Adobe Illustrator..

Becker

Name
Becker
Who uses it?

Wow what a powerful program for creating marketing pieces, logos, etc.

Lots to learn using the program, bought "classroom in a book", and " learn by video"

"Learn by Video" work real well for Photoshop CS6, I recommend it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Becker how hard is it on a level of 1-10. One being "easy" and ten being "why did I waste my money on this fookin too hard to learn without a Entro class in the local community college".

Becker

Name
Becker
Becker how hard is it on a level of 1-10. One being "easy" and ten being "why did I waste my money on this fookin too hard to learn without a Entro class in the local community college".

That's a tricky question. As for some turning on a computer is a 10.. :)

I'd say 7-8ish.

If you have history with photoshop then your ahead of the curve, many of the same commands.

That's why I really like the "learn by video" books.

I've always done my stuff with Publisher. Illustrator blow Publisher out of the water!

The CS6 programs are pricey. $1200-$1500.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Wow that's too much for me.

Maybe if I were younger I'd buy it and take a class......but I'm too old for that now. It would just be one more of my entrepreneurial drifts. :icon_neutral:

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
I spent many years as a Graphic Designer and have been using the Adobe suites for the last 25 years. It has had many names but the last 10 or so CS1-6 have been the configuration.

Here is how I would rank it

If you have trouble with Microsoft Word you will be wasting your money.

If you thought you were good with Publisher it might be a 8-9 for how hard it will be to learn.

If you have been using Photoshop it will be a 7-8.

CS6 will allow you to set up all your artwork for the printer or to order printing online. I use a place called Gotprint.com. I have never had a problem sending them files.

I have Ai open as we speak and am doing my graphics for lables on our van shelves.

If you where highly motivated to learn this program you could go to a community college.

I would not advise this. I have started to hire a designer to do things for me because my time is more valuable. I do alot of design in the evening it is kind of a release for me.

I would not recommend most people mess with this. You need to focus on other things in buliding you business. Good designers cost $60-$100 hour.

You would be better to clean an extra job and spend the money on design work. You will be able to clean $300 worth of carpet quicker than you can do $300 worth of design work and it will be less frustrating.

I do it because of my background

Becker

Name
Becker
I guess I'd trust Tom over me on this subject..

Personal, I enjoy using programs like cs6 for photo editing of some of my photography, messing with friends, and some business related stuff, creating.
I like creating my marketing, etc.
So, in some ways I'm in the same boat as Tom.. At the end of the day this stuff is a hobby.

So, I guess it depends on your interest, and your skill set behind the key board.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
If I were you I'd stick with it Becker, you are young enough and sharp to pursue it. As long as it's not a major distraction and just a hobby, you're good!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Richard,
The Adobe CS6 is a pretty robust program intended for professional graphic designers. Kind of like getting a fully stocked airport rescue vehicle for your commute because you want the awesome capability in case the need arises, it would be over-buying for most.

I laid down the cash for the Adobe suite (back when it was CS3) and found it useful for some things, but there are faster, simpler, easier programs that I'll choose before loading up the Adobe.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Becker

Name
Becker
OK... Never mind.. It is cool, for those with out a life such as I.. HA HA

BTW I got my CS^ design delivered for about $420. I was in a photography class. Student discount saved me a grand.

39 is not young, Not looking forward to this years 4-20 to turn 40.

The Oz might be right.....

But Oz... what programs do you recommend?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
55 I'd give anything to be 40 again....hell I'd be happy with fifty.

I'm getting short on time, I'm afraid the mothership may just call me back one of these days. ; )

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You are right! The best we can do is enjoy the age we are to the fullest, time flies by.

40- may not be young but it sure looks good from here!

It goes with your photography, I'd pursue it!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
For desktop publishing I have and don't mind using Publisher. If I were looking for a straightforward program today I'd probably buy Serif PagePlus.

For most of what I need to do with photos I use (now discontinued) Microsoft Digital Image Suite. I can do a simple crop and tone correction in the time it takes Adobe to load. ACDSee is a pretty good option for not too much money today, and simple photo editing can be done using free programs like Irfan or paint.net. Corel Video Studio for video editing.

The key to all of these program is simple. Unless you really have the ability to do a good looking layout it might be a good plan to use programs like these to do "rough" work and let a pro clean it up. Or, let a pro design a "look" for you and use desktop programs to edit that template for multiple purposes.

PS: Becker, Once you've mastered that program you can quit cleaning carpet.

Last edited:
How easy would it be for a graphic designer to learn to use a truckmount?

Illustrator is a great 'tool', that's all it is. You can learn the ins and outs of the program, but that doesn't mean the end product will be great. Graphic design is a profession in itself. Too many cleaners try to wear all the hats and...ahem...frankly it shows in a lot of the marketing material that's posted on the boards. Some of it is barely ok, some is down right embarrassing. :)

Take a lesson from Chavez. His material always looks good.

Reactions: Ken Snow

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Philip, that check will be in the mail! :winky:

Seriously I do as Bryan mentioned my design gives the actual graphic designer and idea of what I'm thinking and they can take it from there and improve upon it or many times come up with a completely different concept from the same idea.

Low print pieces I may steal some ideas from the graphic designer but I never fool myself, I know I'm a carpet cleaner. If I want it to look top notch I want a professional to finish it for me!

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
A number of years ago, I too took the plunge with a student discount on CS4.

I have used photoshop, fireworks and dreamweaver the most. I like the freedom to sit and play around with concepts as a stress relief. Stuff that may not be commercially viable, but I want to explore.

Some stuff ill go the whole way and get ready for the printers, others, ill pass on the button to a designer to fine tune and do the fine end stuff that I'm not adept at.

I haven't really played much with ai, but I should probably explore it more. I usually prepare all my YP type ads myself and often get results I'm far happier with than getting their design guys coming up with stuff that is 'dime a dozen' approach.

Recently, Adobe released an older version, I think CS3, for free. I think it was only the academic version but honestly, unless you're making a living off it, you won't really know the difference. Google it, you may find it and takes the sting out of buying the current up to date stuff and at least you can decide if its for you or not. If it is, then take the plunge and buy the current suites.

John

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Richard,
The Adobe CS6 is a pretty robust program intended for professional graphic designers. Kind of like getting a fully stocked airport rescue vehicle for your commute because you want the awesome capability in case the need arises, it would be over-buying for most.

I laid down the cash for the Adobe suite (back when it was CS3) and found it useful for some things, but there are faster, simpler, easier programs that I'll choose before loading up the Adobe.

I have cs3 web premium I agree its overkill for most things MS publisher can do most of what a cleaner needs.

My understanding is that adobe will be migrating to a cloud based software format they will ditch the cd's and In the future people will pay a yearly fee for their product you won't really own it

Becker

Name
Becker
They already have that option.

I'm sure part of the reason for that option is the initial cost of the full version.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
They already have that option.

I'm sure part of the reason for that option is the initial cost of the full version.

I was told its not going to be an option in the near future, adobe will be a monthly and yearly subscription where
you don't buy the software you use it for a fee much like a cable bill.

FredC

Village Idiot
^ I now use the creative cloud. $49/month for almost all adobe tools on multiple machines. Seems like the best fit for the way I do things.............

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Becker,

Why would you prefer Illustrator over Adobe InDesign for DTP layout? Illustrator is a vector graphics program, for which you would then use InDesign for page layout and publishing. InDesign is Publisher's professional counterpart, not Illustrator.

I think you will find Illustrator has value for graphical elements, but for assembly into a complete marketing piece, explore InDesign. Then you will be blown away.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom