A recent lippage removal and regrout

David Gelinas

This floor is about 10yrs old with fairly wide grout lines; ¼" down to zero/abut. Lippage was pretty bad as well, in some areas as much as 1/8th inch. We brought the floor up to 1,500 and THEN the homeowner decided he thought the floor would look better if we regouted it. Talk about the “cart before the horse”. I had the guys go through with the Fine where they could use it but for the most part they needed to cut it out with a utility knife. They regrouted it and then we quickly went back over the floor with 1,500s to remove haze/residue. Once the floor was ready we Powder Polished it. Regrouts are no fun; regrouts after you’ve already diamond polished and you can’t slip with the knife anywhere is really no fun! Over all the floor came out pretty good I think.

David Gelinas
Marbleguy

PS I hope these pix work right

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Nice work, brother. Hope you are doing well. Give my greetings to the family.

Scott Warrington

RickL

Dave great job as always!! Why did they decide it would look better regrouted after it was polished?
(don't see how you managed with out my help :shock: )

TimP

Very awesome pics.....if I could see me getting work to do that I'd love to learn in. Just not much market for it in my area.....at least that I know of.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Looks great Dave. Travertine?. Is this the one you did recently with your class. One of my competitor / friends Pedro attended your class. Haven't talked to him since.

Albert

David Gelinas

Hi All, thanks for the nice comments.

Scott – The families doing well, our oldest & his wife have been down in Guyana for a month now and will be for another 8 months helping w/ ASL.

RickL – It was very difficult not having you there to get us through but somehow we managed. In spite of grinding the living day lights out of the floor there was even still a few areas where the grout was lower than the stone surface and had a different appearance. Just makes it all the more challenging to cut out the grout after all of your diamond work is done. To bad I had to leave two of the guys to do the regrout while I got set up for our last class. Its nice to be the boss . . . sometimes.

Tim – You’d be surprised, once you know how to do the work and start telling people all the things you can do for them will you’ll get the work. Today alone I’ve gotten calls from N.C. and one from Virginia pertaining to work in Pensacola.

Bill – Thanks for the nice comment. One thing I really enjoy about stone is that it keeps you guessing. I figured on this job I might be able to get everything down stairs done in hopefully two days (That was before we needed to regrout) possible three. Outside of the regrout it did take 3 for downstairs but we tried something knew in the shower upstairs and it added a day to that part of it. ‘Course unless you try new things you’ll never learn new things – its all part of the fun.

Albert – Pedro told me all about you and how he was gonna go home and whoop up on you now that he’d been to school. No obviously I’m kidding. Pedro was great, I’m really looking forward to seeing how he does. Very intelligent and articulate guy, I’m sure he’ll do well – it was great having him here for the class. I told him to make sure he keeps in touch so I can help him out as he needs it. These pics are of a job we did just before the school of a Crema Marfil floor. There are some pics of the trav floor we did for the school but I don’t have them here right now, I’ll post them when I get them.

Thanks again for all the nice comments, please let me know if I can ever help any of you out stone or any other hard surface.

David Gelinas
Marbleguy

TimP

David Gelinas said:
Hi All, thanks for the nice comments.

Tim – You’d be surprised, once you know how to do the work and start telling people all the things you can do for them will you’ll get the work. Today alone I’ve gotten calls from N.C. and one from Virginia pertaining to work in Pensacola.

David Gelinas
Marbleguy

I live about 180 miles from Pensacola. I don't know if I want to travel and spend nights away from home. I'd probably be willing to drive 80 miles in one day one way but that's about it. I'd love to learn the trade but like I said I doubt there is enough around here for me to get into it.

Back
Top Bottom