A Question

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
ACE said:
Thinking of selling Franchises Brian? :roll:

It would have to be the Un Un Franchise...Chem-Dry almost had it right but they got greedy quick.

If you can sell something to somebody to make them rich, it will make you richer than your wildest dreams.
Most Franchises say it's a great deal, but is it?

Man, if you can just be honest with people AND have a good product, you can take over te world.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Brian, I didn't mean to be offensive. I'm sorry.

What I meant and may not have put correctly, is that your kids probably don't care as much about that business as you ever will. When a business (the legacy you wish to leave them) is inherited, usually the kids just mess it up and eventually lose it. If it's a big biz, it has a board of directors who can sieze the reins and prevent collapse, but small family businesses usually just dry up and wither away after the founder dies/retires. A few don't, but most do. Maybe you will build something that they can sell after you die, and i'm sure they would appreciate that, but don't think they won't blow the money like most do when they receive a windfall.

If the business makes you happy, do it for you. Just remember that money isn't everything, being the biggest, the best, the dominant company means little if you are spending time and energy that would make you happier if spent with family, friends, hobbies and travel.

There is plenty to be said for the owner/op who does two or three jobs a day, is home when his kids get home from school. Doesn't work weekends and has a small but loyal client base. he will have next to zero for marketing and advertising, low overhead and a lot less stress. he may not be able to afford a home in a posh section of town...or all the toys, but he pays the bills and has enough to do what he and his family enjoy. He is SATISFIED with what he has.

That is what I'm looking for! That's what I get from you, you are never SATISFIED with how things are, your website, your business, your marketing...relax before you give yourself a heart attack. Enjoy life and don't worry about the legacy. The most important legacy you will ever leave is how you touched people's lives while you were alive. Time spent having fun together is much more important a legacy than a carpet cleaning business.

Take care,
Lisa

royalkid

Supportive Member
Name
Gulf Coast Carpet Care
wow...very good thread...some deep stuff Lisa/Brian...thanks for sharing :) You both got me thinking :?:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
No offense taken, Lisa. I like you a lot and you are really able to get your point (or you heart) across in what you write. I envy that. I usually come across as an asshole.

The legacy I speak of is really just the thought of me taking care of my family after I am dead. I wouldn't wish carpet cleaning on any of them (kids) they can do what they want. I just want to provide that vehicle. I work hard because my Dad and Stepdad did...but I learned from their mistakes. My Dad was too safe and my Stepdad was too reckless.

I really love what I do...even the carpet cleaning part isn't too bad. I am really just dealing with people, helping them solve their problems and creating a company that is true to both the customer and the worker.

I am at a point now that I can take any direction that I want. I can slow down and run steady or put it into high gear. yes I am a crazy A.D.D. never stop and happy with nothing C.F.O. of a very small but growing corporation but my family always comes first.

I've had my daughter from day one by myself because her real mother took off and I wouldn't let her take the kid on her drug induced journey. I've had her through a bad marriage (and the wife ended up dieing after the divorce) and still have her...and she is as crazy and A.D.D. as her dad. I took care of my developmentally disabled brother for years until he died suddenly and un expectantly a few years ago. I am now taking care of my father who is loosing his mind and his cancer is coming back and also my mother who hasn't seen a doctor in years...so God knows what's wrong with her.
I am heavily involved in my family...I just have to stay up late. That works out for the Mary Kay girl I am seeing now because she does most of her work in the evenings anyway. I am not sure I sleep, I will have to check on that.

Anyway, this has been a moment with Brian.
Just didn't want you to think that work is all I do...but the money is the most important thing because without it, I would have none of what I mentioned above. I would be living in a cardboard box wondering where my Daughter was living an how much her Mother was Whoring her out for and thinking about the rest of my family and whether or not they were living or dead.
So money IS everything on earth in the sense of like God is everything in heaven...without God there is nothing...yes those other things are very important...so important that you make money in order to have them.

Did anyone actually read all of this?.
:roll:

klewis4

Yes, I read all of it. I think this is my favorite thread I've seen on here. It's given me lots to think about today.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Yes, I read it all too.

I'm glad you've done so much with your life. And also that you've done well by so many.

I'm not saying NO money is good, just that life is not a constant quest to have more...sometimes we are better off to be satisfied with a humble living....enough to live a quiet and humble life.

You have a drive and competitive nature that can take you far or be your undoing. Glad to see that thusfar you have done an apparently excellent job of channeling that nature.

Sometimes is the quest to have more, we lose what's really important. I'm an advocate of a simple existence.

Take care,
Lisa

braddaddy

Money is great...Its the LOVE of money that is bad. Money helps us be,do,aquire,share, etc with our family. The love of money keeps us from our families, makes us turn our backs on our families, etc....
Mcdonalds' product is the sale of food... not the food.
They market to moms... moms decide where and what most families eat... kids dont buy. Parents do... and usually the moms decide what and where.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom