A thought for brian r

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
As the moderator of this board I would like to see you post more threads about networking and sales ideas. I know your primary job is to bust everyones balls and tell them how crappy their website is , however as the self proclaimed sales guru I really would like to see some more informative threads. There are several simple ways to network with others and millions of new sales ideas, I really think if we had some solid informative threads to get peoples brains churning I really think we could get some really good ideas for sales. I am in need for some new ideas for sales amd referals and would really enjoy the chance to brainstorm with the members of this board.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
junior 82 said:
As the moderator of this board I would like to see you post more threads about networking and sales ideas. I know your primary job is to bust everyone's balls and tell them how crappy their website is , however as the self proclaimed sales guru I really would like to see some more informative threads. There are several simple ways to network with others and millions of new sales ideas, I really think if we had some solid informative threads to get peoples brains churning I really think we could get some really good ideas for sales. I am in need for some new ideas for sales and referrals and would really enjoy the chance to brainstorm with the members of this board.

How about this.... !gotcha!
DO NOT PANIC....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a rookie mistake... :idea:

Junior...I think you are a good egg...!
Soooo..Pay attention...!

We are experiencing a "Double Dip" recession...GOT-IT...!
The BEST thing you can do in the CURRENT economy is NOTHING... :shock:
Investing large amounts of "precious" capital at this time is FUTAL.... :!:

You will be ADVERTIZING TO EMPTY POCKETS... :oops:
While many here will SHOTGUN profit's in this economy...They are DESPERATE & will LOSE..!
TIGHTEN YOUR BELT...!!!!!! and hope to LIVE to fight another DAY.... !gotcha!

KEEP the doors open....&.... your business will GROW in the near FUTURE...simply from the
attrition of the FOOLS panicking & feeding the advertising GURU'S with their LAST DROP of
limited CAPITAL... :twisted:

BE PATIENT....!!!!! Once the OREO COOKIE is removed from the vANILLA ...WHITE HOUSE..!
A LOT OF CASH WILL COME OFF THE SIDELINES.... !gotcha!

Those that are left STANDING in ANY INDUSTRY...Will recognize HUGE WINFALLS... :mrgreen:

Do not look to EXPAND your client base @ this time...MAXIMIZE you current job's & CUT your
OVERHEAD... :idea: You will be FINE.... 8)

ps This is NOT a DeFeaTisT attitude...it is GOOD business management... !gotcha!
NOT MY 1ST RODEO.... :idea:

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Wow- I usually find nuggets that I agree with Joe on but in this one I am 100% in DIS-agreement. I am doing everything exactly the opposite of what Joe said and my cleaning businesses are thriving and taking market share in a greatly shrunk detroit market. It is the ones that are doing what Joe says that I hear all the time complaining of how much bus they have lost.

dday

Ken Snow said:
Wow- I usually find nuggets that I agree with Joe on but in this one I am 100% in DIS-agreement. I am doing everything exactly the opposite of what Joe said and my cleaning businesses are thriving and taking market share in a greatly shrunk detroit market. It is the ones that are doing what Joe says that I hear all the time complaining of how much bus they have lost.

Thank you, Ken.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Ken Snow said:

I agree with Ken also,

In these times people are looking for value and they are wanting to hold on the what they already own. This makes maintenance /service industries that provide good value very sought after. (Notice that when I say good value it does not necessarily mean low price.)

The other wonderful thing about advertising now as opposed to the past is that networking, getting your name out on the web and spreading the word about all the good things your company provide is easier and cheaper(Can be almost free) than ever before.

You can level the playing field with the big boys for peanuts.

Now is the time to take action.

Innovative companies are made during times like these.

While the ones that get along doing what they used to do and attempt to wait it out perish.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Dave Yoakum said:
[quote="Ken Snow":b0sndbkl]Wow- I usually find nuggets that I agree with Joe on but in this one I am 100% in DIS-agreement. I am doing everything exactly the opposite of what Joe said and my cleaning businesses are thriving and taking market share in a greatly shrunk detroit market. It is the ones that are doing what Joe says that I hear all the time complaining of how much bus they have lost.

I agree with Ken also,

In these times people are looking for value and they are wanting to hold on the what they already own. This makes maintenance /service industries that provide good value very sought after. (Notice that when I say good value it does not necessarily mean low price.)

The other wonderful thing about advertising now as opposed to the past is that networking, getting your name out on the web and spreading the word about all the good things your company provide is easier and cheaper(Can be almost free) than ever before.

You can level the playing field with the big boys for peanuts.

Now is the time to take action.

Innovative companies are made during times like these.

While the ones get along doing what they used to do and attempt to wait it out perish.[/quote:b0sndbkl]
I would tend to agree also. I have saw over the last couple years the most major competition in my area shrink their advertising down to nothing. Suddenly I have found my company growing by leeps and bounds despite being in a lackluster economy. I love to network and I love that networking is inexpensive and gives you so much bang for your buck. Right now I am working on a referal relationship with a chain of dry cleaning companies so we can refer eachother. I just would like to see some more interactive threads with ideas involving more than just websites

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Website are not a game changer like they were once thought to be.(Usually by those selling websites)

Networking is a little work to get them started and laid out properly. But, the fact is. If implemented right they work very well to draw in great clients and it can cost very little for this type of marketing.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Ken Snow said:

Ken,

I understand why you would disagree with my post. You have a very different modle than
most on this board. You must ALWAYS maintain volume be cause of your HIGH FIXED cost..!

I am on the phone everyday with O/O's....that are in a PANIC....! They are trying to generate
a couple of jobs a week to just break even to pay their personal bills...! These gentlemen
are choosing between paying their mortgage or hiring a SEO & running various print campaigns.

HOWEVER, I do believe you will agree "Ken" that shotgunning advertising dollars "short term"
is a BIG mistake...! My point is ....many small operations will justify "Going into debt" to
purchase short term advertising...EXPECTING an immediate ROI....!

MOST would be better off...on maximizing their effort's on the customers already they have..
as LISA W. has stated previously posted.... :idea: Some of the MOST DANGEROUS information
that comes from this board...IS..."multi-truck" owners giving advice to the small O/O... :shock:

95% of the cleaners on this board get caught up in the HYPE of every new piece of equipment
that is the mAcHinE oF tHe dAY...that can only increase production by minutes on the job......
While they ONLY work 3 hours a DAY.....3 DAYS a week... :roll: The 3K for the UNIT would
serve the O/O much better left in the BANK... :idea:

My post was NOT to suggest a NEGATIVE attitude of operation... !gotcha! It was simply
meant to CALM SOME FEARS of the small & average size company.... !gotcha!

IMO...the water restoration companies that SIT-ON Hundred's of Thousand's of equipment...
everyday...."Waiting for the phone to ring.?".... ARE THE TOUGHEST BASTURDS IN THE BUSINESS... :!: :!: 8)
"The sucessful WD companies, have LEARNED to be PATIENT." And are
prepared for ACTION...when they receive the CALL... shiteatinggrin
Their patience is REWARDED....with very PROFITABLE TICKETS... 8)

ps I was JUST offering an ALTERNITIVE options for the "little guys"... :idea:

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I'm sorry, but I have to say that I am doing what Joe says. I am not lowering my prices and am not buying new equipment. I am continuing on with my paid off equipment. Truthfully, I could raise my prices right now without a problem but don't want to be proven otherwise, so I'll wait until spring. Different strokes for different folks. The again, I have no shortage of work for 9 months out of the year.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Hey Jon,
The reason I focus so much on the web and websites is because it's easy.

My business model is different from most (if not all) here on Mikey's board and the internet is a huge factor for me.

For most guys, the internet will only do so much. It does more when you use it in the real world as well.

The internet takes away from that "local"ness. I don't care how personal you make it.

If I were to focus on one market, one city and had only 1 or 2 trucks going I would do (and have done) things differently.

For the longest time I didn't even know I HAD a google places account...just like some here.

Google found me....It took me a little time to find Google....this has got to be 10 years ago or so.

Anyway, here is your sales info that you wanted.

Visit every Networking-Leads group in your area...Letip, BNI, TNI, Chamber....you name it.
Use the internet to YOUR advantage.
Search Networking in your area on Google....You will find little groups and large groups.

These Networking groups are there for one reason and one reason only.....to make everyone involved money. Plain and simple.

So going there and "shilling" yourself is warranted, expected....and frowned upon if you don't.

It doesn't get better than that.

Your company will grow exponentially if you put time and effor into visiting these group AND then joining the best one. The hard part is finding the best one.

You can belong to one group and still visit others....I made it a point to still visit other groups.

The "excuse" or "reason" you give is because you are looking for other quality companies to refer to your customers....and that should NOT be a lie...You should utilize quality companies to help YOUR customers.

Become that "go to" guy for your customers. STay in touch with them. Let them know that if they need ANYTHING at all....To contact you first "because I network with other quality companies and I may know someone who can help you".

The most prosperous companies have a "sales" guy....this would be you.

You NEEEEED to have personality, a good heart with good intentions.....Great salesmanship cannot be faked...you have to be real and mean it.

You need to have an honest to goodness concern for other people and a willingness to help them...even it if it means they never help you.

This is where most guys lose. They expect toooo much right away and don't give enough of themselves.

There is a ton more of course....But this post is long enough.

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
Brian R said:
Become that "go to" guy for your customers. STay in touch with them. Let them know that if they need ANYTHING at all....To contact you first "because I network with other quality companies and I may know someone who can help you".
I do that same thing. I have a list and cards from other local trades that will help my clients, and there have been many times a customer has called me just to see if I knew of someone who could do sprinklers, or even chimney sweeps.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Bob Foster said:
I wish Harper was a mod in this room.

What does being a moderator having anything to do with posting meaningful threads?

Harper has the ability if he so choses to post as much as he wants....and so do you.

Being a Mod doesn't just magically make your posts.....magical.

I think that's fairly evident with all my posts. :mrgreen:

Figured I'd say it before anyone else did. :lol:

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Brian R said:
[quote="Bob Foster":1lxixprz]I wish Harper was a mod in this room.

What does being a moderator having anything to do with posting meaningful threads?

Harper has the ability if he so choses to post as much as he wants....and so do you.

Figured I'd say it before anyone else did. :lol:[/quote:1lxixprz]
No Brian being a mod doesnt mean you should have magical posts. However chiming in on every ones website and hanging yourself out there as the sales and networking superpower means you should put your money where your mouth is. If you want to be a critic you should also try and be an instructor.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
juniorc82 said:
Brian R said:
[quote="Bob Foster":vxbbmewv]I wish Harper was a mod in this room.

Figured I'd say it before anyone else did. :lol:
No Brian being a mod doesnt mean you should have magical posts. However chiming in on every ones website and hanging yourself out there as the sales and networking superpower means you should put your money where your mouth is. If you want to be a critic you should also try and be an instructor.[/quote:vxbbmewv]

Brian has offered a lot of marketing advice. Most are just to blind or stuck to see it.

Do a search

dday

Brian R said:
You NEEEEED to have personality, a good heart with good intentions.....Great salesmanship cannot be faked...you have to be real and mean it.

You need to have an honest to goodness concern for other people and a willingness to help them...even it if it means they never help you.

This is where most guys lose. They expect toooo much right away and don't give enough of themselves.

I have a good friend who is a great carpet cleaner, but he will probably never do as well as his cleaning quality would lead him to deserve because he genuinely seems to hate people, or at least strongly dislike their company. He has no respect whatsoever for his customers, and they obviously know it.

At any rate, your above points are gold, Brian, for those not too much a fool to see it.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Bob Foster said:
[quote="Dave Yoakum":mlnztdhg]Looks like Foster has a new man crush.

Hope it ends well.

I hate ugly break ups.

At the moment I only have one word for you Yoakum

Noisome
[/quote:mlnztdhg]

Now I feel like a lover scorn. :| :cry:

I told you I hate ugly break ups.

Bob Foster

Joe Harper is a very successful smaller cleaning company owner with serial success in turn-arounds aquisitions and shut downs in several businesses including several of them outside of this industry. Financially, he doesn't need to work and had come out of retirement more than once for reasons other than money for himself. Joe is all about reality checks based on experience, observation and wisdom. Plus he loves to help some of us if their not jerks.

Harp and "Theoretical-Think-Outside-the-Box" Mary are in juxtaposition to the magic, luck and hard work that makes us successful, or not. Who here doesn't enjoy the play that Harp and Mary have off of each other?

I think it would be a hoot to have Oscar and Felix together. God help us if they actually agree with each other occasionally!

FandO.jpg

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Brian R said:
The most prosperous companies have a "sales" guy....this would be you.

There you go, Jon. You've received lots of good ideas and a bit of snarky garbage in this thread. (This IS Mikeysboard, after all!) However, Brian's thought above are gold. He basically profiled how I ran my business for 16 years in a town of 12,000 people and I wound up doing 1.3 million a year in today's dollars. It isn't rocket science PLUS when you generously give of yourself to others it makes you feel good too. PRICELESS!

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Big Billy Yeadon is an unsung marketing genius for this industry, including for owner-operators. You could do a lot worse than read anything he has written:

http://sfs.jondon.com/3715/billys-book- ... -and-blogs

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom