I just give my customers a great cleaning with no bs and in return I get a ton of referrals and repeat customers. Then I think I would be better off just continuing to do what I am doing and make an extra effort to focus on quality customers. I guess I am just going to focus on repeats for now.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I like how Howard Partridge & Steve Toburen have put. Money is a means to allow one to enjoy and do the things that they want in life. Success to means being able to do those things that give my life purpose i.e. working with and supporting an animal rescue org http://mi-aan.org/photogallery.html and other charity groups as well as to pursue other passions. There is no sense to me in thinking of it as winners & losers or judging myself based on others perceptions or wants.

Ken

Brian Robison said:
Money IS everything if you want to have anything else.

Or why would you work?

I'm not saying that you have to have millions...but you still have to have some to survive.

Or you could just live like Kramer on Seinfeld.

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
Good thread.

Although I would say that McDonalds is in the real estate business.

If there were no more crappy, kid marketed, packaged food, they still have what would be considered prime locations in any of the towns/cities they're in.

Bet Ray Kroc didn't have that in mind when he started throwing up Golden Arches.

CleanEvo

Money isn't everything and McDonalds has good fries, oh and a Big Mac doesn't look anything like it does in the pictures, but it still tastes good.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
McDonalds owns more Real Estate than anyone else in the world so you are correct on that one. But they were able to accomplish that through people.

Even if you beg for your food or live under an overpass in a box...those things still came from money. People still paid money to help you.
You have to have people first but you wouldn't have people without reward.

And good God their frys are horrible...people are brain washed...they used to be good until they made them all "healthier" and all that.

Give me in-n-out Burger frys any day...they cut the tators right there in front of you...you just can't wait too long to eat them or their not that great.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Oh, and Big Macs went down hill as soon as they took them out of the styrofoam containers.

Their marketing is so good that they have the worst product in the world and still make Billions.

Hell I went their the other day.
I had a cheesburger and frys...and yes I was thinking of Lisa...Lord help me.
:wink:

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
There is a difference between having enough to meet your family's immediate needs and live a simple, happy existence and what you are after.

Read that story again.

On your deathbed (and none of us knows when our time will be up) you will never wish you had tweaked that flier/website one more time, did just one more job, made one more deposit into your checking account, or become the go-to cleaning company in your area. Most likely you'll wish you had spent more relaxed and intimate time with spouse, children, family and friends, wish you had taken those trips you put off for work, did that project car with your son/daughter.

My late husband died suddenly at the age of 39 from a stroke. I regretted the hours he spent comuting to work...hours he missed with his young children, I regretted petty arguments and misplaced priorities. A blow like that teaches you what is really important....and believe me, it's not what you are striving after now.

Live life like you have a terminal illness. Because in reality we all do.

Take care,
Lisa

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I live for my legacy...which my kids will inherit. I love what I do and I love that I can do it with my family.
To each his/her own regrets but don't hold that to another.

If you only knew what I worked for you probably wouldn't have written that to me.

Regret comes with every death. It's undeniable. it's one of the stages you go through, like it or not.
But it is only a stage. I spent years with my Brother and I still regreted things when he suddenly passed. I didn't even like my ex-wife when she suddenly kicked the bucket...yet I still had regrets. But they were unwarranted in both situations.

Name
jack zerkie
Are we voting on the best burger, all I know is I eat a double cheese 4 days a week and on the fifth I eat a 5 guys or brown bag burgers and if I,m still hungry hot dogs are great five days a week, love fast food at least they will know what killed me.
Jack Z.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom